0 comments

Historical Fiction Drama

“Reuben, Reuben! Are you paying attention?” Georgios asks while tugging on my garment. I stop my horse and wipe my forehead. I answer, “Yes, I’m well. I’m just a little tired from all of the traveling.” Georgios knows that I am lying. Of course, he does. We have been friends for seven years. Georgios speeds up his horse to block my horse from walking and looks me in the face. He says, “I know it’s none of my business, but you have to snap out of it! We are about to see the general soon. You don’t want him thinking you are an ungrateful Jew. You were scattered brain ever since I picked you up from your house. I saw the angry look on your father’s face. I know he is a religious man. Has our trip to the commander caused this change in your mood?” I sigh, then reply, “You’re right, It’s none of your business.” I ride my horse further away from his. Georgios rolls his eyes, sucks his teeth, and throws his hands in the air and says, “I give up.” Georgios has a point. Georgios and I about to see General Ptolemy! I could not appear before him in a bad mood. He may call off our deal because of it. My father is at fault. Doesn’t he understand that this is one of the biggest moments of my career? The Egyptian forces have paid for my ironworks to use in their battle with Syria. My work has been rumored to rival the work of Hephaestus, the God who created Hermes’ helmet and the shield of Achilles. It took me three years of hard work to achieve this level of craftsmanship.

It all started after I told my father that I have been hired to make weapons for Ptolemy’s army. I had to miss our upcoming family Torah reading in Judaea. My family and I live in Samaria and travel to Judaea this time of year for a public Torah reading and a feast with family members we would not normally see. This has been done for seventy years. My father was angry and told me not to go. I read the Torah weekly already. What is the problem? It is not like I am forsaking my religion. YHWH wants us to use our gifts and to be prosperous. I should not waste an opportunity. The Torah would always be here! I could still hear his voice in my head. The frail old man stood out of his seat and towered over me as he did when I was a child and screamed, “Reuben! How dare you disregard our family tradition!? Especially for non-Jews! I, your father forbid you from going to Egypt and to come to Judaea with your family instead! When he told me that, I lost it, stood up, got in his face, and yelled “I’m not a child anymore! Don’t expect me to put my head down and comply!” My father put his head down. His hand trembled and he knocked me to the ground! My father snarled while looking down at me and yelled,” Did you lose your mind? I birthed you! Don’t ever talk to me like that!” For an old man, he has a lot of power. He was an officer and prizefighter back in the days. He gave up fighting when my brother Shimon was born, I was about fourteen at the time. He would train me strictly in Torah and harshly in self-defense. He always taught me that men were meant to be spiritually and physically strong to protect his family. I should have seen that hit coming. I acknowledged I was wrong for yelling at him and apologized but still held my ground. I said, “Dad, I should have not yelled but I’m still going to miss the family trip and go take the job for Ptolemy.” I saw my father's anger subside and he sat back down. I stood up and wipe my mouth and explain further,” This is a once in a lifetime opportunity that I cannot pass up. The money from this battle plus the allowance I will receive when Ptolemy defeats Antiochus will cover this family for three more generations. By doing this I will continue your fathers’ legacy and secure my son's future.”

My father did not see it my way. He snarled and said, “I refuse to discuss this further. Reuben, family comes first. How did you think you became the man you are? I cannot stop you from going. Just know that I don’t support you and will not accept any of the money you may receive from turning your back on your family. Go!” He escorts me out. Georgios came to pick me up and saluted my father, “Hello Jeremy!” My father cuts him off and said, “My name is Yirmiyahu and not Jeremy! You have influenced my son enough with your Hellenistic garbage, don’t talk to me!” Then he shut the door. Georgios nudged me and asked.” What is his problem? Never mind that. We got to start our journey. May the gods guide us safely on our journey.” He looked at me puzzled and asked, “We are going to need all the blessings we could get for this trip. Aren’t you going to pray or call on your god to protect us?” I replied, “I prayed to myself.” I barely spoke to him after that. All I could think of is the argument with my father.

As Georgios and I approach Ptolemy’s camp, we are greeted by a soldier. He is a tall lean man. He tells us, “I am Demetrius, Ptolemy’s second officer. Welcome, Reuben, and Georgios.” Georgios replies,” We are gracious for this opportunity. Is the king well? How is your family?” Demetrius gives us a stern look and says, “Sorry for being blunt, but we need new weapons quickly! Antiochus army has more soldiers than we expected. The supplies are in the tent.” He hands us a bag of coins and says,” Here is half now. You’ll get the rest when the battle is over.” Then he walks away. Off to work I go. May I come home in one piece.

September 02, 2020 09:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.