0 comments

General

I live in paradise with the girl I love. The view is great, the ocean is great, the time off work is great, but something is missing. We made a big change moving here. We just wanted more time to do what we love. I didn’t realize it would mean me giving up so much of what I loved to do. The new job, well let’s just say its not really my thing. Very stagnant and stationary with coworkers that think they know everything, but they have no clue. I’m sure those types are everywhere nowadays. Don’t get me wrong, I like our change, I just really miss my rooftops and my Delia. I wonder what they did to her when I left. They probably broke her down to pieces and gave her to someone else. It makes me sick to think of my poor Delia all broken up. I especially miss the calm that happens all through your body just before you move that one finger and make the whole world explode. I was good at what I did, one of the best. Only a 5-inch spread at 1000 yards.

Those days are over though. No more traveling at the last minute and being awake for long hours. Now I get 8 hours of sleep a night and I cannot stand it. Its still weird to me. My wife keeps telling me to find a hobby because she worries that I’m not happy with our new life. I am happy, I’m just missing a piece of me I had to leave behind. I only have a few years I need to put in at the keyboard and computer screen desk job before I can retire, but I’m beginning to think retirement isn’t going to be for me. I don’t talk too much about what I used to do, with my new coworkers, because they don’t care, like I said, they know everything. Plus talking about it makes me sad.

Anna knows. She knows I was good, and I miss it. That’s why she never asked me to leave, she would have made other arrangements, so I could’ve stayed where I was. I chose to leave and start something brand new with her. I was feeling like my time was starting to be over. I made the decision. I just didn’t realize it would hit me this hard. When you work so hard to be the best at something, you can’t just walk away one day like it never happened. Unfortunately, life doesn’t work like that. Sometimes I sit on our balcony and pretend I’m on a rooftop, picking out people as far away as I could see. I factor in the angles, the passing vehicles, the temperature, the wind. Its all automatic for me really after all the years I spent doing it day in and day out. Delia was a beautiful piece of work. She never let me down, not once. Her long steel barrel painted black so the sun wouldn’t glare off, a long action bolt combined with .300 win mag rounds with the right amount of force to get the job done efficiently, the crystal clear picture from the scope, gave me just what I needed to complete every job with precision and speed. Yup, she was a beauty and I’m sure they took her apart like she was nothing. After you put in so many years with your equipment, you should get to keep it if you want to or buy it at least. So sad to think they destroyed something so beautiful, so perfect.

I watch the news everyday and there isn’t a day that goes by, anymore, where I don’t see something, I could have been a part of, I could have helped. Don’t get me wrong, they have new guys now, but do they really feel what they do in their blood like I do. In their very soul. That’s why I was so good at what I did, because it was a part of me, it was what I was put on this earth to do. My teammates used to call me The Specialist because everything had to be just right, the placement of my gun, the position of my binoculars, and when I’d shoot, well, I didn’t miss.

“Hey babe! How you holding up today?” Anna said.

“Ugh I can’t wait to go home.”

“I know, soon, just let it go and we’ll go out to dinner or something tonight. Something fun.”

“Ok”

Anna was always trying to make things better. Honestly, I didn’t want her to worry about me. I love living in paradise with her. I love her, but this job is just rough. Its just so boring and where did work ethic go? Does it not exist anymore? How hard is it to be where you are paid to be and do what you are paid to do? Sometimes, when you put the same effort into doing your job as you do trying to avoid it, things are actually easier.

That night after dinner I was sitting on our balcony playing my games on my phone, just trying to escape my day for a bit when my phone rang. My old buddy from the team, Rod, was calling.

“Hey Vic! How’s the new job treating you?”

“Eh, not great but it pays the bills you know, and I like this life here. I miss Delia and the range all the time. Gun laws just aren’t he same down here and you know they took her apart.”

“I know man, its crazy what they do to them. So, I’m actually calling because I have something you might be interested in. We need The Specialist back. We need someone like you to help us out once in a while. Hear me out! You can take assignments as you want so you make your own hours and trips can be as long or as short as you want them to be. We pay all the airfare and travel expenses and you get compensated well for your services. Its not a long-term type gig but if you miss it that much, this might work for you. I’ll even supply you with a gun once I get the specifications from Delia. I’ll send it to you. Do you have a range to use?”

Victor couldn’t believe what he was hearing. It sounded perfect and it just fell in his lap on one of his most frustrating days at the “new gig”. “Wow Rod, that sounds awesome, let me talk to Anna first and get back to you ok? I want her on board with what I decide to do since it will take me away from her sometimes.”

“Man, you’re taking this whole married life thing seriously.”

“I am. Don’t wanna mess up a good thing you know. Its too easy to do.”

“Oh, I know, just let me know ASAP. Really the sooner the better.”

“Alright thanks Rod, I will. I’ll text you.”

The next morning, Anna and I got to have a rare breakfast together. For some reason, the new job wanted us on different shifts. I was nervous about it, but I told her about my conversation with Rod the night before. Anna didn’t say anything for a little while. When she finally looked at me, she smiled and said “Vic that sounds perfect. I just want you to be happy and so far, this isn’t making you happy. If you think you’ll like it and you’ll be safe, then go do it. Plus, I’m jealous, I wish I was that good.”

“You’re the best honey. I’ll let Rod know. The extra income will be nice too with everything we have going on.” Moving to paradise was way more expensive than we had anticipated.

I’m not gonna lie, when the new gun showed up, Diana, I was so excited, I went straight to the range and spent two hours with her. I got her just right for what I needed to do.

The first job came three weeks later, and it felt good to travel again. This job landed me in New Mexico, a place I had only visited a couple times. Climbing up on that rooftop and setting up my equipment was just like riding a bicycle and it felt right. I was back where I belonged. I loved Anna for understanding and encouraging me to do this. Plus, the money was good. It would definitely help with everything we have going on back in paradise with the new house and the updates Anna wants done.

I ended up taking a job once a month, sometimes every other month. I had almost a second wind at the new job and Anna noticed too. She liked that I was happier and more energetic around the house. The extra money afforded us many opportunities to visit surrounding islands, even on weekends. We were definitely finally enjoying life in paradise as we had meant to all along.

After almost a year with the new job, I received a phone call on my trip in Wisconsin. Anna was breathless on the other end of the phone and said, “Its time.” We were done with the job, so I managed to catch an earlier flight home and went straight to the hospital. I couldn’t sit still on any of flights and I was kicking myself for taking this job. We had agreed to me going knowing it might be the last one for a few months.

I made it just in time to see little Lucy, so beautiful when she came out, all pink and all smiles, well after she screamed her head off for awhile of course. She was the cutest little baby that was ever born, and I couldn’t have been happier. I knew she was going to be my whole world. After 3 months at home with Anna and Lucy, Rod called. “Hey, I have another job if you’re interested.”

I thought about it for a bit “No thanks, I think I’m done. Do you want Diana back?”

“No Vic, that’s awesome. I’m so happy for you two. Keep Diana, she was created just for you.”

“Thanks Rod.”

“No problem man, you clearly have more than one specialty.”

The Specialist had found a new thing to be the best at. A dad. Now it was all diapers, wipes, and baby bottles and nothing could have made me happier.

February 07, 2020 23:55

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.