Dragons and Dreams

Submitted into Contest #105 in response to: Write your story from the perspective of a side character.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy Friendship Adventure

As Nera lead the charge against the dragons, I watched from the right wing. Nera and I had been friends for so long, but now that she was “the chosen one”, she didn’t acknowledge my existence. I’m not bitter, but… I miss the old days.

“C’mon, Daemyn!” Nera called, snapping me out of my sleep. “Let’s go.” I blinked at her, and she wiped her eyes. “Daemyn, I learned something horrible about the kingdom. We have to go, or else I’ll die!” Shaking my head, I groggily turned to look at her. “What?” “No time for questions, we have to go!” Nera tugged me up, then began to pack her own things. I grabbed her wrist, still confused. “Woah, woah, calm down. What-” Nera glared at me. “I had a vision. Something terrible…” She shuddered and drifted off into space. I shook my head. “Nera, how does this involve me? Why don’t you just escape, and I can stay here?” “They’ll think you know where I’ve gone. I- I saw what they’d do to you! The torture… oh, poor Milla.” Nera lifted two bags. “One for you-” “Nera.” I held out a hand. “I know I’ve always gone along with your plans, and you’ve always listened to mine, but this- it’s too much.” Nera stood still, her face hidden in shadow. “You… aren’t coming?” I shook my head. “I’m sorry, Ne-” Nera brushed angrily past me. Shocked, I turned around, but she was gone.

Now, back to the dragons- I dodged a tail, blocking an attack with my shield. Nera charged through on her horse, barely missing me. She sliced the belly of the dragon, and poisonous blood ran down it’s side. I spotted a young warrior standing in the splash zone, and pushed him out of the way. The poison landed on my face, and I winced at the pain. That’s going to hurt later. Turning to the warrior, I held out a hand. “You alright?” They nodded, then spun around, raising their sword. I let out an angry sigh. Nera’s too reckless. The prophecy says the hero will only die after all the dragons are killed, so she’s sparing no one… but there are civilians and soldiers who can get caught in the crossfire! Raising my shield, I leapt back into the fray.

Gasping, I raised my sword, and the surrounding soldiers cheered. I had taken down a fire dragon, and my armor was smoking around me. Then, an even louder roar erupted from the center of the battlefield. I turned around to see a mother dragon heading straight for me. The soldiers scattered, and I ducked, barely avoiding her horns. Nera leapt up, but as the dragon flew over head, I pulled a spear out of the fallen dragon. Using my remaining strength, I stabbed the spear into the mother dragon’s underside, hitting her heart. She let out a final roar, then collapsed in the field behind me. The world went silent, but I could see the warriors cheering. My eyes focused on Nera, who has a shocked look on her face. Then, it turned to hurt, and anger. A mage strode up to me, and as I blinked at them, they raised my hand, calling something to the crowd. The tired soldiers seemed to cheer even louder, but I closed my eyes, feeling woozy. Everything went black.

When I awoke, I blinked at the harsh light. It softened, and I sat up. Nera was lying in another bed to my right. We seemed to be in a small field hospital. Nera turned her face towards my, and I flinched at the anger in her gaze. “Hey-” “Why didn’t you spare that one? I had told the commanders to order everyone to spare the fire dragon!” Nera spat, her eyes filling with tears. I blinked at her, then began to feel angry myself. “Oh! I’m sorry I didn’t get an invite to your special commander party. I was, you know, fighting enemy soldiers!” I growled. Growled? Nera became blurry, and when my eyes refocused, she was sitting up, yelling at me. I didn’t say anything, partially because… I couldn’t. My throat had locked up. Nera didn’t notice, but as she continued to screech, I lost sight in one eye. Then the other. Everything was dark, and Nera’s yells turned to shouts. The anger melted, and she seemed… scared. Everything faded to a dull buzz. Another voice took over. So you are my new host. Very well. Shall I spare the prophecy one? The voice had a slight hissing tone, and I nodded. Alright, then. I shall save her for next time.



Someone shook me awake. “Oh, no…” I tried to open my eyes, but one hurt so much, I kept them closed. Trying to speak, I winced at the sharp pain on the right side of my face. “He was splashed with dragon blood. Not only that, it was a silver dragon’s blood. Poor child…” “He’s cursed now. How that curse will take hold, only time will tell.” I tilted my head, and the voices gasped. “He’s alive. How lucky.” “The second part of the prophecy- The life from death.” “Oh, what to do.” I shifted my head, swinging it from side to side. I couldn’t ask who the speakers were, but based off their tone of speaking and hushed voices, they were healing mages, assigned to the most deadly and destroyed patients. I’m in the Moonlight wing? I can’t see myself, so I guess I must look pretty bad. “Welcome. I am Wim.” “And I am Miw. We are the twin healers assigned to help you.” I nodded, and they let out small gasps. “Wonderful, you can hear us. Now, can you move?” I tried to sit up, but a sharp pain in my side stopped me. A cry emerged from my throat, and I flinched, feeling pain shock through me. Slowly opening my good eye, I could see I was in a wooden hospital room, and two light spirits floated nearby. One, who shone slightly blue, floated closer to me. “Hello. I am Miw.” “I am Wim.” The other muttered, flashing gold. I spotted a nearby mirror, and my reflection shocked me. I had burn scars on the entire right side of my face, over one eye, and across the edge of my mouth. The poison had spread… My eye had a gray tint to it, and my pupil had turned to a slit. Silver dots peppered the unburned side of me, and when I tried to open the side of my mouth, I could see sharp fangs. Scrambling back, and hissing at the pain, I shivered. I- I look like a dragon… 

I stared at the podium, where Nera was receiving her award. “The award of bravery in battle.” Nera stood up, the medal pinned to her golden jacket, a sign of her prophecy. I joined in the applause, then turned to Wim. Wim nodded, and Miw shut off the projection. “That was nice, wasn’t it?” I nodded, then sighed. Since my appearance would have scared the other people, Wim and Miw had gone through the procedure to get a recording of Nera’s award ceremony. In the time after I had arrived in the Moonlight wing, I had looked more and more like a dragon. Scales covered the untouched side of me, swirled horns had sprouted from my head, and even tiny wings had appeared. Miw said it has the curse of a silver dragon. No one had visited, but no one could. I sighed, then sat back, sliding my wings through the hole in the back of my chair. I’d do it again, though. I saved that young warrior. But now… I’m alone.

I sighed, stretching. It’s my first day out of the Moonlight wing, and I’m allowed to see my friends. Wim floats beside me, hidden in the sunlight. Two guards escort us to Nera’s new house. I hadn’t seen her since our fight in the field hospital, and I’ve changed a lot since then. Someone unfamiliar opens the door, and I blink at them. They gasp, reaching for something beside the doorway, but the guard shake their heads. The person glances at me with widened eyes, then disappears into the house. Nera appears, and she gasps. “Daemyn?” I nod, flicking my tail. Rrr. “He says hello.” Wim says, and Nera jumps. “Oh- hello, healer. I didn’t notice you were there. Please, come in.”

Nera shows us around the house, and we sit in the fenced-in backyard. Nera keeps glancing at me, taking in my scales, horns, and wings, while I study her garden. The scents of the flowers are overwhelming, but not in a bad way. Nera and Wim chat for a bit, and I listen in. “Yes, he’s been doing much better. He can’t speak, but Daemyn can still talk.” Wim explains, and I nod, letting out a cheerful growl. Sometimes it’s annoying, but it’s okay, as long as Wim or Miw is there to translate. “I’ve kind of settled down. The prophecy hasn’t finished yet, but it won’t for a while. I adopted a daughter, but she doesn’t like dragons, so she’s probably hiding in her room.” Nera sighed. “I feel awful… it’s my fault Daemyn was splashed with dragon’s blood. I was so reckless, that final battle…” I shrug, then hold out a talon. I’m sorry, too. Nera blinks at me, then smiles, accepting my hand. “Friends again?” Rrrrr. Best friends.

August 04, 2021 16:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rumeysa Mert
04:36 Aug 11, 2021

this story was depressing - I like to write depressing stories too (in fact I submitted one) - but this is different kind of depressing. I mean it in a good way :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.