Despair to Success

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Start your story with a character in despair.... view prompt

1 comment

Fiction Coming of Age Inspirational

Crash! There right before Iman’s very own eyes a delivery truck rammed into the car’s side sending it flying…with Arthur, his father, in it. He raced to the car while a ring of people gathered around the car. The truck driver smirked and drove away speedily. Haruko, his friend, dashed to the nearest telephone booth and called an ambulance. Iman threw the car door open and dragged his father out. All noise was muffled, tears were falling from his eyes. Iman’s mother with Lily, his little sister, raced out to see what all the commotion was about. When she saw Iman holding Arthur covered in blood and glass shards, tears flowed down her eyes as if they were a waterfall. Other women went to calm her down and console her. The ambulance reached and Iman watched the paramedics take away his poor vulnerable father. Iman was too young to go with his father in the ambulance, so Haruko’s father went instead. Iman caught the nearest cab for him, his little sister, and his mother. He directed the cab driver to go to the hospital. Once they reached the hospital Iman got the room number in which his father was in. They waited outside the room for hours. After 3 hours the doctor came out and said, “I’m so sorry for your loss but we couldn’t save him.” His mother broke down and fell to her knees crying. Iman's feet went weak, and he collapsed onto a chair. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. His father was gone. Iman was in complete despair. A week later his father’s funeral was hosted, and they buried him. A few weeks passed and things got better but nothing would lift Iman’s spirit. Haruko made sure he stayed with Iman for the next few years. Eventually Iman had to pick up a job to earn for the family. Iman started working as a librarian, but his salary wasn’t enough for the family. So, he also worked as a cashier at their nearby grocery store. Haruko and his family helped Iman’s mom pay rent, buy groceries, and multiple more things. Time flew and things started looking better for Iman and his family. He was in 8th grade and his sister was in 3rd. Iman’s mother took his place as the cashier saying he needed to focus on his studies more. 9 years passed and Iman graduated from college with Haruko. He got a job as a web developer and his salary was sky high. He traveled to Japan for work and decided to move there because of the amazing technology. His website was a huge success. Iman thought things couldn’t get better! His friend Haruko ran a company, and it was a huge success too. A few years passed and Iman decided to go surprise his mom and little sister by visiting them. He knocked on the door and his little sister opened it. She hugged Iman tight and welcomed him in. She took him to the dining room where Iman’s mom was sitting talking to Haruko. Iman hugged his mom and Haruko. They sat down and all had dinner together. A week later Iman left to go back to Japan for work. Iman met a kindhearted, beautiful girl named Lyra at a park. It was love at first sight. They started dating and dated for 2 months. Iman proposed and Lyra said yes. They got married 3 months later and lived together. Work was going well for Iman, but Iman’s company took a huge hit because someone had leaked out the company’s next invention to Iman’s rival company. Iman was hopeless. He learned that night that Lyra was cheating on him with Iman’s rival company’s manager. Lyra was only using him for money, and she was the one that leaked out the information. Iman decided to keep this to himself. A month later Iman caught on recording that Lyra leaked out the information and turned it into the police. He divorced Lyra and she went to jail. Iman decided he needed a break from all this stress and took his family on vacation to Hawaii. Iman came back two months later and had a new perspective of things. He became business partners with his rival company, and it was a huge success. Iman convinced his mother and Lily to come to Japan. He decided to let his mother find him a nice girl to marry while he worked. Iman got multiple business offers but he was careful with what choices he made. He learned he had been too quick and should have gotten to know everything better. His mother found a wonderful lady named Mira. Iman dated her for 2 whole years. Finally, Iman proposed to Mira, and she happily accepted. They married a few months later and had two kids, Hamza and Alvin. The company continued to grow to unimaginable heights. Eventually Iman’s mother passed away at the age of 93 but he stayed strong for his new family. Lily met an amazing man named Azriel. He treated Lily like a queen. So, when he proposed to Lily, and she agreed Iman approved. Lily gave birth to one child. She named him Arthur in honor of their father. Lily left back to the U.S.A. with Azriel to raise her child. Iman got too old to run the company so when Hamza turned the right age he inherited the company. The company grew to a great extent with Hamza in lead. Alvin started his own bank which also was a huge success. Iman loved to watch his sons both grow into great businessmen. Iman decided to go to the U.S.A. with Mira to visit Lily. After a few weeks Iman and Mira came back to Japan. Hamza And Alvin both said they had taken a huge hit and needed help. Iman told them how he had rushed headfirst into things and then learnt to look at things in a different perspective. He told them not to be reckless and to always take time to see situations from a different perspective.

The End!

June 21, 2024 23:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

David Sweet
22:00 Jun 22, 2024

Wow! This is a lot to unpack. I feel this is more of a synopsis to a novella or novel than a short story. If you ever wanted to fill out the details of each section with dialogue and detailed narration, it sounds like an interesting story. Welcome to the Reedsy family! I hope all goes well with your writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.