0 comments

Coming of Age Contemporary Romance

Sophia had her coat draped over her like a blanket to try and catch up on the sleep she’d missed being up in time for the 5am train. But she could not seem to drift off. Instead, she watched vague lights pass by the window and thought deeply about nothing in particular.

More passengers got on in Mallow and the once near empty carriage turned half full. A man about her own age sat in the seat across from her. He was wearing a black coat made of some quality material, like the kind your mother would buy you for mass on Christmas eve, and he had put great effort into making his hair look tousled. Out of the corner of her eye Sophia would notice him lean back in the chair and smile to himself while looking at something she could not see. He was unnaturally alert for the hour it was, she thought.

Sunlight began to trickle gently onto the black canvas. Indistinctness turned to trees, fields, roads, and the occasional house. He was watching it too.

Sophia sat up. It was unlikely she’d fall asleep now and she could see the trolley coming. The young man across from her ordered a coffee and a doughnut. He took out his card to pay.

‘I’m sorry,’ said the attendant, ‘the card machine isn’t working today.’ The young man checked his wallet.

‘I don’t have any cash on me-‘

‘I’ll get it,’ said Sophia, pulling out a €20 note, ‘and can I get a tea and a croissant please?’

‘Thank you,’ said the young man, as the trolley pulled away.

‘No problem,’ said Sophia.

‘What brings you on the early train…?’

‘Sophia.’

‘Sophia. I’m Dylan.’

‘Nice to meet you Dylan.’ She took a gulp of her tea. ‘I’m going to a job interview. Health service graduate programme. I certainly would not be up this early by choice. What about yourself?’

‘Starting a new job. I’m officially an accountant.’ He smiled as he said it. ‘So that’s why he’s so awake,’ thought Sophia.

‘And you’re going to commute up and down?’

‘No I haven’t sorted out my accommodation yet, but I’m going to stay on a friend’s couch for now.’

‘The rents are shocking, I’ve heard.’

‘They are,’ said Dylan. ‘But something’ll turn up.’ It seemed nothing could dim that smile.

‘Doughnut?’ he said, offering her a piece.

‘Sure.’

They talked non-stop for the next two hours. About the colleges they went to, their hobbies, tv shows, anything that came into their heads. The conversation flowed as though they’d known each other for a much longer time. Sophia found herself smiling.

They parted ways outside Hueston station. By this time the day was in full swing, with other travelers scrambling for their connecting buses and trams. Her destination was within walking distance along the quays. He was getting the Luas further into town.

Crossing the bridge over the Liffey she felt a hand on her back. It was Dylan.

‘Long time no see,’ she said.

‘Sorry I don’t mean to keep you, I was just thinking that we should get lunch together, meet at the GPO around 1pm?’

‘Ok,’ she said. The Luas cantered by. ‘You missed it?’

‘I’ll get the next one,’ he said.

Sophia got to the GPO early. She watched suited people dash from work to the shops and cafés, shoppers load their bags onto the buses, and tourists gazing upward, not quite sure why they were looking at a post office. Flag waving guides pointed out the bullet holes. She admired the statue of Cúchulainn in the window. She tried to remember the story from school. He was dying, but he didn’t want Queen Maeve to know, as he was the only man who defend Ulster, so he tied himself to a rock so he’d stay upright. Maeve realised he was dead when a rook landed on his shoulder.

‘Sorry I hope you weren’t waiting too long.’ She smiled at Dylan.

‘No I was early anyway.’

‘Lunch is on me,’ he said, ‘I owe you for this morning, and I think I know where to go.’

He brought her to the café in Arnotts. She got a toasted sandwich and tea.

‘Well how did the first day go?’

‘Fantastic,’ he said. She suspected there was little in life he didn’t find fantastic.

‘How was the interview?’

‘Ok, I think, I’m not sure. They said they’ll be in touch next week one way or another.’ Dylan laughed. Guys like him were never not sure.

He walked her to the Luas stop. The next one was in 2 minutes. He gave her his number.

‘Let me know if you’re coming back to Dublin.’

‘I will.’

As the Luas trundled around the corner he kissed her. Sophia was surprised but kissed him back. He was wearing nice aftershave. He smiled like he was slightly embarrassed, but only slightly.

‘In case you don’t come back, or in case you do.’ Sophia laughed, then boarded the Luas. She waved goodbye through the window.

The lack of sleep caught up with her and she dosed off on the train home. She woke up just before her stop. There was a barrage of messages on her phone. Her friends were drinking in the park.

She met them by the lake. They’d been coming here to drink for years. Joe was playing Wonderwall, as per usual, and Carl had his arm around Steph. ‘I guess they’re back on again,’ thought Sophia. She took a sip of cider. She didn’t even like cider. Two swans glided over the moon.

She wondered what Dylan was up to, probably sitting in a swanky bar surrounded by his new colleagues, laughing earnestly at the conversation, eyeing his way up the chain of command.

It was beautiful. A warm summer’s night. A castle lit up on the far shore. And yet she felt it might be the last time she’d ever do this. That it was time. Time to sit in a swanky bar drinking cocktails, secretly wishing she was standing by a moonlit lake.

November 13, 2020 21:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.