0 comments

Fantasy Fiction Drama

I remember Sinbad. I am giving you an episode about him. I am Popeye the sailor man. I was on my ship along with my friend Wimpy and girlfriend Olive Oyl sailing near the Sarandib coast. It was bright and shiny and the weather caused no problem to sailing. Oyl suddenly shouted pointing “There’s a man overboard. There, there you can see.”

I noticed someone struggling in the water and at once jumped into the sea. I swam towards the man who was holding on to a spar and helped him to climb into my ship. I changed my dress and helped the rescued man to dry himself.

Oyl said to me “Popeye, he looks a bad character with his beard and peculiar dress.”

Wimpy said “Why do we carry him on the boat? He has been rescued. Now we can dump him ashore.”

I said “We’ll do it after I question him.”

Oyl asked “Can you understand what he says?”

I said “You know I know many languages. I’ll grill him.”

I turned to the stranger who said something in an undertone. I said “You wished me peace and I reciprocate it. I can understand your language. Why were you in the water?”

“I’m Sinbad the sailor. I’m not a naval person but am called a sailor due to the many voyages I’ve undertaken. I had once offended a roc. You know it’s a very big bird capable of lifting an elephant. Its keen eye caught sight of me by chance on the ship I was sailing in. It brought a huge rock and dropped it on the ship. The ship was destroyed but I managed to escape and was struggling in the water when you rescued me. You haven’t told me about yourself.”

“I’m a naval veteran and am known as Popeye the sailor man.”

Sinbad narrated his story. He had been sent as a goodwill visitor by caliph Haroun al Rashid to the court of the king of Sarandib. He added “I wanted to see the pearl fisheries on the coast which are renowned and boarded a ship. But then misfortune struck.”

Wimpy who was watching the two conversing said “I don’t know what the fellow is saying. Let’s drop him on the shore somewhere.”

Oyl said “I agree with Wimpy.”

I said “First let me tell you what this man has told me.” I gave the details.

Wimpy said “How do we know the fellow is speaking the truth? Let us get rid of him.”

I said “I’ve a desire to see the pearl fisheries myself. Let me talk to him.”

Sinbad said “It’s in a place called Puzhal. But I don’t know the route to that place. Perhaps if we stopped at a port we could find our way.”

We reached the nearest port we saw and got details of Puzhal. We set our course for that port and proceeded. After we had reached, all four of us found an inn to camp in. Wimpy wasn’t satisfied with the menu offered and kept complaining. However Oyl adapted herself to whatever food was served. The next day we found our way to the pearl fisheries.

The Manager of the fisheries was a very pleasant man but there was a language barrier between us. But luckily I found a tongue which both of us understood. I convinced the man about the importance of Sinbad’s visit. Manager then agreed to allow us to visit the facility. The place was a hive of activity. Manager showed samples of the pearls produced and explained about the operation. I in turn told the rest of us.

We saw a man lying on the sand. Manager said “That man is a diver who has been to great depths and is recuperating. There’re others who are in the water. Being under water for long is very tricky. Divers have to go and check the trays where oysters are kept. They have to open and check if the pearls or pearls have been formed.’

I said “Will you allow me to go to the depths and see the operations?”

“It’s risky. But i won’t prevent you if you insist.”

I at once prepared for entering the depths. Just before diving I took a massive dose of spinach to help me stay a long time under the water. I went under at a point I chose. Visibility was low inside the water but I looked around near the oyster holds. That is when I saw a man in a red dress looking into the holds. As I neared him, he tried to attack me with a knife. But with the strength given to me by spinach I held him down and pushed him to great depths. The man soon floated away. I studied the operation and then surfaced when I found Manager standing near the body of the man in red dress who had tried to attack me. I told him about what had happened. Manager said “This is the body of an illegal diver who steals our pearls. We’ve been wanting to catch him but he has been elusive. There’s a reward on his head which will now go to you.” He said “I’ll be back in a minute.”

He went into his office and was soon back. He said “Besides the reward money I give you these earrings set with our pearls. This is meant for the lady with you.”

I gave the gift to Oyl who said “These are very nice.” She quickly screwed them on. Popeye thanked the manager for the present.

Wimpy grumbled. “There is nothing for me except to watch the happenings.”

I spoke to Manager and on his orders a large fried dish was brought in a few minutes for us all. Oyl tasted it and said “Tastes good.”

I endorsed the sentiment. Wimpy quietly ate up the dish without any comment. It was to say he was happy with the preparation.

Sinbad now shopped for pearls. The Manager brought out a variety of them and Sinbad happily accepted. He said “The money will be paid to you once I reach the king’s court.”

Sinbad told me “These will fetch a good price in my native Baghdad. I’m glad I came on this voyage.”

We sailed back and dropped Sinbad, when he presented me with some pearls for having saved him from drowning in the sea.

I have some more memories which I propose to share in due course.

END

NOTE: Popeye is a comic creation and is eternal and so is Sinbad of the BOOK OF A THOUSAND NIGHTS AND A NIGHT. They could meet!

*

April 05, 2022 02:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.