1 comment

General

  I was standing in the line, in the grocery store, and impatiently, waiting to pay for my groceries. My mother was in the car, waiting for me.  I could not wait to go home, and, get back to my computer games. In front of me, there was an old gentleman that was counting his change, to pay for his small groceries. He was taking his time, as if he had all the time in the world, and did not care for the rest of us who were in a big hurry. Then he realized that he did not have enough change. He took a strange thing out of his pocket, which to me was like a small booklet, opened it, and took a ten-dollar bill, out of a stack of money, inside. He gave the money to the cashier, and then when he saw my puzzled stares on his strange booklet, with a smile at me, he showed it to me clearly and told me that was a Bill Folder. Afterward, he turned toward me, and showed me the function of it and told me that he had that bill folder since the end of the Korean war. I thanked him for his information. At last, I got my turn, paid for my stuff, and left the store, but the images of the billboarded stayed in my mind in the entire evening.

               A week later, when we were visiting my grandparent’s house, the knock on the door, startled us. But my grandmother told us that she had invited an old friend of my grandfather, for Sunday dinner. To my surprise, the guest was no one, but the old gentleman whom I had seen him in the grocery store in the previous week.  

               My grandpa was really happy to see his old friend. They talked and chatted about the good old days when they both were fighting for their country.

               I was fascinated with their talking and laughing. The old gentlemen, whose name was Gregory, and grandpa, knew lots of people, who apparently were not around, anymore. After dinner was served, my grandma served them tea, and Sponge cream fruit cake. Grandma had gone to length to create a friendly atmosphere and to remind of Mr. Gregory and grandpa’s old friendship. Not to mention that this was a favorite sweet of her own, too.

               I, still, was thinking of Mr. Gregory’s billfold. I wanted to see it again and see how it was working. It was nothing like my parents

 Valets, nor like my own zipper zap of my own. At last; I could not hold back, and I asked Mr. Gregory to show me his billfold, one more time. Mr. Gregory was very nice, and after a lengthy laugh, he pulled it out of his pocket and showed it to me. Along with its function, he also pulled out a ten-dollar old bill.

               “Do you know how much is this bill?” Mr. Gregory asked me.

               “Yes; of course I know! It is an old ten-dollar bill!” I said sarcastically.

               “Can you tell me what can we buy with this bill? Mr. Gregory asked.

               I thought for a few minutes. If I had a ten-dollar bill, I could buy a box of ice cream with a butterscotch dressing for it. I also could buy a loaf of bread, and maybe a half-gallon of chocolate milk. I voiced my thoughts.

               Mr. Gregory sighted. He put his money inside the billfold and put the whole thing in his pocket. After a few seconds, he started to talk to me, and me, only.

               “When I was nine years old, my father had lost his job. Every day, we had to go to the fields to find edible foods for our family. I and my brother and sisters were digging the ground with our diggers, to find roots that could be consumed. My father used to use his shotgun to hunt animals, such as rabbits’, and squirrels. Sometimes my grandfather would go with him, but he always ended up by the rivers and caught fish. It was hard for my father to find a real job since there were none. He always would say if I had some money in my pocket, I would start my own business, but off course he didn’t have any money extra to do anything for any business. We knew that if by Christmas, he hadn’t had a job, we would lose our house, too. It was a very scary time. Because of the depression, lots of men had lost their jobs.  At our age, my brother and I, every early morning, delivered the newspapers to the houses. some of our customers would give us small tips, which would go toward the rent for our small apartment. Later on, I found a job in an apothecary, as a soda jerk. While with my job at the apothecary, I was considered the richest kid at school, I was earning eight dollars per month, and that plus my tips from the paper job paid for our rent. A few times, when I received a tip from our customers, I contributed to the groceries. I, steel, had to study, and make sure that my grades were as best as it could be.

               A few days before Christmas, my father went to the field, to hunt a turkey or any bird which could be of food for us. The entire time when he was gone, my mother prayed for his safe and successful return. After a few days, my father came back and brought us a wild turkey which he had shot, so that we could have a nice dinner for Christmas day. My mother’s parents were visiting us, and also, my uncle would join us for dinner. We were too excited. My brother and I had enough salary roots, turnips, and potato gathered from our field diggings. And off course my mother was the best cook, possible, to be able to create the best food for the occasion. We had a very jolly time, until my grandparents, and my uncle left. But not before that my uncle gave each one of us, a ten-dollar gift. 

               I gave my ten-dollar bill to my father. I never forget his face, as long as I live. He had tears in his eyes. He put the money in his billfold, the one I am using it now, and he didn’t say anything to me. But the next day he left the house. Before he left the house, he asked my brother and I to take care of or mother and sister as best as we could. He kissed us, and said good-bye, and left.

               My father didn’t come home for almost a year. When he came home, he was driving a car of his own, and he had some nice suits and dresses for me, my brother, my sister, and my mother. 

               On Christmas day, he handed me his billfold, with this ten-dollar bill in it. then he told me that with the money I had given to him, he had gone to town, had bought a push cart, and create a small food business for himself. Apparently, there were too many people who appreciated his pancakes and syrup in the mornings, and hot dogs in midday. At the present time, he had hired an old friend of his to watch over his business, while he had come home to take us with him to the town, to be near him. My father told me that without that ten dollar, which I had given him, on previous Christmas day, his dream never would be shaped.” Mr. Gregory stopped. He had some tears in his eyes. Then he continued:

               “You see; that ten-dollar bill gave us a life and hope which we dreamed about it. from that day on; I have saved my money, and if I can give the hope to someone else, I still have the money to do so. Now my dear girl, can you tell me what you will do with your ten-dollar gift if I give it to you?” Mr. Gregory asked me with twinkling eyes.

               After hearing his story, I, defiantly, would not buy ice cream or chocolate mild. I guess there were more important thinks in the world, or even in my world, which would enable me to live without them. 

               Mr. Gregory gave myself and my sisters each ten-dollar biil. I decided to save my money for emergencies. Now that we live in a different era, my parents don’t need my money, but who knows what will happen in the future. But the money is not all I care about right now. I have decided to put my efforts to play less in the computer, and learn more.  I am going to save every penny in can save, so someday I can have a story to tell my grandchildren.

April 07, 2020 23:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Leila B.
19:57 Apr 13, 2020

Please comment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.