The hottest day of the year

Submitted into Contest #262 in response to: Set your story during the hottest day of the year.... view prompt

2 comments

Funny Fiction

On the first day of my summer holiday, I woke up sweating and said to myself, this must be the hottest day in history. Concerned and soaked, I went into the bathroom and threw powder all over my body. I thought my vacation in India would be relaxing; I had imagined doing my holiday homework and eating delicious food.

Confused and worried, I ran and turned on the TV to hear the announcer echo my thought: “Good morning and welcome to today’s weather broadcast. This morning, we have recorded temperatures exceeding 50 degrees Celsius. Today is likely to be the hottest day on earth.”

I decided to venture onto my porch and saw that all the coconut trees and foliage had wilted and were drooping over the houses and the nearby roads. Horrified, I stepped onto the concrete veranda, scorching my feet. "YOOOWW," I yelped like a passenger on a KSRTC bus, and leapt back against the wall. Squash! With a sudden realisation I looked at my clothes which were now covered with an array of different paint colours, given that we had just painted the house.

"Crikey, mate, alright now," I exclaimed, shuffling my feet through the house and tracking hues of white and red coloured paint like a dog who had jumped into a muddy puddle.

Running to the bathroom to wash my clothes, I turned on the tap and realised that there was no water as the well had dried up. Fuming now, I leaped through the house like a kangaroo and desperately looked for my sandals but could not find them. Not to mention there were about 1 billion- billion-septillion mosquitoes who had the audacity to try to come and harvest blood from me.

As I returned to the front porch, I saw a heaping pile of rubber that was slithering around the porch, melted by the heat. Out of the corner of my eye there was a quick movement; it was a child running down the road beyond my house, crying and being chased by his mother. At that instant I thought that he was throwing a fit but looking at the mother I saw an eerie face resembling that of a clown. I realised at second glance that the make-up on the mother’s face had melted due to the severe heat, which terrified her child.

Desperate to escape the heat, I ran across the road and onto the dirt path that led to the river, hoping for a good plunge to refresh myself. However as I ran forward, I thought longingly of the classroom at school with its ceiling fans.

 The heat started getting the better of me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw smoke-like figures changing shape but every time I glanced in that direction there was nothing to see, only a couple of piles of mud. After what seemed like ages I reached the river steps. I happened to see an elderly fisherman.

"Very hot!" I panted.

" सर, मैं आपको यह बताने की कोशिश कर रहा हूं कि यह नदी सूख गई है और मछलियां अब तैर नहीं रही हैं." said the fisher with a gloomy face.  He added, " Sir, I am trying to tell you that this river is dried up and fish is no swimming anymore."

I looked at him raised an eyebrow and nodded. Sweat drooling down my body, I continued along the road and snooped out a modern cafe with solar panels on the roof. I ran across the concrete road, pain searing through my feet, and opened the café door, hoping for some fan or AC as by now I was starting to get nauseous. Flinging open the door, I was greeted with a fan, but to my dismay I was instantly kicked out of the property by the owner who muttered, “Smell.” Looking around me in all directions, searching for a spot to cool off, mirages and wilted plants were all I could see. Then suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder: "Sir, where are you from, UK?" the stranger asked.

I blurted out, "Australia" and he gestured toward his vehicle and drove me home in his weird three-wheeled contraption that I later learned is called an “auto rickshaw.”

When I got home, I rang up my father. In the middle of the conversation, momentarily distracted, I stepped on the rubber glue on my porch, making a sound like a snail being squinched under my feet. I had to look down to see what was going on. When I looked down, burning rubber shot up into my nose and eye. I yelled and snorted, somehow insulting my father with some language that I didn't even know; he hung up.

At that point, suffering beyond my limit, the noise I made sounded like a drowning kangaroo. Simultaneously I fell over and kicked the family dog. The combination of both of our sounds--my screaming and snorting, and the dog’s howling--attracted a vulture, which dived out of the sky, searching for its mate.

I tried running around to the back of my compound, but inadvertently tripped a passing crockery seller. Escaping down the road, I fell into a roadside restaurant, knocking over the head cook and spilling rice and curries all over us. Through the madness I managed to slip away and resume my running but was immediately greeted by an angry pack of dogs snarling at me. I sprinted the other way; for a second I looked back to see the dogs and fell headfirst into a pit in the road. Half buried in a food pit I couldn't help but gag.

Suddenly around the corner a pan came flying, hitting one of the dogs. The dogs fled in fear as two men came galloping by, followed by policemen.

"I will not be taken hostage!!" I wailed as I jumped over a wall. As I looked back at my pursuers, my heart came out of my mouth and back in a couple times.

"ARaaaghhh" echoed my voice as I fell down a well that was on the other side of the wall. The police came and looked at me and said some gibberish that sounded like Martian language. As I hit the bottom-splash! -that was the happiest moment of my life. I had finally found water.

As the sun fell to a well-deserved sleep, I was rescued from the well and brought new dry clothes. The electricity was on, and the AC pumping. I made my way to the bed and lay down, turned on my laptop and searched for holiday tickets to Antarctica. “60% off!? Oh this is really cool!”

August 09, 2024 14:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Luca King Greek
14:19 Aug 16, 2024

A concatenation of challenges, met with a mix of acceptance and defiance. Quite funny, with some good metaphors (some unneeded). I think it needed some kind of antagonist/set-backs or plot twists. I felt at one point that the stakes might be very high (life and death), which would have made the reader more invested in the story. I liked each specific predicament, and the ending was neat.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Glenna Agnew
19:13 Aug 15, 2024

I liked the way you included another language in your story, it was very inventive. I feel that fewer "little disasters" would make the story more believable. You have used the word "run" or "running" frequently, as it is the hottest day and most people would NOT be running, maybe you can find an alternative ie) trudge. The last paragraph was very creative, I liked the way we went from the hottest day with plans for a holiday to the coldest place on earth. Keep writing.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.