2 comments

Fantasy Drama Friendship

"Elle, two Cioppino on table number 4 please."

"Right away" I said and taking the tray of two Cioppino I went to table number 4.

"Your two Cioppino, enjoy you meal" I said with a smile at the old couple and placed Cioppino in front of them before leaving to the kitchen again.

"It was the last order of tonight" Denise said while taking off her apron.

Denise and I have been working in this diner from past one year. She is my best friend, room mate, colleague and an amazing person.

"Fortunately" I said taking my bag from the table.

"Good night, Mr. Jones." We both said and he copied us. Mr. Jones is manager of the diner, who have been more like a father to us.

Being a psychology student and doing a part time job as an waitress isnt very easy in California. It tires me a lot.

But then I have always been surrounded with supportive and amazing people around me who makes me smile even in the toughest times.

We bought two pizzas while going to our apartment for our dinner.

We were sitting on the sofa, eating our dinner while watching Game of Thrones on Netflix.

"Elle" Denise said to which I humed.

"Today my mom called me and invited us to our beach house for holidays. We are leaving tomorrow evening." She said and I humed again.

When her words hit me, I looked at her with surprised expressions.

"What?! We?" I asked and she nodded

"As an you and me?" I asked again to confirm. She looked at me with expressionless face and said,

"Yes darling, as an you and me. As an Elle and Denise."

Their was a silence for 2 minutes, a bright smile emerged on my face and then,

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Omg Denise, I love you, i love you. I have been dreaming to go to your beach house."

"Okay Elle, I know you are excited but don't scream. God, you really have a speaker in your throat. I am done, going off to bed. Night." She said

"Good night, we will talk about it in detail tomorrow Deni" I said and I herd her soft laugh before her door closed.

I stuffed my face with the last slice of my pizza before switching off the TV.

As I was about to sleep, my phone started vibrating. Sleepily I took my phone from the side table and saw Mom calling. With a small smile, I answered the call.

"Hey mom"

"Hello sweetie, were you sleeping?"

"Yeah, about to sleep."

"Sorry sweetie, I was about to call you early but I got caught in the work"

My mom and dad are lawyers and always busy in their work. But they always take time for me, which is the thing I adore about them a lot.

"No problem mom, how was your day?"

"It was good, how was yours?"

"Hm, as always. Well, today Denise mom invited us to their beach house."

"Oh that's good, you need a little break from everything."

"Yeah, we will leave tomorrow evening."

"Okay, but remember do not I repeat Elle do not go into the water."

"Mom, not again" I said groaning

"No Elle, I know you do not believe in those things. But baby do it for your mom, please."

"Mom, seriously just because some women foretold my future from birth that I am gonna die because of water you even haven't let me learn how to swim." I said with disappointment in my tone.

"Elle, I know you don't believe in this. But I am your mom, you are our only child Elle. We don't want to lose you baby, we have to do whatever we can, to take care of you and keep you safe." She said and I could hear her cracking voice at the end.

I closed my eyes taking some deep breaths before saying,

"Alright mom, I will not go into the water. Don't cry now, I will be safe, don'tworry. We will take tomorrow. Love you and give my love to dad. Bye." I said, sniffing she replied "Okay, love you too sweetie, bye."


Sunlight beaming on my face and I stared rolling on my bed, slowly opening my eyelids i got up from my bed.

I could hear one directions 'What makes you beautiful' in low voice which started booming my ears after I opened my door and went to kitchen.

"Morning beautiful, here's your breakfast." Denise said keeping my plate of omelet on the table.

"Morning, as always smells delicious." I said taking my seat.

"Let's pack our bags and fly off to Florida baby." She said and we laughed at our excitement.


The flight was amazing for me as I slept the whole flight. That's something I love to do on flights.

I was awestruck when we reached Denise's beach house. It is so beautiful, with whole wooden from outside but modern from inside.

Denise's father died 6 years ago, her mother runs a restaurant in the city. Stacey, Denise's sister who is in high school.

After having dinner with everyone, I went to my room texting good night to my parents i let myself in the darkness.


Laughter, giggles and the voice of waves crashing the shore woke me up. As soon as I opened my eyes, I closed them because of the bright sun outside. Getting up my bed I saw out of the window.

Beautiful view in front of me bright sky and blue ocean was looking spectacular, Denise and Stacey were playing on the beach.

After freshening up I went downstairs, Mrs. Brown was talking on the phone which she disconnected after she saw me.

"Good morning Elle, Slept well?"

"Morning, Mrs. Brown. Yes, I slept amazing. Thank you"

"No worries, I am going to go to restaurant and drop Stacey to her school on the way. You and Denise have fun."

"Yes, thank you Mrs. Brown. For letting me stay and taking care of me."

"Awe darling, don't say thank you for that. You are like my daughter, you are always welcome here." She said and hugged me before leaving with Stacey.

"Elle, let's go get tanned." Denise said and I laughed at her excitement before agreeing with her.

Changing our clothes into bikini we went to the shore. Spreading our mats and applying some sunscreen we laid on the beach.

Denise had her eyes closed while I was starring at the ocean in front of me. It was like, the ocean was calling me. I have always thought of swimming and playing in the water. But everytime I think of going in the sea, i hear my moms words. And my foretold future about I having threats about the water.


"What are thinking so intensely?" Denise asked, I turned my head to look at her and she was already looking at me.

"Same thing, about my foretold future." I said

"I have told you many times girl. I really don’t believe in that shit and I know you too don't believe. But you are doing this for you mom and dad. Okay, remember it." She said to which I nodded my head and we hugged each other.

After getting a little tan, we both had out lunch and were now sitting in the living room.

"Babe, you remember Ian?"

"Yeah, I do. Your childhood crush."

" Right, so he got to know that I am home and he just texted me to meet him."

"Really, that's amazing. What did you reply?"

"I off course said yes."

"Amazing, so when are you guys meeting?"

"Right now, thats why I have changed my clothes. I will be back in 2 hours okay. Byee"

"Good byee. Have fun" and she left.

I went to my room and was scrolling through my insta account. Light flashed through my phone and I saw my mom calling me.

Without wasting a second I answered the call

"Hey mom"

"Hey baby, what are you doing"

"Nothing, sitting in my room. Enjoying the view."

"Right, it must be beautiful there"

"Yeah, its great here."

"Okay darling, enjoy yourself. I just called to check on you."

"Alright mom, byee"

"Bye sweetie"

I am really fed up of this thing. I don't know what came in my mind, but I automatically went down to the sea shore. I slowly took steps near the water, enjoying the moment that I was experiencing for the first time. When I was half into the water, I laughed hard at the thing that I was in the water. It felt amazing.

Suddenly I wave crashed me and I lost my balance. I don't know what happened so suddenly but now I was in the ocean without anyone else around me. I kept struggling and when my face came above the water I took a long open mouth breath.

But then I was again swallowed by the water, when I lost all my hopes I stopped struggling.


I was drowning and so many thoughts ran through my mind. I was out of my breath, am I really dieing? Maybe, yes.

My foretold future became my present and will soon become my past after my death.

The last thing I knew I was,

Deep in the blue...

October 07, 2020 07:53

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

02:54 Oct 16, 2020

Nice

Reply

08:39 Oct 19, 2020

Thanks

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.