10 comments

Kids

“Danny !… Danny! ….. It’s getting late. Can you please hurry up and clean the old cupboard inside the store room?” Yelled Mrs Smith.

Smith’s family has just moved into a new house in Campbell Street. They are very busy cleaning up their new house. The previous owner, left quite a lot of things before moving out. Some of the things looks new but some are very old and need to be thrown away. Smith’s family is quite happy, since they don’t have to spend much, in buying new things for their new house. They are happy, because they could save a lot.


“Mom…. I will do it in a short while. Don’t worry”, replied Danny. Danny was busy arranging things in his new room. His room was decorated with all his favourite posters of actors and singers. Danny is quite excited to be able to move into their new house. He is excited that he could make new friends around his new housing area.


“She is so cute”, said Danny’s mind voice.

“I wish, I could meet her later”, his mind voice continued.


Danny is 15 years old. A very obedient son and also a very good student. He is a very shy person, when it comes to talking with girls of his age. Somehow, he feels attracted to Jenny, his neighbour. Jenny and her parents, were going out when Danny was moving into his new house.


“God, please help me. I want to be her friend. I hope, she will be back soon”, his mind voice continued, while whistling…., his favourite tune.  


There was a smile, on his face, while whistling. His dimple…, on the right cheek, made him looked so cute…, that any girls will get attracted to him.


(Smith’s family were too busy cleaning up until it was time for dinner)


“Yummy, yum….so tasty…. I like this burger mom”, said Danny.

“I’m glad, you like it, my dear”, said Danny’s mom.

“Mom… I will… clean the cupboard…. after dinner….. Don’t worry…”, while chewing the burger in his mouth.

“Sure”, said his mom.

“So Danny. Do you like this new house?”, asked Danny’s dad.

“Yes daddy”, replied Danny. “The house is very spacious and I think I will like this neighbourhood” smiling and thinking, about the cutest girl he has ever met.

 

(after dinner Smith’s family continued with their clean up job since they are almost done)

 

Danny went to the store room, to clean the cupboard, when suddenly he heard the doorbell.


He ran to the door to see whom it was. He saw his mom and dad were talking to someone by holding a basket of fruits.


“Probably it’s a welcome gift”, thought Danny.

He went beside his parents and….

“Danny, this our neighbour, Mr and Mrs Terry”, his dad introduced.

Mr and Mr Terry shook their hand with Danny.

“Danny, this is Jenny, their only daughter”, continued his mom.

Danny felt like jumping up and down, when he saw Jenny in front of his house.


He felt so happy to see her. He felt as if 1000 watts of energy, running through him while shaking his hand, with Jenny.


“Hello Danny”, Jenny said.

“This is probably the sweetest voice, I have ever heard”, thought Danny.

“May I help you with your clean up”, she offered.


Danny was speechless for almost few seconds. He has no idea, what to answer. Being a shy person, he was a little worried to say okay. At the same times he would like to say okay. He was a little confused and worried and shy on how to answer Jenny’s question.


There was a low voice saying, “Sure”.


Danny’s eyes were shining as bright as the sun.

Jenny, just like Danny, she is an obedient girl too. She is 14 years old and looks so cute with her long hair. She has a very fair skin that will not need any blusher to make her blush. A pinch on her cheek will make her blush, that is how fair, she is. Unlike Danny, she is not a very shy person, and she likes to make new friends, be it girls or boys.


After a short introduction among the family members, Terry’s family helped Smith’s Family to clean up too.

Danny took Jenny to the store room, to show her the old cupboard, that need to be cleaned up. Even though Danny was a little shy to talk to Jenny, but the case was not the same for Jenny. She managed to break the ice, by constantly talking and asking questions. Danny managed to come out of his shell called “shy” and begins to chat with her as same as his other friends.

 

Both of them started to clean up the cupboard. Suddenly!

“Look, at this!”, said Jenny.

“What is it?”, Danny asked.

“I’m not sure. It looks like a compass, but at the same time, it looks like a watch and it’s very old”, said Jenny in a very curious tone, while turning what she has found, almost 360 degrees to take a thorough look.


She passed it to Danny, and he did the same thing as what Jenny did. Turned it 360 degrees, to take a closer look.


“What do you think this is?”, she asked.

“I’m not sure too! But I could see some buttons at the side.


Probably, I should press it, to see”, replied Danny.

Danny tried to press the button.

Kriuk! Kriuk! Kriuk! The sound came from the object. He was unable to push the button.


“I think, we need to put some oil. It’s very old, and probably it is rusted”, said Jenny and passed him the oil bottle, that was placed, just besides, from where she found the object.

Danny put few drops of the oil on the button and tried to press it.


Toing! Toing! Some sort of spring came out, and the object were split into 2. But still attached together via the spring.


“I don’t think this is a compass or a watch. It looks really weird”, said Jenny.

While trying to explore the object further…

“Danny, are you done?”, asked Danny’s mom. She was standing at the door looking at Danny and Jenny. She was happy that the cupboard looks emptier and arranged nicely with all the needed things.

“Yes, mom”, replied Danny. A little shocked to see his mom at the door. He tried to hide the object in order to avoid his mom from throwing it away.

Jenny and Danny walked together, to the door, where his mom was standing.

While walking, Jenny whispered to Danny. “Keep it! Don’t throw away. We will check on this object tomorrow”.

Danny nodded.

Smith’s and Terry’s bid goodbye and Jenny left too.

She was still thinking about the object while walking with her parents and she can’t wait to see what it really was.

She was hoping, tomorrow will come as soon, so that she could see the object again.

Danny on the other hand, wished good night to his parents, and went to his bed.

He was so happy that he could spend his time with Jenny and felt so excited to meet her tomorrow. At the same times, he was very curious about the object that he found, and hope to know more about it.

He decided to press the button, that was beside the spring, on the left side of the object.

Kaaabooooom! Phishhhhhhh! Some sort of sound came out, with lots of smoke.

 

(The next day)

“Danny, wake up, its already 9am. Come let’s have breakfast”, called his mom.

No matter, how many times he was called, he didn’t turn up. Mrs Smith decided to check out in his room.


Knock! Knock! “Danny I’m coming in”, she said.

She could not find Danny on the bed but she was shocked to see a 90 years old man on the bed.


“Who are you? Where is Danny”, she shouted. “Honey, come here! Come and check out Danny’s room” she screamed worriedly while waiting for Mr Smith to come over.


There was no reply from the old man, but only tears flowing from his eyes. His hands were holding some weird object, same as what Danny and Jenny found in the cupboard.


Is the old man, Danny? What really happened to Danny? What did the object do to him?


Stay tune for the next episode.


To be continued……

May 29, 2020 08:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Alkaa Sharma
11:32 Jun 05, 2020

Nice

Reply

Arvi Krish
00:34 Jun 08, 2020

Hi! Thank you

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Barry Litherland
07:54 Jun 04, 2020

Nicely done and an intriguing and unexpected ending.

Reply

Arvi Krish
00:34 Jun 08, 2020

Hi! Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Vrishni Maharaj
11:03 Jun 02, 2020

Very cool story!

Reply

Arvi Krish
00:33 Jun 08, 2020

Hi! Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Carille Durbin
18:44 May 29, 2020

I am filled with anticipation for the next episode. I thought there was a nice build-up before Danny and Jenny found the object and I was surprised at the outcome. Often, I use Grammarly after the story is finished. I use the free version , but more deluxe versions are available.

Reply

Arvi Krish
01:54 Jun 02, 2020

Hello. Thank you. Trying to improve myself. Please continue to give feedback. Is the grammarly free version available for download or is it online version? Please advise.

Reply

Carille Durbin
06:17 Jun 02, 2020

Grammarly is a download.

Reply

Arvi Krish
07:45 Jun 02, 2020

Hi. Thank you. Will check it out.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.