1 comment

Science Fiction

OUTGOING TRANSMISSION LOG


File: 001

Filed by: User 1 [David Wendell]

Method: Audio message [transcription]

Time recorded: 1800 hours, January 20, 2103

Origin: Schrodinger Base, Icarus Station, Office #344

Target: 40.411044° N, -79.796876° W


Message start.


Uh...hello? Oh, there it is. Damn thing took long enough to start working…  Hi. My name is David Wendell, I am a habitant on the Icarus station located at the Schrodinger Base on the Moon. I’m a former NASA space engineer, alongside my wife, Mary Wendell, who is also here with me. Well, not here, right now, but on the station with me. She’s a bit sick at the moment, so she’s resting. We don’t think it’s serious, but I’m not sure…


Jesus, what am I even talking about. I’m not sure if this is even going to reach anyone, but I’m sending this message because we received a transmission roughly 5 hours ago. From Earth. The message was static-y and hard to decode but we found the coordinates from which it came, the coordinates we’re sending this message to now. I’m reading…40.411044 degrees north, -79.796876 degrees west. Just east of Pittsburgh… God, I can’t even imagine what it looks like now.


I’m sorry, I can’t keep...I don’t know how to say this...I just...


Who are you? How did you contact us? Did you know we were up here? How did you know we were up here?


We thought everyone was wiped out. It’s been 15 years since we departed Earth, on April 15, 2088, which was three days after North Korea launched variola, and six weeks before...Washington. Billions of people instantly dead, and billions of others injured, sick, hungry. Me and Mary had been working on our own ship for the decade prior, as a precaution. We escaped by the skin of our teeth.


I don’t know how this is happening. All transmissions were lost 10 years ago. Nothing. Every person we’d ever known, or would ever know...gone. And now...your voice. Or at least what I think is a voice. 


What is it like down there? Are there more of you? Can you...send more transmissions? Please? You’re not alone. Please.


Message concluded. Transmission successful.


File: 002

Filed by: User 1 [David Wendell]

Method: Audio message [transcription]

Date recorded: 1923 hours, January 22, 2103

Origin: Schrodinger Base, Icarus Station, Office #344

Target: 40.411044° N, -79.796876° W


Message start.


Hello again. This is David Wendell, transmitting from the Icarus station located at the Schrodinger Base on the Moon. I’m sending this message to the coordinates from which we received a transmission, just over...2 days ago. We have not received a message back yet. I’m sending another one because...I don’t know, maybe the first one didn’t make it. 


Mary said it’s pointless. She doesn’t think it’s real. Or just...not worth our attention. Most of our days are spent maintaining the station, making sure everything’s working, making sure we have enough food and water to stay afloat up here. After all, we’ve had some blips in the past. Y’know, excess transmissions or something...but I heard you. I was sitting right here, in the front cabin. And I heard your voice. She didn’t hear that. I wish I’d recorded it, but it all happened so fast. I don’t know how to tell her what it sounded like. Besides, I don’t wanna bother her with it. She hasn’t been feeling well. We think it’s probably an infection. But we managed to find some medicine from past crews, so that’s been working. At least a little bit. There’s not much of it left, so I’m really hoping it does.


I’d really like to talk with you. If you...you know, exist at all. Well, not if. You do. I know that, because I heard you. And I know what I heard.


I want to know what Earth is like. I have some questions--here, I’ve actually got a list. Hang on, let me get it… Okay, uh...One. Are there still humans? What kind of life still exists? Two. How were resources affected by the radiation? And the wildlife? The oceans? Three. How do you live? What is the quality of life? Four…


Y’know what, this is ridiculous. Who the fuck am I even talking to? Why am I even bothering? If you sent something before, you’d send it again. Mary’s right. 


Message terminated. Transmission unsuccessful.


File: 003

Filed by: User 1 [David Wendell]

Method: Audio message [transcription]

Date recorded: 0600 hours, January 27, 2103

Origin: Schrodinger Base, Icarus Station, Office #344

Target: 40.411044° N, -79.796876° W


Message start.


Uh...hello. This is David Wendell again, transmitting from the Schrodinger Base--uh, rather, the Icarus station located at the Schrodinger Base. On the Moon. This is an attempt to make contact with an unknown source… that reached us approximately… one week ago. If you are out there, we ask that you attempt to make contact again. 


I’m not sure if the transmission we received is...sound, but the reason we are attempting contact is a matter of survival. A recent moonquake caused a pressure valve to burst in our gardens, leading to an atmospheric imbalance and a weakened crop output. The losses are hard to pinpoint at this time but we could possibly lose two weeks of food, maybe even more. We still have rations, thank God, but without proper nutrition, our daily off-base missions to obtain ice will become exponentially harder on our bodies. 


If there is life on Earth, we need to know, now. We have the means to arrive back on Earth in a matter of days, but we can’t go without knowing. Please… we have to know. Send us a sign. Anything.


Message concluded. Transmission successful.


File: 004

Filed by: User 1 [David Wendell]

Method: Audio message [transcription]

Date recorded: 1340 hours, February 6, 2103

Origin: Schrodinger Base, Icarus Station, Office #344

Target: 40.411044° N, -79.796876° W


Message start.


Hello. My name is David Wendell, I am transmitting from the Icarus station located at the Schrodinger Moon Base. Our status has been aggravated over the past 10 days. Our crop output was affected much more harshly than anticipated. We attempted to recalibrate the atmosphere in our gardens but the pressure leak is still ongoing from an unknown source. We’ve been able to save some produce, but so much is lost, and is continuing to be lost. At this point, we don’t know how much net produce we’ll be able to save going forward. 


We, uh… well, my wife is also sick from an infection and… it’s looking worse. This is a cry for help. We need your help. Please. We know you’re out there. I know you are.


Message concluded. Transmission successful.


File: 005

Filed by: User 1 [David Wendell]

Method: Audio message [transcription]

Date recorded: 2100 hours, February 14, 2103

Origin: Schrodinger Base, Icarus Station, Office #344

Target: 40.411044° N, -79.796876° W


Message start.


Why, hello there… [laughs] Oh my god, I sound like James Bond… [laughs]


Well, as you may guess, I’m a tad tipsy. There was some leftover Scotch that we’d been saving--oh! Right, I meant to say, Mary got better! It was incredible. I told her, I did, I told her, I said she’s a strong woman. She’s got that strong immune system. And her heart...it’s always been strong. I think her heart saved her. She’s resting now though, so...so, we gotta be a little quiet. ‘Kay? She don’t know it, but I’m drinking for her. To celebrate being with her. It is Valentine’s Day after all. [laughs]


When she recovered, we went back to work on the, uh...the crops thing! Or, not went back to work, but...got more done. Yeah. We haven’t found the leak thing, but I have hope! I’m a hopeful guy! What we did was enough for now...and enough is good. Nah, enough is great. [laugh]


Ugh, this probably doesn’t make much sense at all to you…just like you don’t make much sense to me! [laughs] I mean, why...why wouldn’t you call me back? [laughs] I don’t mean it like that. I mean like...how come you could do it once, but not again? You absolutely nailed it the first time. There’s no reason for...ugh, whatever. After all, you are on a radiated planet. I should be easier on you. I’m sorry. I’m just a little...drunk. Sorry I forgot to mention that. 


I, um...I went outside today and looked at Earth. And you know, it just reminded me of...of better times, you know? God, you know what I miss? Driving. And I hated driving. I didn’t grow up doing it so… When I grew up, you know what I’d do? I’d take bike rides with my...my older brother. He was in such good shape, better shape than me. I was always ashamed of that. He always used to tease me about it, because I’d stay in, doing math all the time. Doing equations. He’d say, “Put that…” uh, it was something like, “Put that…” Eh, I can’t remember. But we’d bike together. I miss...I actually miss biking. And I miss my brother. I looked out at the Earth today and you know what I thought? I thought, what if you…what if you’re him? [laughs] I know, it’s silly…last I heard he was in Jersey, so I can’t imagine he… 


But, you know...if you were him...I’d say I miss you. I’m sorry that you’re not here with me. Although...what the fuck am I doing here, anyway?


After we got here, me and Mary couldn’t get enough of looking at Earth. It was one of those things in life, like looking at the Grand Canyon or climbing the Alps or...looking into your daughter’s eyes for the first time. It just...it happens to you. You can’t describe it. We were actually happy. I mean, we almost felt like gods. It’s crazy, I know…but when you’re that high up...there’s a shift in you. You know what I mean? Shit...‘course you don’t. But what I’m trying to say is...we believed we earned our survival. Get this, we actually used to say we were “over the moon” back then. We were such cheesy shits. [laughs]


And then that sixth week...after we escaped Earth...we watched Washington DC go. Then New York City. Moscow. London. Pyongyang. Jesus...I mean...to watch the color drain from the Earth’s forests...to see fires from here...to lose sight of Africa through soot. To watch every single person we know in this godforsaken universe… 


How could we be so stupid? No one even stopped to think that...there’s nothing else up here. Nothing like Earth. We threw away the only thing we were ever given. Me and Mary knew that, we did. We wanted to survive so it wasn’t...for nothing, you know? We thought if we survived...maybe we could fix it.


But no. It was just a goddamn nightmare. No one should have to watch their world turn to dust without them. But we did. Everyone was dying and we were the ones who had to watch. Well, we didn’t have to but...we couldn’t just turn away. We were punishing ourselves for living. And the thing is…we thought we were right. But maybe, we’re not where we should be. Even if we did earn it.


I just...want you to be real...so that...maybe we could...fix this...together...


Message concluded after 90 seconds of inactivity. Transmission pending approval.


File: 006

Filed by: User 1 [David Wendell]

Method: Audio message [transcription]

Date recorded: 0600 hours, February 15, 2103

Origin: Schrodinger Base, Icarus Station, Office #344

Target: 40.411044° N, -79.796876° W


Message start.


Yes?! Hello? Yes, I’m here! David Wendell, coming from, uh, the Schrodinger Base on the Moon! Who is this? Please respond!


[distant] Mary! Mary! Wake up! There’s more contact. They asked us if we need help!


Message concluded. Transmission successful.


File: 007

Filed by: User 1 [David Wendell]

Method: Audio message [transcription]

Date recorded: 0610 hours, February 15, 2103

Origin: Schrodinger Base, Icarus Station, Office #344

Target: 40.411044° N, -79.796876° W


Message start.


DW: Hello! This is David Wendell, you reached us, uh...15 minutes ago! We are very happy to hear from you. I have my wife here, Mary Wendell. Mary, say hi.

MARY WENDELL: David… what are you--

DW: No, it’s okay! They said the words, “Do you need help?” I heard them.

MW: Is that Scotch? Were you drinking the Scotch?

DW: Ugh, Jesus… I’m not, it’s not what you--


Message concluded. Transmission successful.


File: 008

Filed by: User 1 [David Wendell]

Method: Audio message [transcription]

Date recorded: 1200 hours, March 3, 2103

Origin: Schrodinger Base, Icarus Station, Office #344

Target: 40.411044° N, -79.796876° W


Message start.


Hello…again, this is David. Wendell. I…am not sure what to say. We thought Mary recovered, but the infection came back somehow and she’s worse than she was before. We’re still losing crops, and the antibiotics are almost all used up. I don’t know how many options we have left… 


I don’t know why I even came back. I convinced myself you weren’t real, that it was just my imagination but...I still hear you. Every now and then, the radio crackles, and I think maybe...maybe...someone’s there. I’m sorry I stopped responding, it’s just…Mary said she didn’t recognize me anymore. Talking to myself, pacing next to the radio, just waiting for you to speak to me. She doesn’t know I’m here right now. She doesn’t need to.


Makes me think why we even did this in the first place. We thought we’d be enough for each other. No one else, just us and the fuckin’ moon. It sounded like heaven. And it was… 


If only I’d seen what we’d become...things would be different. Maybe we would’ve made choices that made us...enough for each other. If only I could’ve seen… 


Could’ve seen…into the future. Wait. Wait a minute. 


Message concluded. Transmission successful.


File: 009

Filed by: User 1 [David Wendell]

Method: Audio message [transcription]

Date recorded: 1300 hours, March 4, 2103

Origin: Schrodinger Base, Icarus Station, Office #344

Target: 40.411044° N, -79.796876° W


Message start.


Okay. Hi, it’s me. David. I think I may have found something. I ran a simulation of the radiation spread on Earth, with a projected time range of 10 years since the last detonation. It was the most the simulation could do without crashing our system, but it was enough. There could be pockets of clean land, possibly towns or small cities untouched by this, and that’s just a 10-year projection. I don’t know if there’s people, I mean variola probably eradicated whoever was left, but…I think we might be okay. Or at least for a little while. Enough time to gather supplies. Medicine, even food. Jesus Christ, this could actually work… 


Message concluded. Transmission successful.


File: 010

Filed by: User 1 [David Wendell]

Method: Audio message [transcription]

Date recorded: 1600 hours, March 10, 2103

Origin: Schrodinger Base, Icarus Station, Office #344

Target: 40.411044° N, -79.796876° W


Message start.


To anyone who may be listening...my name is David Thomas Wendell. I lived on the Icarus Station at Schrodinger Base on the Moon for approximately 15 years, with my wife Mary Francesca Wendell. We are hours away from our return to Earth, with our express mission to gather supplies and medicine for our continued survival on the Moon. We do not believe permanent life is possible on Earth, due to a large percentage of the surface damaged by nuclear winter and radioactive material. Although… 


No. We maintain this belief between the two of us. The ship provided by the base is stable but has suffered damage from a moonquake that hit about a month ago. We’re not sure…how far we might get on this mission. But it’s worth it. I’m not going to sit here, waiting to die. I’m going to fix this. And if you’re there when we get down there...we’ll fix this together.


Message concluded. Transmission successful.


May 01, 2020 01:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rebecca Lee
17:18 May 08, 2020

The format was unique, and the idea was something different, that is for sure. Normally not interested in this type of style, but I actually enjoyed it,

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.