1 comment

Fiction

Wen awoke to the distinct smell of sage burning as she often did. Her sister would be preparing their home for the solstice. An uncommonly warm breeze carried the scent through her open bedroom door. She heard her older sister's rich voice mindfully speaking their cleansing mantra. Minnie was starting earlier this year. The sun was barely peeking above the Cornish tree line. The sun rising was magical.

   Wen intentionally took in the moment, the smells, the sounds, the sights, the feels, the energy. She loved this day, more than any other. Traditions new and old were interwoven on this day with the intent of weaving together past and present. Hopeful, she had work to do herself. Her domain was the outdoors. Her mother had taught her how to prepare the offerings and the altar to pay respect to their ancestors. The Summer Solstice was more than the mark of a season, it was the tradition that gave their family hope and connection. Their family had been performing this ritual for generations. In fact, there was never not a record of Glassons performing this tradition. It was logged every year in some form since the early 1400s. The Glasson family protected and guarded these ancient tomes with pride and love. Many a historian or museum curator had tried to acquire these heirlooms over the centuries without success.

   Not wanting to interrupt the cleansing ritual, she slowly dressed. When she could no longer hear her sister cleansing, Wen made her way to the kitchen for tea. "Merry Solstice Minerva," she gave her sister a kiss on the cheek.

   "You're up early Alowen. Tea is just there." Minnie had likely been awake for hours. "Biscuit?"

   "You have to ask?" Wen sat on the wooden bench and helped herself to a warm biscuit. "It's barely five o'clock and you've already saged, baked and bathed. Anxious about something?" Wen asked coyly.

   "Stop it. You know I am. This will be James' first solstice. So much can go wrong." Minnie bustled around the kitchen. She would be busy most of the day, preparing the Solstice feast.

   "You mean the possibility of Gran hating James, the possibility of James thinking your family is a bunch of Pagans, or the possibility that your little sister's ex might make an awkward appearance?" Wen knew what troubled her sister.

   "All right, stuff your face and get to work." Minnie cracked eggs into a bowl. "You know that I've always liked Lis. She is always welcome here."

   Wen exhaled audibly and drained her cup of tea. She stood and unlocked the doors of an antique birch dresser that had been made by severals times a "Great" Grandfather. The bottom shelf held treasured items for family rituals and the Glassons had many. She knelt on the floor and collected the large, round, handleless, woven basket that had been woven by another ancestor. She lovingly placed the basket on the ground and reached near the back of the cabinet for a large leather-bound book wrapped in a large shawl. She carefully unwrapped the book and breathed in the aged leather, then placed it and the shawl in the basket. She added a chalice and small pewter bowl. She found the clooties thoughtfully folded around a large candle, and placed them in the basket. The colorful ribbons showed signs of wear and devotion.

   As Wen clipped sprigs of dried lavender, she heard her phone chime in her bedroom. Before she could turn it off, Minnie quickly chided her. "No phones on solstice, Alowen!"

   "Sorry! Just shutting it down." Wen ran into her room to read the message.

   Lis: Do you care if I come tonight?

   Wen: Do what you like. No phones today.

   Wen had no time to consider uninvited guests who were at one time, always invited. She turned off her phone and shoved it in her top dresser drawer, for good measure.

   Wen took the basket of treasures outside to the porch and placed them on the altar where their crystals typically charged in the moonlight. No crystals charged last night, the full moon was still a few days away. She then gathered as many fire logs as she could carry and gave her walk to the gathering site thoughtful intentions for the ceremony. Except, Lis. Lis kept popping into her head, pushing aside the ancient ritual of intention. Lis and her annoyingly rebellious ways. Lis and her disregard for tradition. Lis and her caring brown eyes. Lis and her ability to make everyone feel seen and important. Lis and her stupid interpretation of fidelity.

   Wen forced the useless thoughts out of her head and continued to set intentions. She placed the logs in the bonfire pit and arranged them carefully. She returned to collect more. By now the sun was well above the trees and happily reflecting off the river. It was warmer than usual early this morning, but the air still felt fresh and cleansed. Soon, her great grandmother and cousin would be busying themselves with ritual duties of their own.

   Wen ran up to the house to grab the basket and popped her head in the kitchen to check on Minnie. "How's it going? Need help?"

   "Music." Minnie said.

   "What?" Wen asked, confused. Today was a day of thoughtful silence and intentions. No music, no phones, no distractions until the gathering began.

   "Music, now. I need a distraction. I need out of my blessed head." Minnie was stressed. Clearly.

   "Record player?"

   Minnie nodded feverishly and waved Wen away.

   Wen looked through their eclectic record collection. She knew for whom she was looking to calm her sister. Soon, Nina Simone was softly pouring through their home. Her deeply smooth and genius voice always carried away worries. Wen peeked into the kitchen and Minnie swayed as she worked. Well done Nina, well done.

   With her sister soothed, Wen continued to collect what was needed for the gathering. She worked efficiently and thoughtfully as to not become distracted. She could see Gran and Cousin trekking back and forth to the gathering site. Her cousin Wes would be anxiously awaiting late acceptance into University. Gran would be fighting off thoughts of her great granddaughters' disappointing choices in life partners. All she wanted was to fill their land with more Glassons. Wen tirelessly tried to explain to her Great Grandmother, on several occasions, that there were no more clan wars. No need for turning women into breeding mares. Gran could not wrap her head around the idea.

   The sun was high and the preparations were finished. The Glassons, dressed in white, flowers in their hair, met at the river to wash and bless themselves and gave thanks to the life the waters nurtured. The cleansing was followed by tying the gold and crimson ribbons to the tall Sessile oak tree as an offering. Minnie's abundant feast was enjoyed as Wes lit the bonfire. Intentions were set, stories shared, and offerings given at the altar.

   No matter which guests curiously visited their tradition each year, their ever shrinking family would be together as it had always been. What united them was more than birth and lineage. Their worries and distractions of the modern world would be set aside, and the Glassons would pay homage to their ancestors and the season this solstice. They would be together, as the replenishing sun, finally tired, set.

June 25, 2021 19:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Sue Marsh
15:59 Jul 01, 2021

Rett, very interesting storyline, I enjoyed it. Although I am not overly sure of how well the prompt was followed. Maybe a slightly clearer view of the sun setting on the group. If you have a moment please read my Free in the Sun and leave a comment. Thanks Sue

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.