Cook it if you got it.

Submitted into Contest #100 in response to: Write a story where a meal or dinner goes horribly wrong.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Friendship Funny

Jack was never the popular kid at school, but this year he promised himself to do whatever it took to get the girl of his high-school dreams. Lauren, Jack has been fascinated over Lauren since he was in the 2nd grade. But of course Lauren never really noticed Jack. He didn't play sports, he wasn't on the debate team, he never really did anything to stand out. But this year was going to be different and he knew before they went off to collage he would have to make his move soon.

Jack was the quite type who stayed to himself and Lauren was the type who would throw the parties for the football players on the weekend and held all the social parties. Jack never attended them. But this year he needed something to stand out. Something that would Make her remember him. So he tried to sign up for the football team. If you can imagine this went horribly wrong. First day of practice Jack was worked over. The other boys were use to the psyical training so they made Jack keep up, atleast try! Jack went home so sore he thought to himself if I can't move my arms to even hug her what is the point? So then he tried to throw a party. Lots of kids showed up to his surprise but without the social importance that Lauren held all Jack got was to drunk, puked all over and his house tore too pieces. Jack thought to himself it's no use "she will never notice me!" Well that night feeling batterd bruised and beaten Jack cooked the family dinner which he usually did on the weekends. If there's one thing Jack did like to do it was cook. And he was mighty good at it. That night he made Nana's Italian Roulade and man was it good. So the next morning Jack went to school another usual day. And as he was about to give up his quest to make Lauren see that she might just really like him. When at the launch table he over herd her say. " this food is so crappy, there's nothing Sexier then a guy that can cook. BOOM! he found his way in.. at the instant with nothing to lose he jumped up and said Lauren... I would love to treat you to a real meal and forget this garbage. What do u say? How about tonight? My place? 8 o'clock? Lauren started to tell him she couldn't as he cut her off and told her "it shall be the best meal you've ever had thats a promise" she felt bad cause she could see the excitement in his face, he finally found his way in. So of course she said well yes Jack I would love that. Anything is better then this crap and the both laughed .. "a date it is" Jack said.

Jack rushes home from school that evening to get everything right and ready it had to be perfect this was Jack's last chance and he could feel it. Jack got to the store and grabs the finest ingredients and the best beverage he could think of. Tonight is the night he kept saying to himself. His mother in shock of the little man her son had become had took the family to the grandparents for a few to give Jack the house for awhile, she also excited for her little man. Jack go's home and starts his cooking chicken parmasian. He has the sauce made and he has the chicken In the oven seems like everything is going grate. He starts to get nervous. This could be the night that changes everything " it has to go right" he says to himself ... just as his date hits the doorbell Jack it putting all the final pieces together. He let's her in the house seats her and tells her she is in for a elegant and amazing night she is already amazed by the set up and the trouble and hard work Jack has put into this night she could tell he wanted it to be special ..

As Jack go's to plate the food, OH NO!!! the oven had been off this whole time. Oh No!!!! The night is ruined he thought. What am I going to do? Thoughts racing he tried to think of anything he possibly could to fix his huge mistake. There was nothing. Nothing Jack could do.. he tries to play it off while telling her it will be a little longer, knowing there was nothing cooking and he thought how could he be so stupid... Jack thought to himself "I give up, I'm done he drops to his knees and screams at the top of his lungs.. Lauren runs into the kitchen .. "ph my God Jack are you ok?" .. he says "NO! NO I'm not Lauren! I'm sorry I messed up the dinner. I wanted tonight to be so special, I die everything right, I tried everything, it's just not meant to be. I can't believe I'm such a fool how did I ever think it could be" Lauren says Jack what are you talking about. " Lauren" he says "I have loved you since my eyes have met yours, I have known that we was meant to be since day one when we would play on the playground I'm 2md grade, I know you've never seen me, I know I'm nothing special and I don't attend your parties and I couldn't handle the football team and I couldn't throw a partie like you. I couldn't even cook you a meal and I'm good at that. It's like I sabotage myself when it comes to you. But there are truly no words that can explain how much you mean to me. I just hope that one day we could share that feeling! I'm so sorry I have tried everything it's just not meant to be" Lauren's jaw dropped! " you did all this for me?" She said. Jack I always hated those stupid partied I thru and I never liked those full headed football players, you were so busy trying to impress me, you didn't even see me trying to chase you!" I don't need any of those things you have been my best friend I just felt like u didn't like me because you was so busy trying to fit in I thought. Jack you are all iv ever wanted. Haha! I can't believe we never knew this. We both could of saved so much time if we just would of spoke up wow! Kinda makes you feel a little crazy. Haha! Jack just sat there. Eyes huge mouth open with the biggest look of disbelief on his face. "There is no freaking way" he said ... "get out, just get out" Lauren replied "what?" Jack said .. I'm just playing oh my god" and gave Lauren the biggest kiss ever. That night they decided to both finish cooking the chicken. And ended up having the most amazing dinner ever. And the weight of the world was lifted of Jack's shoulders. He learned a valuable lesson this night. Nothing beats just speaking your mind and putting yourself out there. Ya you can't win them all. But you can also save yourself a lot of time fighting a battle you already had won. From the day on. Jack lived his life by these words. "Cook em if you got em" meaning if you got the chance just take it. . Jack and Lauren ended up breaking up about 2 years later but that was ok. Cause still that night he will never forget. They remain amazing friends and live in the same little town where they grew up. Jack a renowned chef and Lauren a whether girl.. so just remember folks cook em.if you got em. Food spoils!

June 26, 2021 00:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.