0 comments

Adventure Drama

“Ten Alligator teeth for this magnificent piece here!” The man stood by his market booth, gesturing at a small, but expensive jewel, a diamond. It caught my attention as I wandered my way over to his booth, admiring the beloved gem. I could never afford it, after all each alligator tooth is well worth over one million squirrel teeth.The last time I laid eyes on an alligator it had butchered my brother of his right hand, and even today we try to avoid em.No diamond is worth a limb, or several for that matter. After all, dollar bills and diamonds are ancient histories, leading the world into a new era. Here in North Carolina, we learn to fend for ourselves so to speak, leaving nothing behind, except for the teeth.

So eventually Trump started declaring teeth as the new currency, excited by the fact that we could go hunting the woods, and have an excuse! There is a slight problem though…many animals have gone scarce, foxes, deer, cows, sheep, pigs? The only remaining modern farming animals we have left are in my home being raised, or scattered throughout my neighbor's yards, careful not to let them all die out or be stolen. Right now I currently have thirty thousand gray squirrel teeth hidden, by the big oak in my backyard, and I currently have about Fifteen thousand on me. We can trade animal carcasses for more teeth as well as handcrafted items like baskets, chairs, tables, or nets. Therefore I made a living, using my hands, and slowly saving some teeth back as I progress in my homemade-making career.`

"Hey bro, whatcha doin'? Mom wants us back at the house by five” My brother's voice appeared from behind me as I turned around quickly. God, I hated how he gave me a smug grin, only making me jealous as I admired his confidence.`` Alright, it's…” I turn my head toward the sky on the horizon, trying to make out the time as I estimate the time.” Around two, ill be back by five, I promise”.His smile seemed like a relief as he pats my shoulder, and turned to walk away.”See you bro'' I yelled as he disappeared into the crowd.

I take one last glance at the diamond and moved on, keeping its trapping light embedded in my mind.Its mesmerizing gaze seemed beloved and expensive, but priceless compared to teeth as its transparent-glass look attracted my eyes.I decide to go hunting in the nearby swamps, wondering if I just might get lucky enough to find a small rabbit, or perhaps a fox.The sweet smell of freshly chopped oak coated the entire terrain as I walked past the sawmill, admiring the scenery.The old dirt road had been completely ripped of weeds and flowers, leaving nothing but the long grass along its sides.The sound of rushing water filled my ears as I noticed how cool it had gotten in the few minutes I had been out of town.

I smelt a subtle but sweet scent, almost like grown cucumbers still on the vine.Instantly a blurred figure rushed out of the tall lines of grass, it was an alligator! His hard-scaled skin touched my bare arm, if it was rough and rigid, each scale seemed sharper than the next.Its tale left a sharp, throbbing sting on my arm, making me convince myself that I'm on fire.” Get the hell outta there dumbass!” The voice was high and sharp, shattering the adrenaline that built up inside of me.I didn't turn around, I just sat there and stared at the alligator's teeth, each one was perfectly aligned within its mouth, not a single tooth was missing, nor out of place as its gums surrounded each one, its mouth looked like a dark hole as I stared down its hatch, shaking in fear.

“Move, move, move!” This time I turned around, and the voice seemed higher, more agitated as I faced a beautiful blonde woman.She grabbed a roll of duct tape, launched herself toward the alligator, and started circling it as I ran back a few feet.I watched in awe as she leaped onto the alligator while its mouth closed, she duck-taped its snout, holding its jaw shut as it tried to knock her off.And then it occurred to me, where the hell did she get duct tape? That stuff is like twenty thousand squirrel teeth per roll, so either she steals, or she's rich.She didn't wear a hat, nor hold a switch like Indiana Jones, instead, all she had was the tanned hide backpack she had dropped by the tree I stood beside, and the duct tape she was currently using.

Her hair seemed southern belle blonde, almost bleached a bright yellow, and her skin was smooth and tanned as freckles decorated her face.And from here her eyes looked almost brown, full of wonder and courage as well as caution.The alligator started to death roll back toward the tall grass, creating dust as it struggled to release itself from her grasp.She planted both feet on the ground and lifted its snout, allowing herself to restrain the alligator's movement.The alligator soon settled down as she rested on top of its hardened back, allowing herself to loosen as well.” Backpack, the one by the tree, get it.”

She spoke in an orderly manner, snapping her fingers toward the big oak she had laid her backpack beside.I immediately busted into a run toward her as I tightly held her backpack in my hand, it was lighter than I thought, seemed as if she only had a handful of things in her bag.I tossed it to her, hoping it would reach her so I wouldn't have to go near the dead-looking alligator myself, although I knew all too well, it wasn't dead yet.She reached quickly into her bag as it stood against the alligator's body, propped up while she drew out a knife, wielding it with her right hand as she held the alligator’s head with her left.She quickly slit its throat, allowing blood to drop onto the ground.It seemed almost vibrant against the darkened dirt road.And started cutting out its teeth…one by one.

April 24, 2023 18:51

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.