2 comments

Fiction Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

This story starts with a backpacker in the mountains somewhere in Utah. 

The girl was running away from society, so to speak. She didn't know if she would return. A week had passed and this girl was far from her city. For her, that was a long time. 

Her life in the mountains had started as a normal day. Packing up her supplies from her small camp, washing her few clothes in the river, etc. She had just begun to hike up a trail from a stream when a small corn snake slithered in front of her. 

"Hullo," The girl greeted the snake without thinking and walked around it. 

"Hello," A voice answered back. 

The girl froze, slowly turning to look at the snake. It stared back at her, its tongue flicking out. The girl shook her head and kept walking. A rustling behind her told the girl that the snake was following her. She tried to ignore it and succeeded. For only five minutes. 

The girl turned and asked to the snake, "Why are you following me?"

"Because I want to." came the short reply. 

The girl stumbled back, almost falling over. She hadn't expected an answer. She regained her balance and stood up straight. The snake was looking at her with its head slightly cocked to the side, much like a confused dog.

"You are confused. Worried for your sanity." the snake said but his voice, for it was a he, sounded like it was echoing in her mind instead of coming from his mouth. 

I must interrupt here to explain something. Magical creatures, witches, and wizards in this modern age are very hard to find. Because we don't believe in magic anymore or at all, if someone had a special talent for something nobody would suspect magic in it. 

But I digress. The girl was now feeling alarmed. Deciding to ignore everything that had just happened, she turned and began walking again, convincing herself that she had imagined the whole thing. The snake followed her but nothing else happened until that evening when she was in front of her campfire and the snake was curled up beside her. 

The girl had brought a small sewing kit and in the process of finishing a tiny top hat out of black felt. Without warning, the snake raised its head, causing the girl to jump, startled. 

"Ouch!" She yelped as she accidentally pricked her finger. "You scared- what are you doing?" 

The snake grabbed the hat, tossed it up and managed to somehow make it land perfectly on his head. The girl had to admit that he did look cute. The girl then sighed. "You know what, I'm giving up on asking questions."

She leaned back against a tree. "So do you have a name?"

The snake cocked his head, puzzled. "I thought you gave up on questions."


"Do you have one or not?" 

"...no." Said the snake almost sadly.

"Oh," The girl looked up at the sky, not knowing what to say.

"Do you have a name?" Asked the snake. 

The girl cringed. "Jamie." she said with disgust. "I hate it. I'd rather be named James."

The snake looked up at her, careful not to let the hat slip off.

"You would rather be a male?"

"No. I love charming the men with my feminine looks." Jamie winked at the snake who now seemed puzzled. Jamie cleared her throat, feeling awkward about this since the snake probably had no clue about what she meant. "Anyway, I just like the name James better."

The snake was silent.

Then, "Basilisk."

"What?" Jamie looked at the snake.

The snake straightened up, looking confident with his decision. "I want to be called Basilisk. It was the mighty king of snakes. I am now Basilisk." 

Jamie decided to let the snake choose that name and not suggest a different name. It actually suited him. 

"Good choice," she said. "But if I may ask, why have you been following me?"

"Because I wanted to." Basilisk curled up next to her. "I am lonely and you seemed lonely, in need of a friend." he raised his head. "Am I right?" 

Jamie looked at the fire. "Yes." she said quietly. Then, she changed the subject. "Are you hungry?"

"No. I ate three days ago." Came the answer. 

"Oh. Um, are there other snakes like you?"

"Not around here." 

Jamie decided not ask anymore. For a long time, there was no sound save for the crackling of the fire and the occasional rustle of wind. 

Jamie eventually laid down to sleep. Basilisk slithered onto Jamie and curled up on her stomach. Jamie was half asleep at the time and didn't react. 


Jamie spent six months in the mountains with Basilisk. I don't know all of the details of how they lived, but I do know Basilisk showed Jamie many things. Once, Basilisk took Jamie to a hidden pond full of fish that could walk on their tails.

"They look like fish from a Dr. Suess book." Jamie laughed and laughed harder when the fish joined her. Basilisk only smiled as he considered himself too serious to laugh. 

There were only three fish that were interested in actually getting to know Jamie and Basilisk. 

Emma, Wilson, and Carson helped Jamie with finding edible water plants. They could walk from place to place after all. Jamie still found that very funny. 

Another animal Basilisk introduced Jamie to was a proud buck named Kingsley.

Kingsley was a great help with telling Jamie where the cleanest sources of water were in that part of the forest and how to walk quietly when you didn't want someone to know you're there. As for what else happened in those six months, I haven't been able to find find out. 

But I do know what happened when they ended and life after. 

Jamie had been seated in front of her campfire and stroking Basilisk's scales (he was curled up on her lap.) when she said, "Basilisk, I've decided to go back to the city." 

Basilisk flicked his tongue out. His heart began to feel heavy. He was now facing the possibility of losing his dear friend. 

"When?"

"Day after tomorrow." Jamie told him. "I was wondering if you wanted to come with me."

Basilisk curled half of his body around Jamie's wrist. "I'd gladly have another adventure with you." 

Jamie smiled and went to sleep peacefully.


Jamie had many hardships after joining humanity again but pulled through with Basilisk's support. I know Jamie got a good paying job that allowed her to buy a camper and go on road trips. Basilisk had to get used to pet life and going to the vet every once in a while and from what I've heard, he still hates going. 

Jamie also met a nice man later on in life who loved snakes and was delighted to find out Basilisk could talk. But in case you're wondering how I know this story or how magic affected Jamie's life... Well, I have been asked to say only what you have just read. If you want to find magic and other wonderful things, I suggest you go find it for yourself. 

You'd be surprised how easy it is to find it around you.







May 16, 2020 02:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Keri Dyck
14:55 May 22, 2020

Wow! I love this! the narrator's voice is excellently warm and familiar.

Reply

Portal Jumper
18:23 May 23, 2020

Thank you! I had hoped the narrator's voice would be that way. I'm glad you loved it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.