1 comment

Fantasy Romance Drama

Soulmates.

Instead of growing up with prissy pink princess dreams, I grew up with soulmates. Everyone has a soulmate. No matter who you are, or what you've done.

There are many ways you can meet them. Some have a birthmark with the first word their soulmate will say to them. Some have a timer counting down every day, every hour, every second until they can meet them. Some have a silky red string that only they can see. There are so many kinds of ways you can meet your soulmate, all wonderful and dramatic, dreamy and romantic. And then there's me. The one girl stuck with the worst kind of soulmate meeting ever. Hi. My name's Ebony, and my whole life is kinda crazy.

In my world, there are scientists specifically for the study of soulmates. They can tell what way you're going to meet your soulmate, and boy were my parents in for a surprise.

As soon as I was scanned, all the scientists rushed out the room, eyes wide in shock. My parents ran after them worriedly, but the doctor told them to sit down. After three long hours of waiting, I was told that I had made a new way to meet your soulmate. Apparently, the year after meeting them, or at least being close to them for even the slightest second, I would have to go through each and every day and formally meet my soulmate. But there was a lot unknown to this new way of meeting your soulmate, so the scientists told me that it might be even more bothersome than it sounded. I remember I threw a tantrum after that, screaming and kicking and swinging my little chubby hands everywhere.

 

It's been years since that incident, and I've slowly come to accept the way I'd meet my soulmate, if I ever do. So here I am, sitting in a hammock in autumn with just a good book and a warm cup of apple cider for company. It's nice to have a break from reality every once in a while. Well, another day, another chance. Goodnight.

Alright so... after the embarrassingly long time it took me to process my situation, I realized I had ended up in a void, full of hundreds of computer screens flashing each and every memory of every day of the last year. Yeah... I know I'm not surprised. I'm weird like that. Well.... let's get started.

You know.. the thought just occurred to me after visiting several days. Why not sit back and enjoy this? I'm not going to spend 5,000 days replaying my memories stressfully searching for my soulmate. I'm going to live my life. Sure, I'll never get anywhere, but I want to enjoy this. If I find my soulmate, I find them. Think of this as.... a really long vacation.

It's been a couple years, and I've never been more happy. Every waking second I spend in this place is amazing. I get to meet old friends, do the things I always wanted to do and relive my best memories. I've also found out that here, I do not age. I know that soon I will get tired of this, but with hundreds of days to explore, I couldn't care less if I find my soulmate or not. But it's not as if I'm not searching.

Another year later. I do admit, I am getting desperate to find my soulmate. Well, another day, another chance. I'm in winter right now, specifically in January on the 28th. It's the day of the biggest snowstorm on record in our town. A day full of hot chocolate, sledding, using the snow as a freezer, toasted marshmallows and more hot chocolate. Right now, I'm watching marshmallows turn charcoal and caramel over the oven while chugging a vanilla hot chocolate. Yes, over the oven. I'm not using the fireplace, it'll murder our air. And yes, chugging. Don't look at me like that, I was thirsty, alright? Oh well. I guess I'll go shovel the sidewalk now- if I can get there.


I can't. I forgot exactly how much snow there was. Jesus, there must be at least five feet. I mean come on, I can't even get out the door. Screw it, we're using the leaf blower.

Not my brightest idea, but it worked! I have currently at least shoveled my door and the path to the sidewalk and onto the road. I guess I also forgot that my town's roads didn't get salted for five days, but they did clear the snow. So now it's just a really big sheet of ice. Me being me, I'd probably crash the second I started the car. So I decided to go and slide on the ice with my sled if I couldn't get to the hill. I mean, the roads were empty.

So... I was sliding down the hill, having a great time, when suddenly I see a person walk into the road. The snow being as high as it was, it was like when you were late to class and crashed into a first grader while sprinting around the corner. In other words, he straight up died. What made it even worse was that I look down, right? And I suddenly get that weird cliche gut feeling that this guy is my soulmate. So I just killed my soulmate, how's your day going? After five minutes of intense panicking, there's suddenly a bright white flash you see in movies that you're always surprised you don't get blind from, and I'm back to my hammock and the guy is still unconscious, on top of me, making me into a pancake. Hopefully a chocolate chip pancake and not a blueberry. After another five minutes of intense panicking, this boy finally wakes up, realizes where he is, starts remembering what happened, tumbles off me and we're suddenly caught in an awkward staring contest. Then he faints again. I just laugh from the absurdity of it all, and drag him into my house with a smile on my face.

March 14, 2020 03:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Ashlyn Leung
03:33 Mar 14, 2020

Sorry for the terrible ending.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.