54 comments

Fantasy

You see, I woke up and the snow was blue.

The snow was a bright baby blue.

Why was the snow blue?

No Idea.

I mean, there was no way that something I’ve known my whole life could just change one day.

Or could it... 

Oh gosh, now I’m just sounding delusional I really need some sleep.

This is probably just a bad dream.

---

I look over my diary entry in confusion. 

I wrote it last night. 

Jesus I must have been tired.

I don't even remember writing that!

Snow is not blue.

I mean, unless you put blue dye in it or something? But who the heck would do that.

Only a crazy person.

I brush away my curtains to glance at the world outside. 

To see if the snow has actually transformed.

I feel a rush of anticipation as the cloth of the long curtain gathers in my hands. What if the vision I wrote yesterday wasn't just a weird dream. What if…

With a jerk I woosh the curtains away from the small window.

The snow is not blue.

Of course.

Why would it be?

“Snow is not blue.” I whisper to myself while I shake my head.

I throw the writing in my notebook away.

I must have been delusional.

---

I decide to walk to work today so I can enjoy the snow. Get some sun this winter season.

The snow sure isn't blue, but it’s phenomenal all the same. Even though I know it’s cold outside, I can't help but feel like it’s a warm summer day and I am trudging through overgrown grass and not hills of snow.

Rather than feeling cold and frozen on the long walk to work, oddly, my body is warm.

Very warm.

Hot even.

I don’t feel a trace of cold. I was probably getting sick or something. 

It’s no matter.

I’m still going to attend work, this is no excuse. I am not one to make excuses.

But then again, you're also not one to imagine strange things… my brain points out.

I shake the thought away.

The walk to my office building is two miles away from my house. Not a bad little morning snippet of exercise if I do say so myself. It keeps me at least somewhat healthy and a little fit. But today it feels shorter, like i'm only walking a few blocks.

Weird.

In what seems like no time at all I am sitting at my boring desk. Not much ever happens here.

Nothing interesting anyhow.

---

When I leave work later that day, everything just seems off in a way. People all over the streets are running in specific directions with hoodies covering their faces. Usually I could tell if their scared, terrified, or just need to get somewhere fast based on their expressions.

Not today.

Today I can’t see the expressions. 

I felt left out. I was the only person on the streets without a hoodie, and not running. 

I hated feeling like this.

I felt a need to fit in.

And so I ran to the nearest store and grabbed a hoodie to buy.

“Hi! I would like to purchase this hoodie.” I said to the cashier.

Who was also wearing a hoodie.

He stared at me for a moment. A shadow was covering his face. It hit at the perfect angle, so I couldn't see it.

“Hello?” I said after a moment of awkward silence.

He took a sharp breath in.

“Come... follow us to the world of faces.” he mumbled.

“Huh?”

The light washed over his face.

Except, he had no face.

Just skin.

---

I awoke with beads of sweat clinging to my skin for dear life.

So it was all a dream.

Of course it was.

People definitely had faces.

Life was definitely normal.

---

I went through a day of work once again.

Except today wasn't boring.

It was actually quite the opposite.

Work was interesting and when I got home, there was somebody there watching me. He was tall and handsome, but in a creepy sort of way.

I looked out the window to see if he had a car. Maybe he was just here to visit.

I found no car, but the view was perfect.

Too perfect.

There wasn't even one indent in the snow that surrounded me. The snow that I had just walked on.

The snow hadn't fallen from the sky all day.

Which means…

I never left footprints...

This was not right.

---

I woke up again, but this time I was unsure of what was dream and what was reality.

There was a surgeon in front of me.

I was in a hospital of sorts.

“Are you real?” I asked him.

He laughed.

“For now.” he said.

I took an inventory of the room, but stopped short when I realised...

My mother was lying in a bed next to mine.

My mother who had died five years ago.

She was breathing steadily.

“Mom?!”

“Shh.” the surgeon said. “She’s under the serum as you will be soon.”

“Huh?”

I pinched myself and it hurt.

Was this real?

The surgeon pulled out a large shot.

“I will now inject you,” he said. “Thanks again so much for helping us in our efforts.”

“What?! I never agreed to this!” I screamed.

“I know.” he replied sadly. “But your family was chosen five years ago and now you are property of science.”

I tried to argue, but he injected me with whatever he was holding before I could speak.

I was at home.

But not my home.

When I ran outside, I tripped and fell.

Right into a fresh pile of strange snow.

Changed snow.

Blue snow.



January 10, 2020 18:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

54 comments

Todd Кelly
15:33 Dec 26, 2021

Cool! Strange. I like it

Reply

Show 0 replies
Noor Barq
01:20 Apr 21, 2021

wowwwww!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zatoichi Mifune
08:57 May 30, 2023

Wow! I've just read this story and I loved it! It's really creepy, and just doesn't make sense! (but in a good sense if you know what I mean). Love the beginning, and especially the bit with the people with no faces. You've got to follow that up in a new story (unless you already have, this is the first of your stories that I've read)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.