4 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Clinking reverberated throughout the cave - a familiar sound that has long since etched into the crevices. Magnus sighs - admiring his reflection has lost its value as has the spectacles he's acquired. The luster of their shine, the sharpness of their cut, some hide in the adorned craftsmanship of mahogany and steel. Any man would covet their splendor - many have but alas their possessions only add to his collection.


None escape his wrath - their charred bodies become delicacy on his plate, a now rare commodity. It has been years since anyone has visited - now he wonders if they still exist. He was never big on family, just the same his brothers cared little for him in turn. Mama favorite he was - they dare not say to his face, though the youngest - no match for him they were.


A bed of gold,  a pillow to match with fine gold linen, laced with precious gems now held no value. To accustomed to these sights he has gotten. He wants adventure - no entertainment, for this why not offer his collection in return.


Haha, "I should set up a meeting with the others".


He tries to open his act-o-reach.


"Open sesame … Abra open …", scratching his head he ponders what was the password. Is it a sign of his age - ney, his last quarrel was but a century ago. Since then he had not spoken to anyone except the fools after his collection. The others as well cared not to hear his voice.


"Let's see… the password I think was something from human folklore. Let's see… … Ahhh!! Nothing's coming. Where's a human when you need them?"


Such hope is lost to him. Even if a human came, would they entertain his whim? Sure not at least not a regular human anyway.


As he tries to remember the words to get his act-o-reach open he passes the time by trying to flick some coins into an empty case. He makes one in three.


“... Is it Abracadabra… “


Flick - clang, flick = clang, flick - clink.


I wonder if I have it wrong. Could it be based on something else.


“Baa, whatever - wish I had some bbq human, right about now.”


Ding. The menu pops up.


“Oh yeah, I thought changing the name to my favorite food would be better… haha.”


He changes the phone tab to contact and checks his list. Not surprisingly he only has a few contacts - besides his family, he only has a few friends. Victus of lightning and thunder, Meloqu of ice and frost, Ermaya of earth, a lover of nature. Optioning to the conference option he adds Victus, Meloqu and Ermaya to the call and sends it through. 


Rrng, rrng, rrng.


Victus checks his phone and sighs. What does Magnus want?


“Hello”

“Vic, how you been?”

“I’m fine”

“Great, great - listen I need your help with something.”

“... Oh, really now.”

“Don’t do that Vic you know me.”

“Yeah, I know you so much I thought since you haven’t been in touch for a while you were dead.”

“Ha… ha-ha. Come on now, you know me better than that.”

“Haa… What is it you want?”


Meloqu accepts the call without checking.


“Hello, who is this?”

“Melo”

Holding her head, “Mag-nus”

“The one and only.”


“Hey Mel”

“Vic, what are the two of you up to now?”

“Don’t Magnus was about to explain.”


“A-em, a-em, as I about to say”


Ermaya stares at the incoming call wide-eyed. An angrily accepts.


“MAGNUS YOU BASTARD DON’T CALL ME!!”


Ermaya hangs up.


“...”

“What did you expect Magnus?”

“Vic, I thought we got pass that.”


“Maybe you Mag but not Er. You know what you did.”

“Come on Melo, you know it was an accident.”

“Sure, sure, an accident.”


Clearing his throat. “Okay, Vic, Melo, I got a dilemma and I need your help”. Victus and Meloqu look at each other. In unison they think Nothing good will come of this. Still it was Magnus so they were open to hear just why he was contacting them. Magnus explains that he’s bored and wants ideas of how to use his treasure to lore humans for some entertainment.


“Are you that bored?”

“Vic, no one’s come by in age.”


“Why would they?”

“Mel, my reputation can’t be that bad.”

Trying to contain herself, “Ar-ar-are being serious”. Meloqu bursts out laughing.

Magnus is unamused. “Should I melt your precious mountain”.

Annoyed Meloqu retorted, “You think, I’ll stand by and let you.”


“Both of you calm down. Magnus there’s no need for threats. We don’t need a war.”


Magnus and Meloqu stare at each other playing a game of chicken.


“I’m out. Magnus come if you dare”. Meloqu ends the call.


“...”

“Just call her back.”

“... Fine.”


Magnus redials Meloqu, she watches the call for a minute - takes a breath and sighs before accepting. Scratching his face Magnus apologetically says, “Sorry”.


“Right, let's get back to the call.”

“Victor, why don’t you butt out.”

“Mel, I’ve told you hundred times it’s Victus.”

“Whatever.”

“Sighing, Magnus do you have any ideas in mind?”


“... Hmm, well..”

“Huh, you called and you don’t have an idea.”


“Mel, stop it.”

“That’s why I called in the first place. Is it my fault you-”

“Stop right there Magnus, just stop. Let me think for a bit… Magnus…”

“What?”

“When was the last time you actually left your lair?”

“I don’t know. Why?”


“Haha, you are such a neet.”

“A what?”


“Don’t worry about that Magnus. You need to go out and see how the world is right now.”

“Why?”

“It will help with ideas and you can see why/how they’re avoiding you.”


“True, humans have advanced in recent years.”

“Really? Humans are fools compared to us.”


“Yeah, well they’ve got wiser.”

“...”

“It’s evident since no one has come by your lair long enough for you to be bored.”

“I just have too much stuff, is all.”



“Someone’s in denial.”

“Mel, easy now.”


“I just need an idea, no need to see what humans are up to.”

“Haa, stubborn as usual.”


Victus proposes Magnus create a labyrinth. To Magnus it seems too simple but in truth Magnus' understanding of what a labyrinth is is lacking. His lair reveals as much - he expended no effort and just chose an empty cave.


Getting nowhere the three's meeting ends.


Rrng, rrng


"Vic, why'd you call back?"

"You need to go see how humans live."

"We've been through this already."

"Yes we have…"

"You look like you've got something to say."

"You shouldn't underestimate what humans can do."

"Compared to us they're nothing."

"... Maggie thinks differently. You should listen to what she has to say."

"Maggie?"

"Have you forgotten your baby sister?"


In truth he had and why wouldn't he. He was barely around when she was born - though she adored him so.


He nervously chuckled, "Right, right Maggie…".

"She's on her way to you as we speak."

"... Why are you such a busy body?"


"Mags… Mags."

"..."

"Mags, didn't hear me calling you."

"... I distinctly remember telling you not to call me Mags."

"Sure sure, hi Vic."


"Maggie. Magnus I'm out."


Victus ends the call before Magnus could reply. Standing before him was Maggie in human form. She expresses what Victus told her and questioned Magnus on his reluctance. Just as Victus had assumed but not expressed, Magnus had forgotten how to transform since he hadn't done so in ages.


It takes Maggie a few days to coach Magnus. Finally he's able to transform without any issues. Still he wasn't content to go see how humans lived. Maggie explains that his lair has no one around it - this surprises Magnus.


Due to his presence, the people had decided to move - this was so long ago that the forestry had grown to the extent of hiding the entrance to his lair. It was only due to Victus' directions and her dragon sense that Maggie had been able to find Magnus' lair.


Their excursion took a while to reach a human town. Magnus wanted to fly but Maggie insisted they walk. To his surprise human advancement made roads that were smooth to the touch. Even more so though was their advancement now enabled them to fly in a steel body with wings and steel chariots abound on what the human called streets but are just a fancy way of saying road.. 


Following Maggie's suggestion they head to a nearby cafe to meet a friend. Magnus observes with awe the modern man and what they have accomplished but he is careful not to let it show and not to stray too far from Maggie. Now he understands why Maggie gave him the clothes he’s wearing - he thought it was just a female type, something to show he was in fashion and while that is correct the strangeness he now knows has meaning. He thinks it really has been a long long time since he has seen the world.


They enter the cafe and to the lift to go to the next floor where Maggie says their friend is waiting. Magnus wonders about this, their friend. If she said it was simply her friend, he would have understood but to say their friend had him wondering - perhaps Vic was meeting them. For all Magnus knew, Victus was the only one of his friends Maggie knew.


“Hey Erma, you wait long?”

“Hey-”. Ermaya is a loss for words. “I think I should go.”

“Wait, wait, Erma I know you and Mags-”

Ermaya says sternly, “What do you know?”

“Just… sit down and let’s talk, you know.:


Against her better judgment Ermaya sits back down. Maggie directs Magnus to sit at the opposite end of the table as she sits besides Ermaya.


Sheepishly Magnus says, “Erma, you’re looking well.”

“...”


“What is he doing here?”

“... You know Mags’ a recluse. So I’m helping him get out into society.”


“I am not a recluse. Besides-”

“Besides, what? You’re just a brute.”

“I apologize for what happened. Why don’t you just get over it already.”

“... Get over it… Get over it… You burn down ¾ of my forest. Do you know how long it took to grow those trees?”


“Ok, ok, Mags you have to admit that burning down her forest like that wasn’t nice.”

Angrily Magnus replies, “It was an accident.”


“An accident. An accident that happened after I refused to go out with you.”

“...”


“You have to admit, that… that doesn’t sound like an accident.”

“...”


“Okay, we’re not going to get anywhere if the two of you aren’t going to talk to each other.”


“...”

“...”


Sighing, “Fine, I’ll talk. The two of you listen, okay… So Mags has a boatload of treasure he’s been keeping and now he wants to do something with it. That’s what I heard from Vic, am I right?”

“Yeah, you're right.”

“Good, so we are here to figure something out.”


“Erma, you have a similar problem so I figured it would be good for the two of you to work together.”

“... I never thought you were bitch Maggie but this.”

“Come on, you act like you don’t talk about Mags all the time.”

“I-I-I do not.”


“...”


Maggie explains that humans are fascinated with labyrinths much to Magnus’ dismay but she ignores his reluctance to listen and carries on. As he tries not to listen, Maggie’s talk begins to intrigue him. Soon he is listening attentively. Ermaya, though adverse to the idea of working with Magnus, likes the plan put forth by Maggie.


The plan is, they set up a labyrinth in a cave that is a few miles away. Maggie has already been there and it has multiple levels. Alternating levels would be plant and fire type traps with a helping of treasure to entice adventurers to travel further in. Meloqu could set up some icicles that drop at different points in Magnus’ level, that is in the safe areas to force the adventurers to move along. Also Victus could help add some shock elements to the floor of Ermaya levels to guide the adventurers along a specific path. Maggie would take care of the signs needed to both guide and deceive the adventurers.


At the end of the labyrinth would be the grand prize, the holy sword from Magnus’ collection that the world was desperate to find. Of course you’d have to fight against Magnus though it would only be a replica made with dragon magic.

February 17, 2023 16:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Jacob Weber
22:18 Feb 21, 2023

Dragon's with cellphones. That's a fun twist!

Reply

Keith Maynard Jr
23:29 Feb 21, 2023

Glad you liked it. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Wendy Kaminski
00:14 Feb 18, 2023

This was a fun story, Keith! I like how the dragons came up with the adventure cave, which explains the backstory of dragon tales to come for centuries. :D - "Open sesame … Abra open …", - cute! - “Oh yeah, I thought changing the name to my favorite food would be better… haha.” - lol :) - “Okay, we’re not going to get anywhere if the two of you aren’t going to talk to each other.” “...” “...” - cracked me up! :D Enjoyed your dragon story!

Reply

Keith Maynard Jr
01:35 Feb 18, 2023

Glad you liked it. :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.