1 comment

General

My hand slipped inside my pocket, grasping for the button that had been there only moments before. I was met with an emptiness, nothing in my pocket. Panic set across my face as my eyes scanned the ground around me in search for the missing button.

"Oh god... Oh god! Where did it go? Please lord, just let me find it!" I exclaimed, drawing attention to myself. The eyes of the surrounding villagers on me. I could hear their whispers rippling through the crowd. If I didn't find that button I would be stuck here. I could not let that happen. I could not be stuck here, I would never see my family again.

'Think Kara, you need to think!' I thought to myself, trying to remember exactly where I had the button last. I had just stopped by the bakery and before that I visited the graveyard. Those were the last two places that I had the button. I must have dropped it somewhere along the way. I spun around, crashing into a man dressed in 19th century attire.

"Aye, I am quite sorry about that miss. Are ye alright?" He spoke, his accent making it slightly difficult for me to understand his words. I nodded my head, refusing to speak lest he hear my voice and notice I was not from around here. The man wondered off and I didn't give him a second glance, I didn't have time to worry about this slight inconvenience. My time was limited and if I didn't find my button soon then there would be no going back. I whisked my way to the village bakery, the folds of my dress moving and swaying as I walked. I did my best to avoid drawing any form of attention to myself.

There it was. Ol' Greenway Bakery, I had only been there moments ago yet now I was back and with a purpose. I pushed my past a small group of women who had been standing in front of the bakery door, the scoffed at me but I did not care. They did not matter when my entire life was on the line. My hands shook as I scanned over the floor of the bakery, finding no sight of the bright red button that I was searching for. I couldn't believe that it wasn't here, it had to be here! It had to be somewhere! I needed to find it. I had to get back home. I chewed on my bottom lip, my teeth tearing at the soft flesh lightly before I turned my eyes toward the baker. Maybe she knew or saw something relating to the button? It was worth the risk to approach her and ask.

"Excuse me... Have you seen a strange object with a red dot on it?" I asked the baker, my gaze casted downward to avoid her eyes. The eyes always revealed what the soul was trying to hide.

"A red dot? Oh my! I haven't seen anything like that here. Have you lost your jewelry? I can't imagine any other object that would contain a red dot. If you would like I could help you look?" The baker offered politely, it was kind of her though I could not accept. It would create too much problems in the future. Even the slightest interaction could cause many occurrences. It was never wise to get close to the people here.

I shook my head, "No, I do not need any help," I mumbled almost incoherently before turning around and exiting the bakery hastily. Once more, I pushed past the women and set off on my way. There was only one other place I could think to look, the graveyard. I had visited earlier to see the grave of my great-great-great grandmother. She had died long before my time, though the stories I heard of her were quite a feat. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a figure of a man lurking in the shadows. Was I being followed? No, that was not logical. Who would follow me? Had I given off too much suspicion? I turned my head to see who it was. It took me a mere moment to realize that it was the man I had bumped into previously. A chill ran down my spine, why would he be following me?

I picked up my speed, nearly tripping over a rock, and ushered myself to the graveyard. It was quiet and misty, a very uneasy feeling settling over me. Something was wrong, but I did not have the time to think of it. By the position of the sun I could tell that I had merely a hour until I was stuck here forever. I searched the ground on my hand and knees, no longer caring if I drew attention to myself. I refused to give up. I could not stand being here for even a moment longer. Suddenly, the sound of footsteps filled my ears. Someone was coming! I had to hide. I scrambled to my feet, pulling myself behind a headstone and crouching. My heart was pounding in my chest and my thoughts as cloudy as the mist graveyard. There was a low chuckle from behind me, I lifted my head and looked up to find the man that had been following me.

"Oh dear, you are in quite a predicament. It isn't wise for a time traveler to lose their machine. It could be very dangerous," the man spoke in a cold tone. His previously accent no longer there. I stood up, the realization that he too was not from this time. In his hand was my button.

A blush creeped up on my cheeks as I took the button, "I am sorry sir. I must have dropped it. It won't happen again," I apologized and bowed my head respectfully. A laugh echoed in the nearly empty graveyard.

"I am certain that it won't, Kara Rhinestone. The council will be keeping a very close eye on you. Now you must be leaving. I will see you in about 200 years," with that I pressed the button. A flash of light filled my village and I was transported back to my home.

December 03, 2019 01:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

James Offenha
03:04 Dec 15, 2019

Wish I had known the button was for a time machine at the beginning of the story. I didn’t feel urgency for a button. You need to show more and tell less. But that’s just my 2 cents.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.