0 comments

Asian American Fiction Holiday

Mirasol is preparing food for the coming celebration of her daughter's eighteenth birthday. She must have to pick the right foods for these group of teens who may be having some difficulty when it comes to the kind of food they must be eating. Marivic her daughter wants to please her friends telling her mother to pick the food they want to eat on her birthday. So Marisol secretly gathered recipes for the occasion. She knows how food affects the overall health of the family and she wanted to share the healthy food her family is eating and enjoying to the best of her knowledge since that time when she changed their family food lifestyle. It started when their family doctor in one of her visit to her clinic declared that she may develop the most dangerous kind of disease suffered by millions at this present age wherein the whole population is being affected hence they have to be careful in dealing with it. Mirasol didn't have any second thoughts to change what her family is eating. If she will continue the kind of food she is preparing everyday as a working mother she will be in the list of diabetic patients sooner after listening what her family doctor said to her. The scariest warning that she heard is the loss of her eyesight. Second to that if not prevented are the complications each organ in the body will suffer due to side effects of the prescription drug. Mirasol didn't follow her family doctor instead she made some research online and learned how to change her present food choices.. Her husband who has more health issues than her also needed a new food prepared for him to reduce his pain. For both of them they take a mixture of lemon ginger and honey but no honey for Mirasol to avoid the sugar in honey. The same with Marivic their only daughter. Her orange juice is limited to one glass daily. Marisol needs a strong will in order to safeguard the whole family's health and wellbeing, She endured her husband's criticisms of not following the advice of their family doctor. When she learned from the information she gathered that she can drain her sugar by not eating starchy food for two months she religiously followed thinking that she must be healthy to be her husband;s caregiver having all the sickness of high blood pressure arthritis and shortness of breath due to emphysema caused by heavy smoking. When Mirasol buys her groceries she no longer use jams in her sandwiches but change them to protein like cheese or peanut butter. She no longer drink coffee to increase her sleeping hours. In the morning she drinks a glass of lemon juice ( the juice of a whole piece of lemon) to neutralize the acid in her stomach and convert it into alkaline having read it could even prevent the onset of cancer cells. Mirasol prepares their breakfast meal containing the three food groups. First, are foods containing carbohydrates such as bread rice or cereal. Second, protein such as dairy products and poultry,. Third, foods such as fruits and vegetables containing vitamins and minerals. Marisol become observant on what she buys at the grocery store. She may buy the whole wheat bread over the white bleach bread. No matter how enticing the cakes are being decorated even pies when sugar is filled in them is quite dangerous to health., The same with drinks. She no longer buy sodas, fruit juice drinks thus containing fructose added to that sugar as its preservative. Instead plain water to drink is enough. Chocolate milk must be substituted with vegetable milk. In Marisol's case she takes skim milk to avoid lactose that her stomach cannot tolerate. Why is food so important to one's health? It means million of dollars when the kind of food people takes causes illnesses. Why do people go to the hospital? What kind of illness are they being treated? Some may not be aware that their illness was cause by the wrong choice of food like the obese people. Don't you think they keep on feeding themselves with junk food as they crave in eating them? Their daily intake will increase their weight, their blood pressure and cause heart attacks and heart failures. Mirasol painstakingly followed her daily routine and recorded the three kinds of food she is eating in every meal, breakfast, lunch and dinner. From the diabetes kit her cousin gave it to her after giving birth that is when her gestational diabetes ended. Mirasol use it to check her sugar level everyday. In her record there was only a few times that her sugar level went up. What she did is to eat the same amount of food everyday to maintain her normal sugar level. She has change her health care professional into a Naturapathic Doctor. She has a yearly visit with her since she left her Family Physician. She checked her food supplements compose of vitamins and minerals. Specifically multivitamin, B12, Calcium,Magnesium and Vitamin D. She visited her for the last ten years with no health complications at all.

Then it is her daughter's eighteenth birthday. In preparing her daughter's birthday she wants to share her new found healthy food lifestyle. She may only serve one kind of fresh citrus fruit juice , only three kinds of fresh cut fruits with less sugar like berries, Strawberry, Blueberry and Raspberry. She will only serve whole wheat bread, cheesecake , make her own pies with less sugar. Asise from that the dairy food products will be freshly baked casseroles and no processed foods to be served. On her birthday her daughter dress in soft lavender color with matching earrings, necklace and silver ring. This is such a special occasion that Marivic wears a diamond studded crown to the wonder and excitement of the partygoers. Nine pairs of her friends and classmates with white roses each to give to the celebrant as she passes by. The most exciting part is her first dance with her father to the tune of my FATHER'S DANCE, Mirasol greeted the attendees to partake together to a sumptous dinner with the three kinds of food she has served. Everybody sings Happy Birthday before the eighteen tier of cheese cake is served. Overall Mirasol is very thankful that she is healthy for the last ten years with no health issues at all. Her friends at work are wondering how she is coping when her husband has many health issues. To Mirasol it is her dedication to take care and provide for the family keeps her going through while taking care of herself too. It is imperative that everyone have to find their way to look after themselves especially those with families. It is the duty of parents to take responsibility about their health when it comes to food as they say "what you eat. is what you are".

April 24, 2024 17:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.