0 comments

Funny

It was a snowy day in Chicago, Angelique had started her first day at Bob's Barrel of Toys and she was very excited. She had always seen herself as a hard working woman and loved children so this was going to be a piece of cake, right? Or so she thought. Little did she know, this would be the most eventful day of her life. 

8'o clock, right on the dot. Angelique had been stocking the shelves when her coworker opened up the front doors of the store. Suddenly, her ladder began to shake and a loud rumbling was heard. Clinging onto the shelf for day life Angelique turned her head to see just what had caused the whole store to shake. In stormed an army of children and their sleep deprived parents. Almost immediately there was a rush to get each child's favorite toy. The screaming of toddlers and small children raked the poor girl's ears. Her blue eyes were wide with shock as she was helped down from the ladder by her coworker.

"You're new here right? Listen, just avoid getting in the way of what the kids want and you should be fine. If not... well, let's just say that the last employee who did that went home with two broken legs," the man in the red vest and elf hat said. Angelique just stood there in pure shock before quickly nodding her head. Her coworker gave her a wink and nudged her into the war zone. Two mom's with sweatpants were fighting over the last baby opsy doll while their children cheered them on. Angelique pushed her way through the crowded store and reached her station. A spot at one of the many cash registers. 

This was certainly not how she expected to spend her first day at a new job. A screaming child flew past her, clinging onto a weird toy. 

"I got him!" Shouted a man, who Angelique assumed was the child's father, before the child landed in his arms with surprising grace then set him down before another children went flying with a princess doll clutched in her tiny arms. Angelique could barely process this whole situation, was every single store like this during December? Did the parents seriously act this way? There were still 10 days till Christmas, could she really handle this madness for 10 more days? There was no way she could survive more than a week of this unreal behavior. She was surprised scientists had not already come to study these people's odd behavior. Well, they did already check in on the store the week before. 

Angelique was startled out of her thoughts by a woman panting in front of her, slamming down toys onto the check-out table. Two small children were wailing behind her, they sounded like little demonic banshees and sent chills down Angelique's spine. 

"How much?" The mother asked in a gruff voice as Angelique hurriedly swiped the toys and put them in bags. 

"210.78," Angelique told the woman as calmly as she could despite the pounding of her heart within her chest. 

The woman glared at Angelique, taking her debt card out of her pocket, "Damn demons, making me buy overpriced toys for them," she mumbled under her breath before swiping her card. Angelique helped put the bags in the cart and wiped the sweat off her brow. 

Just as the woman started walking away, sirens began to go off in the store. Over the intercom came a loud booming voice. 

"We have a code blue! I repeat a code blue! All costumers please exit the store in an orderly fashion!" Angelique felt her chest tighten, she had never heard of a code blue when she was applying for the job.

Her coworker ran up to her with wide eyes, "We have a code blue! Rampaging demon child!" He screamed with fear before grabbing Angelique's hand and running with her to the back room. They huddled behind a large box of toys while the sound of customers scrambling to leave filled their ears.

Her coworker turned to face her, his hand moving to rest on her cheek, "If we don't make it out of here... I want you to know. I have loved you for as long as I have known you. Which has been exactly 2 days," he said in a overly romantic tone. Normally this sort of mush would make her puke, but with these circumstances she would gladly return his feelings. Angelique pulled him into a kiss before pulling away. It was the first time she had ever kissed someone. She had never imagined it would be with a guy that she had only met two days before.

"I love you too..." She confessed, blushing softly and smiling. Her fingers trailed up his arm before resting on the nape of his neck.

Suddenly, there was a noise from outside the back room door. Angelique stood up and approached it cautiously. 

The door swung open and in stepped a beautiful woman holding a toddler with red skin and horns. 

"Excuse me, my son needs to use the restroom," the woman said in a posh way. Angelique paused and stared with confusion before turning to point at the bathroom. 

The woman nodded and smiled before heading into the bathroom. Once more the intercom came on.

"Code blue has been contained! I repeat code blue has been contained!" Angelique laughed and ran her fingers through her hair before turning to face her new lover. Her coworker took her hand and grinned.

"Let's get out of here," he said before they began to leave the, once again chaotic, store. 

Angelique walked by his side and smiled at him. "Oh by the way, what's your name?" She asked, tilting her head. Surprised that she had not learned his name sooner. 

The man winked at her and smirked. "It's Bond, James Bond". Then the two store employees walked off into the snowy sunset, leaving behind the monstrosity that was awaiting in Bob's Barrel of Toys and they were finally free. 





December 11, 2019 22:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.