0 comments

Fiction Romance Happy

It was a hot day in San Antonio, Texas, like every day. Alex sat in her cubicle doing paperwork and taking calls, sweating, even with several fans blowing on her at all times. She fanned herself with her hand when someone flicked the back of her head. She spun around in her chair and looked at the alleged flicker angrily.

“Ugh! Crosby, what do you want?” she said, rubbing the back of her head.

“Oh just came to drop off this stack of papers,” he replied. In his hand was a huge stack of papers Alex probably had to sign or read through. She sighed and put her hands out to take the papers, but Crosby dropped the stack of papers leaving a mess all over the floor.

“Oops!” he said and walked away. Alex felt like she could scream. She fell to the floor and began to pick up all the papers. Her co-workers just stared at her, none offering to help. Some even giggled.


When picking up the papers, there was an occasional ad or two, but one particular ad caught her eye. It was an ad for a couples reality tv show. You and your significant other compete in challenges to win a million dollars. Alex gasped. A million dollars! That’s a lot of money. Money she needed. There was one problem. She was single. How was she supposed to compete if she had no partner? As she was thinking of a plan, Crosby walked back over.

“Look, I feel bad for dropping those pap-Woah, what’s that?” Crosby snatched the ad out of Alex’s hand and read it.

“A million dollars! That’s huge! I want that money!” he said.

“Ya, so do I, but I’m single,” Alex told him as she continued to clean up Crosby’s mess. He bent down to help her.

“Well. I’m single. Your single. We both want the money.” he replied looking at her in a way she dreaded. She immediately stood up.

“Ew! Oh my god, no! There’s no way in hell I'm dating you!” she shouted in disgust. People looked at her, some told her to shut up.

“No, ew. Like, pretend. Not for real. We play, win, split the money, and go our separate ways. Like it never happened.” he whispered standing up with her.

“I’m not sure about that.” she hesitated, “You're kind of like the most annoying person on this planet.”

“Whatever, I guess you won’t get eight hundred thousand dollars,” he said, starting to walk off.

“Wait. eight-hundred thousand dollars! That means you only get twenty-hundred thousand. You can do math, right?” she said concerned, but happy too.

“Yes! I’m an accountant, idiot. I don’t need that much money, I have a good salary. You, however.” he replied.

“I hate you. Fine, but only this one time! I mean it!” she told him, shaking her finger.

“Ok, mom,” he said and walked away. She let out a loud grunt and got back to work.


When Alex got home that day, she got a call. The contact calling her read “DO NOT ANSWER”. She knew it was Crosby. Sadly, she had to answer. 

“What, Crosby? I just got home!” she answered madly.

“I signed us up for the show! It’s called America’s Next Best Couple. I bought our plane tickets for 8:00 pm tonight and we’ll be there by We’re headed to LA! Start packing and I’ll pick you up at 7:00 pm. See you there!” he said excitedly and hung up. 


That was it. Alex screamed at the top of her lungs. He hadn’t even thought to ask and make sure she still wanted to get on a plane and go compete for a million dollars. Which she would have yes, but you get the point. She decided to stop pouting about it. She would have to get used to his shenanigans. She walked through her apartment, into her bedroom, and began to pack.


Crosby arrived right on time that night. Alex was still pissed at him but wasn’t going to flip out on him. He wasn’t worth her breath. They packed their suitcases into the trunk of Crosby’s car and drove to the airport.

“So, are you excited? We’re gonna win so much money!” he said, looking at her and the road.

“Yeah, I am,” she responded, tiredly. Crosby wouldn’t have this.

“What kind of answer is that? We should be celebrating! I had to pay like five-hundred bucks to get us on the show and thousands for first-class tickets! Get hyped up!” he said, raising the roof. Alex gasped. First-class! That was incredible, but why didn’t he ask her to help pay? Why had he done so much stuff without asking for help? Alex was very confused. She was just about to ask when they pulled into the airport parking lot.

“Yay! We’re here! I’ll grab our bags!” Crosby cheered, like a child about to eat ice cream. Alex got out of the car to see Crosby carrying all of the bags.

“Here, let me take some,” she suggested walking up to him.

“No, no. I’m just fine. Let’s go!” he said with a little skip of excitement in his step. Alex, still very confused, followed him to the gatehouse.


Alex walked behind Crosby through coach and into first class. It made her feel special to be the only one in first class, besides Crosby of course. They both sat in their seats and one of the flight attendants came up to them.

“Welcome! Are you one of the lucky couples competing on America’s Next Best Couple?” she asked. Crosby held Alex’s hand.

“Yes, we are! Very excited to be here!” he said. Alex tugged her hand out of his and put it on her lap.

“Could I speak to my...husband alone please?” she stuttered. Husband? She thought. Ew!

“Of course, ma’am!” the nice woman said and walked to the coach.

“EW! Crosby, what was that!?!” Alex whisper-shouted at him in disgust.

“How is it supposed to be believable if we don’t act even a little affectionate?” he whisper-shouted back.

“Oh my god, no. You know what? I’m not doing this, goodbye.” Alex whisper-shouted again when over the intercom, the pilot said.

“Y’all better fasten your seatbelts, we are taking off!” Alex walked back into her seat and sat down. She fastened her seatbelt.

“I hate you, Crosby.”


It was a long flight, and Crosby would not let Alex sleep. He kept blabbering on and on about what the challenges could be like, what fancy food they would, but the one that woke her up, was when he said that they might have to sleep in the same bed.

“OH, MY LORD! EW! WHY WOULD PUT THAT PICTURE INSIDE MY HEAD, CROSBY? EWWWW!” she whisper-screamed and walked over into the next aisle and sat in the seat far away from him. Crosby followed.

“Sorry, if we have to I’ll sleep on the floor. It’s not like anyone will know,” he said, apologetically.

“Crosby. Oh, Crosby. WE’RE GOING ON A REALITY TV SHOW! TELEVISION! CAMERAS! PEOPLE WILL KNOW YOU, IDIOT! LET ME SLEEP!” she screamed. Crosby whispered sorry and walked over back to the other aisle.

The next morning, Alex felt a little bad about screaming at him. She would wake up and apologize, but when she woke up, there was silly string all over her, and a certain someone sitting in the seat across from her giggling. She almost screamed at him, when she saw a camera pointing in her face.

“What the hell?” she said, trying to push it away, it wouldn’t budge.

“Hi! Are you Alex and Crosby Bek?” the cameraman asked. Bek? What kind of last name was that? That’s what Crosby could come up with? Alex would just have to roll with it.

“Yes, sir. That’s us. Can we get off the damn plane before you stick cameras in our faces?” she asked, angrily.

“Uh, yes. Just trying to get some shots in. And please, don’t cuss. It’s a family show.” the man said annoyed.

“It’s not like I have my mic hooked up yet,” she replied and looked down. Are you serious? She thought to see a microphone hooked to her shirt. She gave Crosby a dirty look and giggled at the camera.

“Haha! Well let’s get on with the show!” she said.


It was pretty smooth sailing from there. They both had to act. They got on a bus with the other contestants and rode it to the set of the show! Alex did gag a couple of times when Crosby held her hand but remembered she was on camera. They got to shoot the intro, which was fun, but they were ready to get into the games. Luckily, about an hour later, it was finally time. They all were led to the first game. The director showed us to our places and yelled 3, 2, 1, ACTION!

“Hello, everybody! I’m your host Aaron Sho and welcome to the first episode ever of America’s Next Best Couple! In our first game, couples will have their knees tied together and race! The contestants who win the race, will earn the Newlywed name and get to sleep in the Honeymoon Suite. The Newlyweds will pick one couple to send home. You’ve already met our five couples, so let’s start the game.” the host said. Crosby felt exhilarated, but Alex was nervous. She had never been on television before and she and Crosby were pretending to be a couple. They didn’t have a connection like the others did. As she was thinking a horn was blown and everyone started hobbling to the finish. Surprisingly, she and Crosby were ahead of the others. Some looked like full-blown athletes and the non-couple was still winning! Suddenly, some short bimbo and tall, muscular, beautiful being stole their lead.

“We got this,” Crosby whispered to Alex. Alex knew that Crosby was really smart, but hated to admit it. He was also competitive as hell. And so was she. They both picked up the pace, not falling once, running like they were one person. They passed the bimbo and the really hot guy and finished first! They untied their knees and high-fived. Alex looked at Crosby, happily, which wasn’t a common occurrence. She thought back to all the nice things he’d done for her. Was she starting to like him? No couldn’t happen.

“Congrats, Crosby and Alex! You will be our Newlyweds! Now tell us, are you newlyweds in real life?” Mr. Sho asked. Before Alex could say a word Crosby answered.

“Yes, we are! I hope we’re together forever.” He then dipped Alex and kissed her. He kissed her! For real, not joking. Alex almost pushed him away, but what do you know, she liked it. Crazy! She popped back up after the kiss and smiled. Mr. Sho was about to say something when the director stopped him.

“Everybody, I’m sorry to say, I just got an email from NBC saying we’re canceled. They replaced us with Big Brother. Sorry, everyone. I guess you can all go home.”


Alex and Crosby were so sad. They weren’t going to win a million dollars. Alex looked at Crosby one last time.

"I guess it's over, Crosby." she said.

"Please. I don't want this to be over. I loved you every since I layed my eyes on you. Go out with me?" he pleaded. Alex finally understood. He loved her. She didn't know if she was ready to love him back.

"Fine. One date, but after that, were over."


November 10, 2020 15:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.