Your Favorite Second Option!

Submitted into Contest #53 in response to: Write a story that begins with someone's popsicle melting.... view prompt

19 comments

General

My Popsicle melts and I let it..I don't care. I watch as another drip of the purple flavored falls twice this time in two places. My anger seems to grow with that. "Gah!" I yell throwing the Popsicle far far away. A couple looks at me like I'm crazy.

"What?!" I scream. "Oh what I look crazy to you? Well keep walking sugar plums!"

"Come on honey lets go.." the guy says directing the girl away.

"Don't make me come over there! Cause best believe I will!" I yell at them when they keep side eyeing me. I stuff my hands in my pockets and walk the opposite direction.

My name is Lily Carter, and I'm your favorite second option.

....

Now what is a "Second option" you may be asking yourself right now. Well if your asking yourself that then you probably have never been a second option then, or maybe you have been and never realized it. Anyways, a second option is your second choice, whether it be friend, or clothes, or even a rock! If you have to go to something else because the one you usually choose is not there, then that right there is your second option! and its the cruelest and unfairest thing ever.

Now why am I so mad?; BECAUSE I'VE BEEN THE SECOND CHOICE(or Option) MY WHOLE LIFE DUH! I swear keep asking dumb questions and I might just hit you too. Now listen, nobody really thinks or knows they are a second choice until you truly sit there and think.. "why does my so-called-friend always come to me when her other friend isn't there?" "Why does the teacher always call on me when the other kids doesn't know the answer?", "Why does my parents call me to wash dishes when my other siblings have work?", "I asked for that snack first, so why are you giving that to me now when the other person doesn't want it?" oh and here's my favorite one! "I'm just going to come over here because your smart"

See! Imagine going through this everyday. Being a second option just means people don't really appreciate you, or know, or even care about you until their first choice is gone. Imagine never being noticed until someone leaves?? If your reading this and starting to realize your a second option, then go cry and come join the party later kay?

Many people don't think its a big deal, some of you reading this are probably thinking, I'm crazy, or I'm overreacting. Well then I really feel happy for you because you've never gone through the pain of being the less favorite friend, or being the choice.

Now lets get back to the real story. Why am I so mad today..? Why did I just yell at that ridiculous-but lovely couple walking down the street. Well first let me ask you this, have you ever been the go-to friend, like your friends come to talk to you when their world is crashing down, and they always seem to talk to you when they feel like it, not when you want to. Well I don't want to be the one to tell you this but uh- THAT'S NOT A COMPLIMENT!

Okay..back up. It is..I mean its great knowing your friend trusts you and can always talk to you when they feel down but- have you ever realized that they only ever come to you for that. Nothing more, nothing less. They don't ask about you or anything, but you know when that boyfriend breaks up with them, they are the first ones calling you at 3 o clock in the middle of the night crying. That my friend is another form of-*drum roll* SECOND OPTION, *Woo, CLAP, clap, CLAP*

I am in a friendship with two of my best friends in the whole wide world (yeah, right). But I started noticing that when we had a partner project they would immediately choose each other, leaving me there looking like an idiot. They'd hang out without me, have sleep overs together. But immediately when one slight thing goes wrong they start blowing up my phone (Like what). And when I help them, they go "Oh you are the best, super smart, you are my go-to!" and proceed to leave you alone once more.

When they have homework they ask me for help, separately. And to be honest, I used to feel so proud that they needed me, that they liked me, but no. No I'm not a option, no no I'm their favorite second option. It's truly the worst feeling ever, it makes you feel worthless when you begin to realize it. Everybody claims to need me but who actually wants me. What friend will just talk to you, not because they need anything but just because they want to.

I'm saying this..because I feel like the world needs to understand what being a Second option is, watch what you say to your friends, even if they aren't as special to you as your best friend. Do be careful with your words. Don't make them feel like they are never needed until your first choice leaves. Make them feel special and that goes for family, students, teachers and everyone!

Sometimes we only talk to people so that we can use them. Well sometimes people want to be wanted and needed, they want to show their talents without being under the shadow of someone. If you are a first option reading this and you realize you've done this to one of your friends before, all jokes aside- do apologize, say your sorry and tell them how much they've done for you. Appreciate them. Being a second option can make one feel really stupid and worthless, it makes them feel like people never really care for them unless they have *this* or *that*. To the first options out there! if you realize you actually don't care for this person then just leave! them! alone! Don't ask for homework answers, don't call them your go to. Just go. Thank them for all they've done and LEAVE. It may not seem like the best thing to do..but its better than just using them. Trust me, it is.

And for my Second Options out there! Know your worth, and if you feel like your friend, or anyone in your life doesn't see that. Feel free to punch them in the face and leave (this should be your last resort! Violence is no good). One day, some day, someone will see your worth, but remember you have to know it first! Life is too good to be spending time under someones shadow, GET UP! and run in that sun! You are so much more than a "Second Option." Find someone who wants and needs you..and be sure you want and need them too. Life is a- you have to get what you give. When life isn't like that then it can be unbalanced and that relationship will end up being toxic. A little advice on moving away from the second option disease is- *DRUM ROLL* If you hate yourself then yourself will hate you, now replace the word HATE with LOVE! And there you go.

......

"Hey BESTIES!" I say in the face time call with my two "Bestfriends"

"Hey" Miranda says with a bored expression. "What? Kinda busy.." Alexa replies picking her nails.

"Oh don't worry this will only take a second" I say sitting on my porch. "I hate both of you with a passion-" I say with a smile.

"WhAT" they both yell.

"You both never cared about me, you used me for many things! You woke me up every night for dumb stuff! And when I needed you, yall were never there! You treated me so bad! I cared about both of you and that's why it took so long to tell you this. So I'll say it now- I hate you Miranda, and I hate you Alexa, I hate you because you never saw my worth, and I know I will always be a second option in your eyes" I say rubbing my cheek not wanting the tears to fall.

"Your being stupid but that's nothing new, Lily..your nothing without us." Alexa says.

"Nah that's where your wrong" I say the tears sinking back into my eyeballs. "You dumb #@^% oh and! &@#!) YOU!"- yeah lets fast forward cause this goes on for awhile.

"Oh and one last thing!" I say before hanging up. "Try spreading rumors about me. Just try! No I want you too! Ive got so much anger I need to release and I think I just found the perfect punching bags." I say with laughter when I see them jolt.

"And Alexa? cut off those nasty claws you call nails..please, I'm saying this for your sake? Well that's it! Feel free to delete my number cause I'm blocking you! Yeah-Bye!"

I laugh out loud into the air. Ahh that felt so good!!! Ouu I want to do it again.

"Hey!" a male voice says. I look up..to see Alexa's on and off boyfriend. Mike- Miles? What was his name.

"So.... Alexa broke up with me..! and I need you to help me!" he says with an uneasy look.

"Omg what?" I say getting up. "Anything"

"Can you be my girlfriend..so that I can make her jealous, please Lily..it won't do any harm to us..cause we both know its pretend, so please. And we've been friends since 6th grade so please! Plus I've always thought you were pretty Lily" he says with a charming smile.

What? Who is this dude? I smile. "Yeah of course, if it will make you happy...then why not?" I say with a shy shrug.

"Really! your a life saver-"

And just like that I punch him in the face..and drag him off my lawn. Piece of trash. Can't believe I called them friends.

What the hell?! Who do you think you are!? he screams at me.

"I'm your favorite Second option!" I say with a smile.

"AHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

August 02, 2020 17:35

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

19 comments

This was a super fun story to write- and it is also really different from my usual stories which are visibly deep. I tried making the character a fun and sorta loud spoken, honest person you know when disrespected for too long- which is much like me. This is also deep as well and some of you may relate to it in your own way. But I was totally serious! The Second option 'disease' is real! and if you ever found yourself doing this to one of your friends, I really do hope you apologize, cause it seriously is a cruel thing to do. But anyways d...

Reply

Amany Sayed
02:37 Aug 04, 2020

Honestly, I found this quite deep(you were saying this is different from your other normally deep stories). I sometimes feel like a second option as well as this character...I mostly kept thinking about this one friend that usually just talks to me in our first class, in which she doesn't have any other close friends. It makes me feel kind of sad. In our other classes, she doesn't really talk to me much, even if I try and make the effort... It almost felt real, except the dialogue parts and the actual drama, but it really felt like you were...

Reply

Aww thank you! And I really was trying to give advice but then I realized it was supposed to be story so I decided to add some drama. But I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I really do hope my advice helped you! And I will most definitely go check out yours right now actually

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
ALINA Manha
06:08 Oct 26, 2020

Really beautifully described. I loved the way it was written. I can relate a lot to it. BTW I liked the character's flow of emotions. They are very relatable.

Reply

Thank youuuuu! I'm sorry you could relate to it, cause second option is not fun!

Reply

ALINA Manha
20:24 Oct 26, 2020

My pleasure. 😊 No need to be sorry. πŸ˜‡ I know. πŸ˜”πŸ˜£. It can be very hurting sometimes. 😩

Reply

YeahhhπŸ₯Ί Sooo are ya new?

Reply

ALINA Manha
21:20 Oct 26, 2020

Yes, you can say that. Actually, I joined on May but didn't get time to write due to exams, so now I am writing. So..... I am new. 😁

Reply

Ohhhh! Well Hi! I am Ugochi I joined in July? I think! So happy you decided to come back. I am trying to read your stories right now but I am also busy so...I'll probably get to finish it late.. But HI!

Reply

Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Rambling Beth
08:59 Aug 21, 2020

Lovely. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deborah Angevin
10:57 Aug 06, 2020

A beautifully written story, Ugochi! I'm having fun reading it (especially with the way the dialogues were written). Would you mind reading my recent story out, "(Pink)y Promise"? Thank you :D

Reply

Thank ya so much!😭 I'm glad you enjoyed it! And I totally will check out your stories! Thanks again for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Grace M'mbone
20:40 Aug 05, 2020

I felt this to the end being a second option too. Ugochi this was beautiful, it blinded me totally to the few grammatical errors and punctuation ones. I am just so glad she kicked that guy off her lawn. Brilliant. I am just in love with how her anger finally set her free. I love that you remind the first options how to duel with second options in a humane manner. Every step of the way I was like, "You go girl!" Your creativity is Mwaah😘 It would be an honour if you checked out even one of my stories, really. Ugochi this was beautiful. Please...

Reply

Aw! Thank you so much, I was really scared about writing this one because I felt people wouldn't be able to relate. But all you said just made me super happy..thank you Grace! And I will totally read yours! Thanks again for reading, feel free to read my other stories and give your feedback or critique (If you want of course!) -Ugochi✨*~

Reply

Grace M'mbone
07:42 Aug 06, 2020

I sure will 😁

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.