3 comments

General

* Beck’s Place, 7:00 am *

“I GOT A FEELING….

THAT TONIGHT’S GONNA BE 

A GOOD NIGHT”

She whipped out of bed with such a swiftness that only comes from true desperation. Before one more word could be said by the Black Eyed Peas she had promptly turned off the alarm and leapt back into her bed. Covers up over her ears as she curled into fetal position. 

It was too damn early. 

She’d almost passed out once again before the Black Eyed Peas made their second attempt to serenade her on this fine Sunday morning. 

This time, with a bit more sluggishness, she was back out of bed and on her phone once again. She knew she couldn’t afford to hit snooze a second time, nor could her ears possibly take a third round of the Black Eyed Peas at full volume. 

She beelined for the kitchen, her favourite kitten-shaped mug was waiting to be filled with hot, fresh, life-inducing coffee. 

It was too damn early.

* Tyler’s Place, 7:00 am *

The morning light filtered through the window blinds while bird song filled the room. Tyler’s eyes flickered open naturally. With a stretch and a yawn he was out of bed. Alarms are for the weak.

3 sets of pushups followed by 3 sets of dumbbell lifts were completed. He might even have time for another chapter of When Nitzche Wept before it would be time to head out.

* Beck’s Place, 7:45 am *

Where, exactly, does time go? Where does one hour go in the mornings? Beck may never know the answer to this question. No matter how early she wakes, the time manages to disappear.

She knew she was late before she checked the time. Tummy rumbles were incentive enough to get moving, but more importantly, Ty was definitely going to comment. 

“You sure you wanna make such an early date?” He’d questioned her, skeptical. 

“Yes yes, it’s no problem I swear, you’ve been wanting to try this spot for ages. I’d rather wake early than wait 2 hours for pancakes.” So they’d made the plan.

And here she was, still in her fluffy bunny pyjamas puzzling over what to wear. The audiobook version of When Nitzche Wept could be heard in the background- she had to get an extra chapter in somehow. On her bed sat three arguably identical hoodies save for the different pastel shades, blue, lilac, blush. 

A few minutes later, blush hoodie donned, she had a new dilemma.

* Ty’s Place, 7:45 am *

A last glance in the mirror reveals a sharply dressed man with luscious locks held in place by by an unnoticeable hair mousse. This was a man ready for brunch. 

He’d been prepared to take transit, but something told him- a hunch if you will- something told him he should consider taking the car. Sure, he may have to pay for parking, but there is a very slim chance Beck will make the bus.

* Beck’s Place, 8:00 am *

To sloppily attempt makeup or not to bother at all, that was the question. But even with a last minute attempt it could still have a significant effect on her eye bags, which had a direct correlation with how grumpy she may appear. 

Her conundrum was interrupted by a new alarm, this time featuring the late and great George Michael, with the label 

- YOU HAVE TO LEAVE, NOW!!!! 

This was the You Need To Actually Be On Time One Of These Days alarm. 

Ugh. She wanted to at least appear like she was radiating sunshine even if she was a ~few~ minutes late. At least concealer and mascara would do. 

She packed her small backpack, which isn’t used for school but mostly for weekend adventures, and sprinted out the door. 

* A drive-thru a neighbourhood away, 8:00 am *

“Good morning, I would like one small black coffee and a small hot chocolate”

A few minutes to spare earned Ty an extra pre-brunch coffee. He was taking his time, he liked to live life free of rush. Not that he ever needed to rush with Beck in the picture, he would never understand how she managed to consistently run so late. He also knew that as soon as she saw him she would also break into a smile so big that he’d instantly forgive her (well, almost).

A glance out the window revealed a warm, sunny day. The drive-thru was relatively empty, a couple of SUVs filled with visiting families getting ready for a drive home and that was about it. It was damn early after all.

* The bus stop outside of Beck’ apartment, 8:15 am *

First bus missed, second one coming in 15 minutes. 

Angsty and restless, Beck walked the next three stops as she waited for the bus. She could feel her phone buzzing in her pocket.

“Babe I swear I’m so close I just missed a bus.” She pouted. 

“Don’t worry about it” She could almost hear the eyeroll on the other end of the line “What block are you on?”

She glances at the nearest street sign nervously “Waterloo St.”

“Are you actually? Wait I see you”

A grey Volvo pulls up beside Beck. 

* Ty’s Car, 8:20 am *

“Waterloo isn’t for another 3 blocks” He smirked. He’d expected her to be at least another 10 minutes later, the plan had been to pick her up from home. Clearly a valiant effort had actually been made to achieve something close to punctuality. 

A look of embarrassment was soon replaced by a look of relief that swept her face when she spotted the hot chocolate nestled in the passenger beverage compartment.

“Hot chocolate!! Baabe” She beamed. It’s that smile. 

“This is the plan of action,” he started, “we’re gonna drive past Speedy’s Dashing Diner, you’re going to hop out and put your name down, by some miracle I will find a temporary place of rest for my vehicle, and I will join you at the door.”

Speedy’s Dashing Diner had been featured in Eater, it had been visited by Guy Fieri, and it was recommended on several Reddit forums. Speedy’s opened at 8:30 am, and by 9:00 there was almost guaranteed to be a lineup worth at least a 1 hour wait. 

“Ok, I’ve got my game face on,” Beck looked pumped. 

They rounded the corner, he slowed down past Speedy’s and she vaulted out the vehicle. 

  • Speedy’s Lineup 8:35 am *

Beck watched Tyler stroll casually past the growing line up. She was about three groups from the front. 

“They invited the first batch of customers in after opening” she informed “it’ll probably be a good half hour, but I did come prepared. She dug into her bag for a Tupperware of chocolate mini muffins. “A just-in-case-I’m-super-late-and-we-have-to-wait-an-hour precaution.” She said sheepishly. 

He laughed and brought her in for a side-hug complete with a little peck on the forehead. Somehow they’d managed to adapt to each others habits. They were ready for brunch. 

July 11, 2020 02:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Kristy Reynolds
00:46 Jul 16, 2020

Cute story. I like the character of Beck, she seems quirky and fun. This was a nice little peak into their lives.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristy Reynolds
00:46 Jul 16, 2020

Cute story. I like the character of Beck, she seems quirky and fun. This was a nice little peak into their lives.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Kristy Reynolds
00:46 Jul 16, 2020

Cute story. I like the character of Beck, she seems quirky and fun. This was a nice little peak into their lives.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.