0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

          There was the usual strain to get on the train at once. Shoulder to shoulder we pushed our way into the crowd. All the seats were taken with commuters, so I hung on to the bar and tried not to bump anyone as the train took off. My new shoes were already starting to hurt, but I needed to look my best for this interview.

           “I am confident,” I said to myself, as I tried to psych myself up. “I can do this.” I wished I’d brought my earphones, so I could listen to my affirmations, instead of the rush of the metro and chatty commuters.

           It had been so long since I’d held a job. It felt surreal, but with Denny gone, I didn’t have a choice. There were limited finances since he left. I had to think of Kit now, and she wasn’t happy to be left with a sitter this morning. She was used to having me all to herself. Life was about to really change for us. And I was terrified. How would I ever manage on my own?

           The train whooshed to a stop and let off a stream of people, so I was able to grab a seat. I rubbed my sore foot and took out my resume. It was an entry level job, but I’d been a homemaker for the last six years, in addition to selling my jewelry part time. I was creative, but that didn’t bode well in the working world. Now I longed for a more practical degree than art.

           “Can you come tonight for dinner?” My sister, Tracey texted. “I miss you and Kit. I have news.”

           “Sounds like fun,” I texted back. Brunswick was in the opposite direction of where I was headed. It was out of the way, but it’d be a nice drive, I decided, especially after today.

          Suddenly the train doors opened at my stop. I took a deep breath and swallowed down my nerves. Immediately I was engulfed by a surge of commuters heading for the exit, moving forward as one.

By the time I found the building, I only had a few minutes to spare. It was now or never, I told myself as I swung open the door and entered.

An hour later, I was sitting by the fountain in front of the building wondering what had happened. The soothing sound of water did little to assuage my worries. 

           I’d never been on a group interview before and the questions were so drab and unoriginal, I could hardly come up with a satisfying reply. I knew I hadn’t stood out.

           How could I salvage this day? Deciding I could take Kit to the playground, I headed back to the metro. The morning rush had thinned, so I was back to my stop in no time. I really didn’t love the city life. I couldn’t wait to get out in the country and see Tracey and the kids.

           At the playground, I watched Kit go back and forth on the swing, her blonde hair flying behind her. She’d been so happy to see me, how would I be able to leave her every day?

           As I sipped my diet coke, I replayed the interview over and over. I felt like an idiot. I was so out of touch with the working world. I felt so much better in my jeans and sneakers, with my hair in a messy bun. What was I going to do? I was back at square one.

           “Come on, Kit!” I called, as she flew down a slide. “I have a surprise?”

           “What is it?” she demanded, as we headed for the car.

           “You’ll see, but you have to be patient,” I reminded her. 

           “Oh, Mommy,” Kit frowned. “I hate being patient,” she declared, deadpan.

           Tessy laughed out loud. “Well, let’s practice. It takes an hour to get there.”

           As soon as they were out of the city and heading north, Tessy felt herself relax. It was a beautiful spring evening and with the windows cracked she could smell cut grass and honeysuckle. It was a comforting feeling, reminding her of her childhood and easier times.

           Soon they passed fields of cattle grazing and quaint farms. Tessy wished her sister didn’t live so far out. She could really use her right now. But Tracey and Mike had found their dream house with rolling hills and trees on the horizon.

           “Aunt Tracey’s!” Kit squealed, when she recognized the long, gravel driveway.

           Kit bounced in the backseat with excitement. Tessy loved seeing her so happy. It had been a rough few months with her Dad gone.

           Tess tooted the horn as Tracey and the kids ran out to greet them. The house was a sprawling mansion compared to Tessy’s modest townhouse. The brick colonial had large white columns standing sentry in the front.

           Kit immediately ran off with her cousins to the backyard swing set.

           “Hey, Sis,” Tracey said, giving her little sister a hug. “It’s been too long. Come on. We’re grilling tonight. Mike has his chefs’ hat on.”

           When they got to the backyard, Tessy kicked off her shoes and let her bare feet sink into the thick, spongey grass. “Oh, it’s so beautiful,” she gushed, plopping into a chair by the fire pit. All you could see was meadows with a house here and there. So much more room. Tess took a deep breath and released the last of her worries.

           “I made us cocktails,” Tracey said. “We’re celebrating tonight,” she informed Tessy.

           “Not my job,” Tessy made a face. “It didn’t go well.”

           “I’m sorry,” Tracey said, handing her a drink. Trace was excited about something, Tessy could tell.

           “Ok, spill. What is your news?” Tessy took the bait.

           “I quit my job!”

           “You love teaching. Why did you quit?”

           “I hate all the red tape involved and they’re changing the curriculum. Again.”

           “What are you going to do now?” Tessy knew Mike had a good job, but this was a big house, and even though it was cheaper to live out here, the mortgage had to be substantial.

           “We’re going to start a school,” Tracey said, pausing for effect.

           “You and Mike?” Tessy asked, surprised.

           “No, silly. You and me!”

           “But I live an hour away,” she pointed out. 

           “Right now, you do, but if you move out here it’s cheaper to live and we can work together. You’ll be able to do your art?” Tracey persuaded. “Look at the kids,” she said, as they ran around free. “They could be together all the time, and so, could we?”

           When Tessy didn’t respond at first but watched the late afternoon sun hovering over the horizon like a big, orange disk, Tracey continued.

           “You can stay with us as long as you need to save up money. We’ve got plenty of room, but I did find a cute, little bungalow for rent in town. It needs a little love, but it has loads of charm.”

           Tessy took a large sip of her drink. What would it feel like to live out here all the time? To have this view every night and the freedom to be with Kit? “I don’t know why it took us so long to figure this out,” she answered with a huge grin.

           “Cheers to new adventures!” Tracey clinked her glass.

           “I’ll drink to that!” Tessy said, still scared but feeling hopeful for the first time in months.

April 22, 2021 20:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.