The Kindness of Strangers

Submitted into Contest #96 in response to: Write about a character who has to rely on the hospitality of strangers.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Inspirational

Jennifer Wynn lost her husband Gavin in a gas explosion at the Kotobee mine in Burkesville, Alabama. She and her three children were in desperate need of help. Gavin was the sold breadwinner of the family. Jennifer had to leave her job to take care of their special needs daughter Reagan. The family had moved from their hometown of Trenton Kentucky to Alabama because of Gavin's job at the coal mine. They hadn't been in Burkesville a year before Gavin passed. Jennifer didn't know any of her neighbors in the small neighborhood. The family was barely getting by on her daughter's social security and Gavin's death benefits which were running out fast with the bills and other expenses. One morning while Jennifer was cooking breakfast for the children, there was a knock on the front door. She looked out through the living room curtain and saw several ladies standing at the door. Jennifer opened up the door to see all three ladies standing there with bags of groceries for her and her kids. The ladies introduced themselves as Joan Roundtree, Barbara Jones, and Mildred Oldshoe.

"How are you my dear?" said Joan.

"I'm making it," said Jennifer.

"We thought you might need a few things," said Mildred.

"Yes we do," said Jennifer. "Thank you all so much."

"It's our pleasure hon," said Barbara.

The ladies were all members of the St. Mark Episcopal Church in town. Jennifer offered the ladies to have a seat. They told Jennifer about their church food pantry that was offered through their church every other Wednesday and if she would be interested. 

"Yes we're very interested," said Jennifer. "We can use any help we can get."

Joan handed Jennifer a form from a folder she held in her hand. Jennifer filled out the form as the ladies looked on. They invited Jennifer to Sunday services and Bible study on Wednesday nights. She assured the ladies they would be at Sunday service early that morning. The ladies took the application and left Jennifer's house. She was brought to tears at the generosity the ladies had shown by bringing her family much-needed supplies to get them through the next couple of weeks. When Sunday service came around, Jennifer kept her promise to the ladies of the church. She and the children were there sitting in the front pews of the church. After service, she met Pastor Bush and he invited them to stay for Sunday supper served at the church every Sunday. The ladies of the church made-to-go plates for Jennifer and her children to take home. Jennifer took the four plates and put them inside her car. Before she could start her car for home, Joan came out to talk to her.

"Do you know how to use a computer?" asked Joan.

"Yes I know-how," said Jennifer.

"My secretary is on vacation," said Joan. "Would you like to work for me?".

"I'd love to," said Jennifer.

"I'll send some papers over first thing in the morning," said Joan.

"Thank you so much," said Jennifer.

Joan had a small cosmetic business that she ran from her house. Most of the ladies of the church were entrepreneurs. Jennifer was excited about having a job. Burkesville is a friendly small family-oriented town but the cost of living was expensive. On Monday morning, Joan brought over the papers for Jennifer to file on the computer. She only needed Jennifer to work for her three days out of the week. The job was really easy and it took her no time at all to complete the work. The kids were out of school for the summer. There was a neighborhood playground where the kids could go play on the swings, slides, and merry-go-rounds. Jennifer got the mail from her mailbox and walked her children to the playground. The boys ran and played while little Reagan sat in her wheelchair asleep. Jennifer began to tear open a letter that looked like it came from a lawyer's office. She started to read the letter which stated a wrongful death lawsuit was being filed against Kotobee coal mine on behalf of the family of the thirty-nine coal miners who tragically lost their lives in the mining accident. There was a number listed in the letter to contact Mr. Wayman Fitzgerald. Jennifer took her cell phone out of her pocket and called the number. A lady answered and took down Jennifer's information. She said that lawyer would be getting back in touch with Jennifer in the morning. It was getting late in the evening and the mosquitoes were starting to buzz around. Jennifer got her kids and took them back to the house. The children sat down on the sofa and watched cartoons while Jennifer warmed up leftover spaghetti for them to eat. After the meal was over, she made them brush their teeth and get ready for bed. The next morning Jennifer got up and put on the coffee. The children were in the bed still asleep. Jennifer turned on the morning news. Before she could sit down on the sofa the phone rang. It was the lawyer Mr. Fitzgerald.

"Good morning Mrs. Wynn," said Mr. Fitzgerald.

"Good morning, " said Jennifer.

"Do you have a few minutes to talk?" asked Mr. Fitzgerald.

"Yes I do," said Jennifer.

Mr. Fitzgerald told her about the wrongful death lawsuit and how she is entitled along with the other families of the mining workers to collect an undisclosed amount of funds. The money will be distributed to the families by check in about one week. He gave Jennifer his office address and the time she would need to be there to collect her check. This would be a much-needed blessing for Jennifer and the children. When Jennifer received her check, she decided to give the church a donation. The people in the church had helped her and her children so much that she wanted to give something back. The food pantry was the lifeline of the church. Jennifer knew that there was another family in need and she wanted to do her part to help as she was helped in her time of need. Jennifer and her children joined the church that year. She was put in charge of the food distribution at the church, she goes door to door within the community delivering food to all people in need.

June 01, 2021 04:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.