0 comments

Contemporary Urban Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

"I hate government buildings."

"Maybe if you didn't lose your cards so many times, you'd spend less time in them." I didn't even answer, I just glared at her. She smiled and started to quicken her pace, brushing off my death-stare. I let out a sigh and followed. We entered the bottom of the giant glass building, welcomed by an enormous open space. Even though it had plenty of light and nothing intimidating (it was mostly empty, except for the receptionists’ desk and some couches), I somehow felt out of place and foreign. The cold air instantly hit me, it felt nice after the blazing heat outside, but it did not help me feel more at home. Then there were the people, all distant and judging. I knew, rationally, that my assumptions were way off and more stereotypical than based on experience, but no matter how many times I promise to change my views, I see one of them with their gelled back hair, chin out, looking down on everyone and I go back to my ways. Judging because I feel judged, distancing myself because other’s also pushed me away.

“Hey, it’s almost our number.” Leave it up to Apple to always be positive, even when she is forced to spend a full day waiting in a glass box just so she can listen to me get chastised. Our number was 26 and we were at 10, not what I would call close. We decided to play the usual game people play when they have nothing to do but stare at others. We tried to invent crazy backstories for the snobs in suits. I was searching for my next prey, when I saw someone: a guy standing in the corner, tapping on his phone, looking very bored, maybe waiting for someone. He seemed so familiar, I searched through my memories, but none of them had even just a hint of him. Then I realised. I’ve seen him several times all right, but never in reality… he appeared in my dreams. I don’t know how I recognised him, since like most people I don’t remember my dreams in much detail, the faces are hazy, the story isn’t chronological or rational. I thought it even less possible for me to identify a face, as most characters are only a ball of feelings without a physical body. Just like that it clicked, it wasn’t his appearance that grabbed my attention, it was his vibes. How I could tell what vibes were coming from him without any words or even a closer look, I don’t know. Before I could dive deeper into my memories of him, Apple elbowed me.

“Lena, don’t gawk!” She warned. I looked away, but I felt myself being pulled towards him. Not like in the movies, where this supposed pull is usually just attraction, I, on the other hand, felt like I was being physically dragged. I had to work hard against it, I clenched all my muscles, held onto the couch and tried to think of something else. Apple stared at me like I was crazy, I followed her gaze and saw why. My knuckles were white from the clinging, my legs were shaking from the effort of keeping them still, I couldn’t even start to imagine how my face would look like scrunched up in concentration.

“Are you okay?” The question in itself was said with such a tone, that I knew my true answer would get me an appointment with a psychiatrist, so to solve two problems at once I replied three small words:

“Be right back.” I stood up and let the force take lead. He must be doing something very important because he didn’t even glance up as I approached. I started to doubt myself, I wanted to turn back, to sit down, I’d rather have my friend think me crazy than embarrass myself in front of this stranger. Unfortunately, the closer I got the harder it was to leave, by the time I was sure I didn’t want to disturb him, it was too late. Two steps later I was in front of him, still, he didn’t look up. I just stood there awkwardly for a few seconds. I couldn’t feel the pull anymore, so I hoped maybe I was free. I tried to move away. That’s when I felt how present the force actually was, I couldn’t move an inch, as if my feet were glued to the ground. But my unsuccessful tries did get his attention. His eyes widened in surprise, then frowned.

“Do you need help?” I almost replied with a yes but realised how stupid it would sound for me to ask him to help me get back to my seat. I glanced back and saw Apple feverishly signalling for me to come back. I checked the numbers: 23. I need to get back to the freakin’ couch.

“Uhm…” I’m drawn to him, so maybe if he comes with me, I’ll be able to move. “Would you walk with me?”

“Excuse me?” Yeah, probably the correct response to a strange woman asking you to go with her. I glanced at Apple, who was furious, she was ready to march up to me drag me back. Would that work? “I think you should get back to your friend; she seems… upset.”

“She thinks you’re cute. Would you mind talking to her for a few minutes? She’s a wonderful person, who sacrificed her day for her careless friend. Please.” Please work, please work.

“Okay.” He was wary I could tell. He was also very slow. Our number was up, Apple started walking toward the counter, so we changed our course. I hurried him a bit, but we got there in time for me to give them my papers. As I was conversing with the helpful lady, I heard Apple ask: “How do you know Lena?” I didn’t hear the answer but judging by how my legs still didn’t want to move, I guessed he stayed, even after realising I lied. What will I do if he leaves? Can I not follow him? Up until now, I never felt this force, so maybe if I put enough distance between us, the bond will break. The question is how to get away. How to leave when I can’t even move? I was dreading the moment we had to leave, yet it was already upon me.

“Have a nice day, miss!”

“Thank you, you too!” Thankfully Apple and my anchor started walking away as well. How long will he stay by our side? What should I say for him to stay longer? How long can I keep him? What if I told him? He’d think I’m crazy and leave.

As we came close to the door I felt his awkwardness, he had something to do here I guessed. Apple being a sweetheart released him:

“It was great getting to know you, good luck with your meeting.” She took hold of my hand and started walking, I couldn’t. She pulled on my hand, then gave me a frown. “I thought you hated this place.”

“I need to talk to you,” I said to the man, who hasn’t left. Why didn’t he? Was he drawn to me too? No, probably not, he didn’t look like he needed to cling to the wall to keep away. So why not go to his meeting?

“Okay.” He was suspiciously fine with talking to the stranger, who lied to him and couldn’t leave him alone. Apple gaped at me in disbelief.

“I’ll be right back, promise.” I let go of her hand and pushed the guy into a quiet corner. “You’re gonna think I’m crazy, but I’m drawn to you. I literally can’t leave you.” I took a pause. Maybe let’s see how reacts to this, then we’ll add in that I actually dreamt of him several times.

“I thought I had more time… Your dreams seemed to be just fine…” He replied. I just stared at him, my brain going into overload. I could almost see the little hourglass next to the cursor on the home page of my mind. He glanced at me, reached out and closed my mouth. “Want to get a coffee? This will be a long talk.” 

July 20, 2021 10:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.