3 comments

Fiction Sad

"Where is my necklace? It's not here," Zara yelled, standing in front of the vanity.


"Perhaps it's in the almirah," remarked Bruce.


"I hope so!"


Zara opened the almirah and rummaged through all shelves, but her attempts were futile. Suddenly someone rapped the door. Bruce went and opened the door and saw their butler standing with a tray of two teacups.


"Here you go, master," the butler said.


Before Bruce could take the tray, Zara shoved him aside, snatched the tray, and hurled it down; the tray and the teacups got shattered into pieces.


"Scoundrel!" she exclaimed and smacked the butler in the face.


"Here is your thief, Bruce!" Zara yelled.


"What! Are you serious?" remarked Bruce.


"Yes, Bruce."


Poor butler said nothing but stood shuddering, and furious Bruce glared at him. Meanwhile, Alfred came out of his room. He was startled to know that their butler, who had been working for fourteen years, turned out to be a thief! On seeing Alfred, the butler broke into tears, fell at his feet.


"Master, I haven't done anything, master!" he yelled.


Giving the butler the cold shoulder, Alfred went to Zara and said, "If he's your criminal, you have the right to punish him.".


Immediately Zara held him by the wrist, heaved him out of the house.


"You have burnt bridges," Zara shouted and slammed the door on the accused's face.


*


The epitome of poverty was walking along the road fringed by palm trees. Stoicism and neglect had pauperized him not just financially but also mentally. Being overtaken by fatigue, he took shelter under a palm tree. He had a small bag from which he took out a canteen, and on opening it, found that he had run out of water. He looked around in vain for a water source. The blazing sun hanging on the horizon bespoke that an end is also a new beginning; still, his cheeks got flooded with the tears of despair when no spark of hope seemed to lit up his life dominated by the gloom of desperation. He took out his handkerchief and wiped off his tears; unfortunately, there is no handkerchief to wipe off the hardships, which prevail in his life. Despite being exhausted, he stood up and continued his journey on seeing evening looming.


*


The old, wrinkled hand picked up the ringing telephone.


"Hello?"


"Hey, grandpa! Mom and dad not at home; I thought this is the best time to ring you up. Grandpa, why are you weeping?"


"Nothing Liza."


"Argh! Don't cry. Your Liza won't eat anything today if you don't stop crying. I promise you, grandpa, I will bring you back from Old folks home when I grow up."


Suddenly then the door creaked, and Liza dashed the handset and ran off.


"At least my grandson has not become like Bruce," said Alfred to himself.


His body was resting on the upholstery; his eyes were gazing at the setting sun. The fragile legs cannot sustain the immense burden of miseries. He's now seventy-two, the age when a person wants nothing but the intimacy and warmth of family; he had been deprived of familial love and connections. Silent tears ran down the cheeks of nostalgic Alfred. The good old days when life was unaware of approaching afflictions. He had mistaken that good old days would continue forever.


"Had I been more pessimistic, I would not have been impotent now," he said, grimly smiling at the sun through the narrow window.


Suddenly, someone very familiar passed by the window, who made his eyes pop. He rushed to the window, placed his hands on the window sill, craned his neck, and hailed the passerby.


The wayfarer turned round and was stupefied on seeing Alfred. He approached the window, overwhelmed by joy. His ecstasy soon appeased when bitter memories began creeping in.


"Pardon me, James," said Alfred pathetically.


"Why?" replied James curtly.


"Pardon me. Despite being faultless, you were punished. It's all my fault."


"Really, master? Really? Really do you believe that I hadn't stolen the necklace?"


"There's nothing to believe. After some days, Zara was seen wearing the necklace. On asking, she replied that she found it from a corner of the room. Then I searched in vain for you in the whole city."


"My dad passed away soon after my expulsion; we shifted to another city."


"I am so sorry to hear that. I am responsible for all that happened to you and your family. Now I am getting the taste of my own medicine. Anyways, what are you up to?


"Jobless. My mom is very sick; she has a brain tumor. The doctor said fourteen hundred dollar is required for the operation. I have decided to sell our old land for her treatment, and luckily I got a person who wills to buy our land. I am going to his house," replied James sobbingly.


Alfred looked stunned at his reply. 


"Wait for some minutes," Alfred remarked and went in.


After going in, he pondered over the matter. "I have three sons, one in London; one in the USA; and one in Canada. Sadly no one cares for me, but this boy! His mother is lucky to have such a child. No! I don't want any son but someone who will value me. Moreover, I am liable for all that happened to him and his family. I must compensate."


Meanwhile, James was standing on the road awaiting his old master. The door opened with a creak, and Alfred, clothed in a white shirt, grey trousers, and an overcoat, appeared. He went up to James, held him by the wrist, and heaved him to the nearest ATM.


In ATM, Alfred took his debit card out and swiped it. 


"Can I go, master? I am getting late," asked James.


"No, wait," replied Alfred.


"But, why do you need me?"


"Just wait."


Presently $1500 came out through cash dispenser. Alfred picked it up and gave it to James.


"What! But why?" James yelled.


"For your mom's operation. You have no need to sell your old land."


"But master, why are you helping me?"


"To compensate. You are far better than my own sons. We are not of the same blood, but still, I can see a true son in you."


James broke into tears and was about to fall at Alfred's feet, but the latter prevented him and embraced him. Ecstatic James expressed his gratitude with more tears than words. Then they both came out of ATM and parted ways.


*


A couple of months elapsed. One day Alfred heard a knock on the main door. 


"Who?" questioned Alfred.


"James, master," the voice from outside replied.


"Come in."


James opened the door and came in. He was grinning.


"The operation was successful, master," He said gleefully.


Alfred became exultant at his words.


"Nice to hear that," remarked Alfred.


"So, let's go."


"Where?"


"Why? My home."


Alfred seemed perplexed.


"Do you think I will let you suffer here? You have to come with me."


Presently the main door closed behind them, and they started off on their way to James' home. The blazing sun on the horizon seemed more elated than ever, and its tender sunlight lit the faces of the two wayfarers, a new dad hand in hand with a new son, heading to a new life.

February 05, 2021 19:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Eric E
04:42 Feb 11, 2021

Wow! An excellent job for your first story. Great character development and plot. Loved the twist. However, what I liked most was the paragraph beginning with "The epitome of poverty..." That was some spectacular writing there! The whole thing was good, but I was very impressed with that paragraph in particular. Well done!

Reply

06:47 Feb 11, 2021

Thanks a lot 😊😊😊

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:45 Feb 08, 2021

I am very happy to sumbit my first story on reedsy. Thanks a lot.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.