0 comments

Fiction

Last night, I had a dream. Not a normal weird dream, but one with total body control and a thought process. That alone should warn everyone this is a weird story. So I was in my school, and I was leaving science, which was weird because I was a new kid and had only seen my school once. This guy walks up to me and introduces himself as Nathaniel Ramirez. He asked to talk with me so I stepped to the side. He grabbed my arm and told me he needed my help. I struggled to get away, but we dissolved into shadows. After what felt like an eternity, we reappeared on a sidewalk. I looked around, and saw we were in a city, but in the sky! Everything was all coppery and gear covered, steampunk. I was amazed but Nathaniel snapped me to attention. He pulled me to an alley, and explained his situation. All of our leaders and generals were under a spell, cast by an evil warlock. “I was spared because I was away from the city, getting a few things to use for my projects.” The spell wasn’t obvious, until he gave a command. Then the minion would try to obey, no matter what. He told me he needed me to help him. Then a fog started to drift in as he shouted “See you soon!” Then the fog enveloped everything and I woke to the sound of my alarm meowing. I slapped the button and pulled on some clothing, while pondering my dream. I wolfed down my breakfast, and raced to the bus stop. I was early, so the stop was essentially devoid of teens. A few adults rushed past, but the first kid showed up a few minutes from pickup time. He wore a pine green hoodie, with earbuds put in, probably listening to music or a podcast. A few more kids trickled in, and the rusted yellow bus creaked to a stop in front of us. I slipped into my usual seat in the front, but another girl plopped into the other spot. She looked unhappy, but I couldn’t see why she would be. Her hair was a gorgeous blond, like golden waterfalls, her skin was perfectly tanned, and her makeup perfectly applied to suit her. Her shoes alone probably cost a million dollars. She twirled her hair while chewing gum and staring at her billion dollar phone. I sighed. She must be that girl. The queen bee, the most popular girl in the school. I just pulled out my book and flipped to my chapter.  Miss Social Butterfly looked up and drawled “Oh, hi. You're new, judging by your outfit and hair, so hi. I’m Mica, the prettiest girl in Hawkins High. Don’t mess with me and we’ll be BFFs. don’t even think about the boy in the back seat, because he’s mine.” And with that she sunk to her phone. Okay. The day went pretty well, until science. I walked out, a small point of shyness in this sea of loud and excited. A boy was leaning next to my locker as I struggled to open it. I swear it hated me and was plotting to eat my stuff. The boy asked me if I needed help, so I stepped aside. He sounded familiar, but I was too relieved to notice/care. He hit a few places and opened it. I almost tackled him, but I restrained myself. He introduced himself as Nathaniel Ramirez. Hm. Ramirez? Wait a minute, it was the boy from my dream! I pulled him into an empty classroom and demanded answers. He smiled and grabbed my arm. We dissolved for another eternity, and rematerialized in the steampunk city. It was way cooler in real life. I turned on Nathaniel. “Hold on. Is this another dream?” He reached over and gently pinched me. Ow! Nope. Not a dream. He whispered “Follow me. We need to get somewhere safe.” With that, he darted through the busy streets, with me trying to follow. We arrived at a copper apartment complex. Or was it a lab? It’s hard to tell. He flew up the stairs, past the first and second floor, and through the third floor door. I raced right behind him, and promptly tripped on a thing. I managed not to fall, then straightened up to take the room in. It was pretty homey, with a small table, a chair, and a small kitchen. A door must have led to the bedroom. A chair faced a small coffee table, which sat by a fireplace. All around was bronze or brass or gold metal bits, or even a half finished creature with wires exploding out of hatches. Another door, a metal one covered on spinning cogs, must lead to a workshop. I slumped onto the couch. All the running made my legs feel like jelly. Nathaniel looked unfazed, calmly pouring a drink in a pair of copper cups. I managed to wheeze “Where are we?” He calmly replied “My apartment.” He turned around and offered me a cup. I took a tentative sip, and found it tasted like cinnamon and chocolate. I eagerly sipped the drink while Nathaniel explained. “I needed you to help me break the spell. An outsider, who thinks like a true inventor. With your help, we can confront the warlock and save Steampunk City.” I was in. “What’s the plan?” He hung his head and and muttered “I haven’t thought of that went.” Crud. No plan, and a team consisting of a boy who can work wires and circuits, and a girl that has no redeeming social skills and a knack for writing. Look out, warlock! I muttered “Could you have brought me when you had a plan?” He sat up and said with as much dignity as he could, “I don’t do plans. I go where my inspiration leads me.” Which sounds like me, writing what strikes me as interesting. “And we have all sorts of gadgets to use. So are you in?” With a second of soul searching I nodded. What could go wrong? (The correct answer? Everything.)

July 17, 2021 21:04

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.