0 comments

Bedtime Adventure Friendship

Henry woke at the crack of dawn, stretched and ate breakfast. His mother came to sit beside him. “so how school going?” His mother asked. “Oh the usual.” Henry said. “Tell me was there anything special?” His mother asked Henry. “Nothing” Henry said. “Really?” His Mother asked. Suddenly a siren blared a long note and an emergency notification appeared on his mother’s phone: Air raid incoming. Go to the nearest shelter. If you cannot get to one take cover under a table and stay away from the windows. “Well that’s something new.” Henry joked. “Now is not the time for jokes.” His mother stated “now get on the car!” His mother said. he needed to help the nation. It was then that he knew he had to join the fight. The car stopped and his mother shoved him into the dark bunker closing the door behind him. “Now duck and cover!” His mother shouted at Henry worry in her eyes. Henry crouched and covered his head his mother did the same along with lots of others the bunker was crowded. A loud boom echoed through the bunker followed by several more the ground shook and the lights flickered. Then a loud crash of toppling infrastructure that shook the bunker. They stayed in the bunker until a notification was sent that it was safe to leave. As they stepped out of the bunker they saw the damage they stepped over rubble and saw countless bulletholes in buildings like a slice of Swiss cheese. Now Henry was certain that he needed to join the army. “Mom I want to join the army.” Henry said. “WHAT? No my dear you are staying with me.” His mother said. “Mom I need to help the nation I need to help win this war.” Henry said “I want to help.” The next day Henry found himself signing up for the military. His mom like it or not had to agree her son’s determination was just too much for her. As they ate dinner together Henry thought of what great things he could do in the military while his mom thought of the dangers he would face. As the days passed his mothers fear grew more and more and Henry’s excitement grew and grew. When the day the day finally came for Henry to leave for military training Henry was ecstatic his mom was not when the bus came. “Do you really have to join?” His mom asked she knew the answer was going to be yes. It was. “Mom I need to help and not be a helpless baby anymore.” Henry said. Then he got on the bus. “Bye mom.” He said as he sat down. His mom waved goodbye tears streaming down her cheeks. She waved and waved until he was too far to see. Henry rode the bus as it stopped at the next station another boy came onto the bus he was about the same age as him and had brown hair “hey I’m Jeff” said the new kid. “Hello Jeff.” Said Henry. They stayed quiet for a while. “Hey Jeff.” Henry said. “Hey Henry.” Jeff said. “Why did you decide to join?” Henry asked. “Mom made me join.” Jeff said. “I decided myself” Henry said. “Wow you must be determined then” Jeff said. “We have arrived now get off!” A gruff voice shouted from the front of the bus. Henry and Jeff obeyed. As soon as they got off the bus blasted away. “Wow that’s guy really was the worst!” Henry said. “Yeah he was.” Jeff said. They were greeted by a soldier who lead them to a room filled with teenagers this is where you will take the test he said and guided Henry to a half walled room and guided Jeff to some where else. He was handed a piece of paper a pen and a test sheet. “You have thirty minutes to complete this test.” A man in a military uniform said. The man walked away and Henry was left alone he felt the pressure on him to complete this task. Thirty minutes later the same man who had spoken to him before came and took his test, pen and paper. He was led into a waiting room and sat down in a chair time seemed to slow and it felt like hours and hours. When a man finally arrived it felt like a million years had passed since he had arrived in this waiting room. “Congratulations you have passed the test and training will initiate shortly.” An officer said as another guided him to another building. He sat down in a chair in another waiting room he waited and waited and waited and waited at last he was guided into gym were he did countless pushups, pull-ups and lifted weights after the seemingly never ending training his body was aching and he was out of breath. He was handed a heavy bag and a woman said “your next set of training will initiate next morning.” And with that he was led to a huge grass field a the officers left him alone. Henry thought to him self “ where am I supposed to sleep?” He looked around and saw no buildings only the one that he had just left so he looked in his bag and found a tarp, metal rods and a flare gun. “Oh so I build my own tent that’s easy.” He thought to himself. Turns out it wasn’t he tried and failed and failed and failed and failed until he just decided to wrap him self in the tarp it was uncomfortable and he kept saying to himself why did I join why did i join! After an uncomfortable night’s sleep he heard a bugle and knew it was time to start training we rolled out of the tarp and packed it in his bag and was led to a cafeteria where he ate a surprisingly tasty breakfast after that he was led to an out door shooting range. “Oh no I’m terrible with a gun!” He thought to himself and just like Jeff could read his mind Jeff appeared from nowhere. “He you can do this!” He said. And Henry loaded his gun and took his fist shot.

September 01, 2023 17:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.