The last two people on the fictional Earth

Submitted into Contest #39 in response to: Two people who thought they were the last people left on Earth end up meeting by chance.... view prompt

4 comments

Science Fiction

Aaaarghhh! This damn alarm clock! It has ruined my life. Daniel reached over from his bed and stopped the alarm clock. It was one in the afternoon.


"Guess it's finally time to wake up then," Daniel thought.


"MOMMM...?," Daniel yelled. "Mom?"


Receiving no response from his mother, Daniel went downstairs to find her, but she was nowhere to be seen. Daniel grew worried, but then remembered that she had told him yesterday that she would be going to his aunt's house early in the morning.


Daniel assumed that his father had gone to work and his little sister, Macy, had gone to school. Little did he know that this was not the case.


Daniel was a eighteen-year old teenager, someone who often depended on his mom, but was pretty independent when he needed to be. He went to college, but had his summer breaks and enjoyed the break fully by staying out almost most of the night and sleeping through the morning. Daniel was a caring and supportive brother and catered to Macy's most needs. He was a person with a small, but loyal friends group and was a good student.


On the other hand, Macy was a fourteen-year old girl who was the opposite of the person Daniel was. She was reckless, uncaring and irresponsible.


Daniel ate his breakfast and after that, he scrolled through Instagram and watched some random videos on YouTube. He got bored after some time and decided to go to the supermarket and later, swing by his best friend, Mark's house. Daniel dropped a note, writing down where he was going, in case he got late.


On the way to the supermarket,which was within the walking distance of his house, he saw posters which said that the Earth is flat and he ignored them. Daniel sensed that something was wrong. He didn't see anyone out on the streets, which he mostly did and upon reaching the supermarket, he noticed that there weren't any guards present and nobody was in the supermarket.


Daniel was panicked and then he decided to roam around and see if there was anyone. He was even more shocked to see that all the shops were open, but there was no living body to be seen around.


Theories roamed around Daniel's head. he thought that maybe everyone had become invisible or maybe he was the last one left on the Earth or maybe aliens had come and took everyone with them, leaving Daniel alone or maybe he was part of some experiment. Every theory was crazier than the rest, but Daniel was sure of one thing, that he was alone here and he had to survive.


He walked back to the supermarket and took all things that he needed. Daniel was pacing through the aisles, thinking about what else should he take when he noticed someone's shadow. He was scared, but wanted to know who else was there. He searched the supermarket for the shadow, but in vain.


After sometime, Daniel noticed the shadow again and this time, he didn't waste anytime and raced to the aisle where he had seen it. He expected to find a ghost, but instead his emerald green eyes saw the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. At that moment, he immediately got to know that he had fallen in love.


The girl was staring right back at him with her beautiful hazel brown eyes, but her expression looked troubled. After some seconds, she ran away from him. Daniel couldn't process what happened and for a moment, he thought that she was just a fragment of his wild imagination, but then he realized that he couldn't feel what he was feeling due to his imagination.


Daniel then decided to find that girl out and searched the whole supermarket and found her sitting besides the counter, hiding. He knew that he had to deal with her gently.


"Hi, I am Daniel. Don't worry, I'm not here to harm you. I am just trying to help you. Sorry if I scared you," Daniel said to the girl, offering his hand.


The girl stared at him for one minute and then she smiled. Her smile was really contagious, it could light up the world and it could make everything seem alive.


She said, taking Daniel's hand," Hey, I am Jade. Sorry accepted and I apologize for my rude behavior."


"So we are the last two people on the Earth, I guess." Daniel told her.


"Yeah, that is one way to put it." Jade replied. "Don't you think it's weird? It's something that you would expect to see in the movie or read in a book."


"Yes, that seems way more logical. What are we even supposed to do, living here all by ourselves?"


"Maybe we need to do something instead of sitting and waiting around for someone to come." Jade said, excitedly. "Maybe, this is a test, maybe we are meant to solve this."


"Wait,wait,wait. Let's stop jumping to conclusions, okay?"


"As you say, but I'm sure that I am right."


As they talked, Daniel fell more and more in love with Jade. He loved every bit of her and was inspired by her personality. Daniel and Jade decided to go to Daniel's home and try to discover something that will help them to escape this weird situation.


While walking to Daniel's home, Daniel noticed the posters again. He looked around and didn't see any other posters of food etc, not even the no parking, no smoking or stop signs. He realized that the posters were most likely the clues they needed.


Daniel pointed the posters out to Jade and she got very excited. Daniel and Jade both started thinking about what the poster could mean by telling them that the Earth was flat as they both knew that the Earth was a sphere.


Daniel had a theory that he explained to Jade ,"Jade, we both know that the Earth is a sphere, but the poster here is contradicting our statement as it says that the Earth is flat so either we are wrong or the poster is wrong. But, in our situation, we both are correct."


"But how is that possible?"


"The Earth is a sphere, but we are talking about the Earth and this isn't the Earth. This is-"


Jade cuts off Daniel and says," a flat area which we are referring to be the Earth. So the poster wants to tell us that this is a flat ground and now we need to go to the edge of this area." She hugs Daniel hard, "You are brilliant, Daniel."


Daniel is surprised, but he hugs her back.


"Right," Daniel stuttered,still surprised. "Now we need to run to the supermarket and buy a map so we can see which side should we walk to and which route should we take."


Jade and Daniel ran to the supermarket and grabbed a map of Seoul, the place they lived in. They found out that they were close to the right edge and it was more easier route so they ran to the edge.


Standing on the edge was like standing on the edge of the diving board in the swimming pool, but instead of staring at the water, you are staring at a wide mass of nothingness.


Jade said," I think we need to jump from here."


"Yeah, but I am scared of heights." Daniel said, sounding scared.


"Okay so listen to me. First of all, close your eyes and imagine that you are going through the best day of your life once again. On the count of three just jump and don't think about the jump. I will hold your hand."


"Jade, I want to tell you something. Before I met you, I didn’t think love was for me. It was something other people had and felt. Something in movies and in TV shows. It felt more like a wish I had then something real. Now that I’m with you, love is so much more tangible. It’s something I can reach out and touch. It’s so much more than a wish or a hope. The warm hand next to mine, the brush of hair against my cheek. I love you and because of that love I love so much more than you. I love myself and the world in a way I never thought possible. You’ve made that possible for me. You’ve made everything possible."


"Oh my God, Daniel! I love you too. In the span of 2 days, I feel that we have grown a lot closer than anyone can possibly could. These days were the best of my life and I wish I can spend my whole life with you."


Jade hugs Daniel hard and they spend some moments in a tight embrace. After that, Jade holds Daniel's hand and they both jump into the mass of nothingness, expecting nothing.


They are really surprised when they both land into something soft and they open their eyes to see a mattress underneath them. They see their parents and some scientists sitting in a very small room which has a TV screen that shows the flat ground they were at just moments ago.


The scientists explain to Daniel and Jade that they were part of an experiment which took place to see how many teenagers can solve this riddle and escape in how much time. They had decided to send one person at a time and they would give him one month and if he hadn't escaped until then, they would rescue him.


They accidentally send them both at one time, but their escape was due to both their efforts. Jade and Daniel were the last ones to go and had escaped in the least time when compared to other teenagers part of this experiment.


Jade and Daniel met their parents who were worried that like all other parents, they would meet their children after a lot of time.

Daniel asked Jade to be his girlfriend and she agreed.




May 01, 2020 20:16

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Roshna Rusiniya
00:47 May 07, 2020

Nicely written. Good job!

Reply

Manahil Khan
16:56 May 08, 2020

Thank you so much💜

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Pranathi G
15:03 May 04, 2020

Nice story! Can you read my story and give me feedback on it? It's called, "THE TIME HAS COME." It's for the same contest. Thanks!

Reply

Manahil Khan
16:56 May 08, 2020

Thank you💕. Sure, it would be a pleasure 💞

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.