0 comments

General

"Grandpa, I've done what you asked, now can I take the wheel?"

That was Josh, the grandson to old veteran Col. Toby Sanders, retired from the secret service and now enjoying the rest of life on his boat. He didn't want to agree to his grandson to come with him but was coerce by his daughter, mindfully.

"Thank you, Josh, now are you sure it is done properly how I showed you?"

"Yes grandpa," shouted back Josh.

It was a warm sunny afternoon in Miami, Florida. The large exotic boat was moored in the docks, there were several more like it, Col. Toby Sanders lived nearly every other day on it, it was his way of escaping from everyone. But this time he could not, for his daughter, Jacqueline, was determined for him to spend more time with his only grandson, Josh Kirby.

Josh, 13 years of age and on school term, determined to make the most of his time with his grandfather. In the middle of preparing to go below deck, a rough authority voice bellowed behind him,

"Hello, young man, do you know the owner to this boat?"

"Who wants to know?" Josh questioned against him

"Oh I'm just a long lost friend," the voice answered back.

"If you say you are a long lost friend, who are you, what is your name?"

"Oh, how terribly rude of me...where are my manners, the name is Jim Studdard, and what's your name?"

"I am not in the habit of talking to strangers,"

With that, Josh rushed below to inform his grandfather, who returned moments later, with his sailor hat and white Bermuda pants and striped shirt.

"Hello there, I don't think I know you, what do you want?"

The gentleman look steadily at Toby before answering him,

"As I was saying to the young lad, my name is Jim Studdard and I am here on an important announcement for you."

"What can be so important to me, an old man, retired for several decades, what nonsense you may have the wrong man."

"I am afraid I do have the right man, Col Toby Sanders, retired officer of the Secret Service."

"But how do you know who I am," and turning to Josh, "Go down and get ready, I'll be with you in a moment."

"Are you sure grandpa?"

"Quite sure, now go...now...ok!"


The young boy did as he was told, leaving the two men facing each other. There was silence for a few moments, until,

"Why have you come and why now?"

"Look, it wasn't my idea...I've come to give you this,"


With that the man handed Toby a long white envelope with embossed writing in black and red.


"What is this, it can't be an assignment...but I'm retired now...I can't do assignments any more on account of ill health,"

"It is not an assignment, just open it and read it, you do not need to give an answer straight away, but, I will be in touch."


Col Toby Sanders took the envelope, reluctantly, and as he read the envelope to look up to see the gentleman on his way without him shouting out,

"I will return for your response."


Josh was seen around the corner of the yacht with tears in his eyes,

"Are you going away again, grandpa?"

"No son, not at all."











November 05, 2019 09:38

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.