4 comments

Drama Romance

I had to ride with her. Usually, I'd wait for the next trip if she got to the elevator before I did but I was already fifteen minutes late for work.

"Hi" I greeted before quickly turning my back to her and selecting the ground floor.

I wasn't the shyest person in the world but something about my neighbor excited me and made me nervous at the same time. A casual nod was the most she could solicit from me in the hallway before I hurried away like a child stealing candy.

"I'm on my way down," she confirmed to the person on the other end of the call. The lucky bastard. That was the first time I heard her voice. It was as calm and gentle as she was breathtaking in her workout outfit.

I took out my phone and began to flick through my messages but was not seeing any of them as I kept reminding myself that she was right behind me.

A sudden jerk as the light flicked off made me stumble and OMG, I accidentally felt her breast brush against my elbow.

"I'm so sorry I turned and quickly began apologizing.

"It's cool. Shit happens."

Shorty had a potty mouth on her. Hell yeah!

"Must have been some kind of power outage," I added.

"Yeah, we should be rolling again in no time. Look, see the lights are back already."

"Thank God. I really can't stand these things."

She dialed a number and put the phone to her ears then placed her fingers over the speaker. "Its nothing but a big vertical sea-saw," she said to me in hushed tones. "Up down, up down."

I wish I could share her confidence but I already felt my heart rate trying out for a track team. Beads of sweat began to form on my nose and my fingers instantly felt like I'd been playing with slime.

"My name's Codian, I live in 7B," I offered.

"Talliah, 7 D." She blushed and looked away.

My insides wanted to topple out. Not sure which was worst but it was either try distracting myself with her so I wouldn't catch a full-blown panic attack or not talk to her and have a panic attack in front of her. Rubbing the back of my neck I knew there was only one option in my mind. I refused to let her see me as a claustrophobic chicken.

The elevator was getting hot and still not moving so I took off my jacket and paced back and forth. Then I unbuttoned my top buttons while keeping my hands in my pockets hoping the cloth would absorb the moisture. I backed myself into the corner, crossing my arms over my chest. Trying to hide my nerves and appear manly I was surely failing at.

"You really hate it in here don't you?"

"Yup. I don't like feeling trapped." I downplayed how much I really needed to get out.

"You just need slow deep breaths and something else to focus on."

"Thanks. I'll try." I rolled my shoulders and tapped my foot then stopped when I noticed she was looking.

I took out the phone and opened Netflix looking for a distraction but nothing was taking my mind off the fact that we were stuck in an elevator. I played worst-case scenarios in my head like I was daring something bad to happen. Even though I knew I was being irrational I couldn't help it.

"Excuse me." I reached across in front of her to press the emergency button again. Then she opened the panel for the emergency phone.

"This is taking a bit longer than I expected she," stated.

Why couldn't she keep that thought to herself? All too suddenly heat rose up inside me like a tsunami about to devour an island and I couldn't breathe.

I ripped at the remaining buttons on my shirt and took it off.

"Are you ok?"

"I'll be fine. I just have to relax."

I started to chant to myself, " just breath, just breath."

How could I ever get this girl to like, far less respect me if I couldn't handle a silly elevator?

"Thanks." She hung up the phone but I had no idea what she said because I was spiraling inside and trying to look normal outside.

The lady said there's no ARD system so we've just gotta be patient and let the technicians do their thing." she explained.

"Ok."

With that Talliah walked over to me while retrieving something from her bag. OMG, I was gonna die in this stupid thing. As if the anxiety needed any help. This weird feeling ran the length of my entire body as she used a tissue to wipe my face. Her touch was gentle and caring like you would handle a baby.

"Thank you."

I held down my head feeling all kinds of embarrassed but I was frozen in position.

I didn't say a word but somehow she knew.

Talliah took both my palms in hers and looked me straight in the eye.

"You have nothing to be ashamed of Codian. I feel you."

She placed one of my palms over her heart and it was beating erratically. Ironically that slowed my own rate.

I could feel my head swelling but this time it wasn't fear. The realization was painting me a picture that anxiety could not erase.

She held my face with both her palms and wiped away the beads from my cheeks with her thumbs. I leaned into her touch as a deep breath escaped me.

"Don't look away," she ordered.

I quickly obeyed because closing my eyes gave the tension a chance to rise all over again.

"I'm so sorry. This isn't the way I wanted us to meet."

"We met from the first time we walked past each other in the hall. I wasn't sure why you put so much energy into avoiding me so I never said anything. The only reason I'm not panicked right now is that you need me to be strong but I'm afraid of these shit too."

I tried to hold down my head feeling every bit of pathetic.

"Don't!" she ordered again. We're in this together and if you lose it so will I."

She locked her eyes onto mine and as I stared into her soul we were no longer in an elevator. It was just me and her trapped in each other.

I felt the anxiety release my body and I sent the insecurities right along with it. If she could be a woman who put my needs ahead of her fears then I would be the man who does that for her.

I caught her hair between my fingers and brushed my lips against hers. She didn't resist so I knew I wasn't dreaming her words earlier. I pulled her in so I could taste her better and she moaned as we exchanged our souls through our kiss.

Never did I think I could stand a chance with someone like her but it looked like I was the only thing standing in my way.

"I think you should get your shirt. We're moving!"




September 07, 2020 04:30

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Sam Newsome
01:12 Sep 17, 2020

Says a lot without saying much.

Reply

M.L. Crichlow
20:48 Sep 17, 2020

I was trying to share a glimpse of what anxiety does to someone internally and hint at the power of inner strength and love.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ariadne .
04:38 Sep 15, 2020

The romance in this story is epic. Codian's emotions are well written. Excellent job! I noticed there are a few places with incorrect placement of quotation marks. 1. "Hi" I greeted before quickly turning my back to her and selecting the ground floor. There should be a comma or a period in there. 2. "I'm so sorry I turned and quickly began apologizing. You're missing the punctuation and closing quotation mark. 3. "This is taking a bit longer than I expected she," stated. The 'she' is not supposed to be included in the dialogue. 4. I s...

Reply

M.L. Crichlow
19:51 Sep 15, 2020

Thanks so much for your feedback and words of encouragement. I'm really sorry about the typos. I wrote the story and submitted it in a rush for two reasons. 1) I was super tired and 2) I didn't want to give myself the chance to chicken out and not submit it. I've literally thrown myself into the book world and this is my second piece I've ever shared. The first being my novella One Dance and it took me years to do that. So I really appreciate that you enjoyed it even with the errors. I will read your story! I'm sure it is amazing b...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.