Keeper of the Memories

Submitted into Contest #108 in response to: Write about a person or object vanishing into thin air.... view prompt

33 comments

Sad Fiction




I forgot how to write the number six today. I was in a meeting with my boss and I couldn’t write the number six. Ironically, there were six people seated at the conference table in the air conditioned room. My chair swiveled on the carpeted floor as I tried to concentrate on moving my pen on sheet of paper in front of me. I knew I should be making eye contact with the person seated at the head of the table, but if only I could get this written down first. I needed to just make the lines or curves or squiggles in my notes. What the hell! What is the matter with my brain? It has a circle in it, right? It’s not a balloon. Why does this look like the start of a letter g to me? Am I writing g or 6? Fuck it. Now my boss has noticed that my pen has stopped moving and I am staring at my paper like it is the enemy. Because it has turned into the enemy.


Later, in the lunch room, my colleagues were all discussing the various movies they have seen recently. I silently ate my peanut butter and jelly sandwich.


I can tell you how these conversations typically go when I am asked directly:


“Have you seen <insert any random movie title here>?” I can tell you how I compensate for my lack of remembering. I counter with, tell me what genre it is. And then I will tell you, I don’t watch movies like that. Because, as I have already mentioned, I don't remember any of them. No matter what you tell me, I will most certainly tell you I don’t watch that type of movie. Or, sometimes I will change it up with, I can’t sit long enough to watch a whole movie. I get distracted and wander away to go fold laundry or wash dishes. Unless I am called out by my husband or one of my daughters. Then they look at me with an impatient roll of the eyes and tell me that I watched the movie with them. Lately I’ve noticed that my youngest daughter has caught on to my secret and will cover for me. She will say things like, well, mom was napping through the movie or she was reading a book while she was watching with us. I’m not sure if she is really helping me or if this is by accident. I don’t want to ask for fear of scaring her.


I cannot remember the vacations we took. My husband and I went on fabulous adventures before children and with our children. He is the keeper of all these memories. We have pictures of some of our trips framed and scattered in various rooms of our home. These will sometimes trigger questions or spark an almost memory. Where were we when the beer was colder than when that man bought it? The Yankee game in Baltimore. Where were we when we saw the baby bear who lost his mama and the guide was feeding him apples? That was Yellowstone. When was it that we had really good hot chocolate? That was in the Grand Canyon. My husband has the memory of an elephant. At least I think he does. I wouldn’t know if he didn’t as I wouldn’t remember.


As the mom, it is expected that I am supposed to remember everything and keep track of things. I have all doctor appointments and sporting events memorized and in my head. I have musical concerts and the dates for parent/teacher conferences ready to pull out of thin air. I know when the car repair appointments and oil changes are due. I know when to take the dog to the vet. I am juggling a lot of information all the time. I have all of this data up in my brain. I know it is in there. It is in there somewhere. But I just cannot retrieve it anymore. It used to come so easily. Where is it all going?


At the farm stand the last weekend, my youngest daughter and I selected three pastries. They make their own fresh donuts and muffins on the weekend. If we get there early enough, the selection is large and the pastries are still warm. We walked up to the register with our box of pastries and a watermelon. When the clerk asked us what was in the box so she could ring us out, I drew a complete blank. Uh? Um, not donuts.


"Did you get fritters?" the clerk helpfully suggested.


Nope, not the fritters. That didn't sound right. What the hell was in the box. Finally my daughter, embarrassed for me, said, "One cinnamon roll, one cinnamon twist, and one scone. Yeesh mom, do you even remember which daughter I am?" I knew she was trying to make a joke to lighten the sudden tension, or did she really want reassurance that I remembered her name?


It’s scary to think that I am forgetting things. Already. My grandmother forgot things. I watched her forget things. I would bring my daughters, at the time they were very little, to the nursing home to visit her. Some days she forgot why she was there or where she was. She forgot who I was or who the girls were. On the good days, she remembered that her favorite coffee was the french vanilla with cream and sugar that we brought for her to drink. She would remember our faces and our names. She would remember that she gave the best hugs in the world. She would remember that she sang in the most beautiful Irish brogue and sang for us “My Wild Irish Rose.”


On other days, she would forget. She had her earrings on her fingers. She would forget to brush her hair or put on her lipstick. She would become argumentative and uncooperative. She would be scared. She would ask for her mom and she would ask for her sister.


She would forget.


I don’t want to forget. 


Maybe it is because my grandmother lost her keeper of memories. She lost her husband, her sister, her parents, all of those people who helped create memories with her. All of the people who made her, her. She had an amazing life filled with her own adventures. She and her husband took vacations before children, with children, and after children. She had stories about her childhood she would share. I wish I had written those down. Because, as I have now mentioned. I don't remember any of them. I have forgotten to remember my grandmother's stories. I have forgotten my grandmother.


And now here I am. I can’t even remember what I was writing about. I have to keep notes. I have notes for my notes. My phone has a notes app. I use that to help me. I also send myself texts, and take pictures of things I need to remember. I typed up all of my user names and passwords. Why do we need so many user names and passwords these days? Who can remember all of these? These are all stored in my notes. But just in case I forget to remember my notes, I send a copy of my notes to one of my daughters. She immediately texts back, "Why are you sending me these? Is this a 'just in case' scenario?" I respond with a smile emoji and a heart and an "of course sweetheart!"


My notes came in handy just last week when I was baking cookies. This was something that I have done hundreds, if not thousands of times in my lifetime. The chocolate chip recipe is almost the same anyone finds on the back of the package, but with tweaks made during my first year of marriage to please my husband's sweet tooth. He fell even further in love with me once these cookies reached perfection. These are the cookies that our daughters grew up baking with me, and were made on every snow day. I know this recipe better than I know how to spell my maiden name.


Until last week when I tried to bake the cookies.


I knew I needed the mixer. And I needed butter. After that, it was a total blank. I stood in the kitchen staring at the mixer on the counter wondering what to do. My eyes caught sight of my phone. I thought, oh! Notes! I have the recipe in my notes! Perfect! And so, I used my notes. Not only did I have to use the notes, but I also needed to refer to them multiple times to bake those cookies.


Somehow those cookies tasted just a little bit off. No one else seemed to notice. But I did.


Eventually I will just fade away, much like my grandmother. That is my fear. I will forget to be me. I won’t remember who I am or what I am or where I’ve been. 


I will be sitting in a nursing home with earrings on my fingers and wondering who these kind people are bringing me coffee.


I will have disappeared, just like the number six.



August 22, 2021 12:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

33 comments

John K Adams
16:06 Sep 03, 2021

Amy, I'm late to the party but so glad I came. You are a wonderful writer. This close examination of the little noticed crevices where our memories are kept is so poignant and sad and vivid and, and, and... I will read more. Anyone who reads this can relate. How awful to lose that delicate fabric of memory which we learn too late, makes up our identity?

Reply

Francis Daisy
02:11 Sep 04, 2021

Thank you for coming, stay as long as you'd like! :)Amy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
07:18 Sep 03, 2021

Good story.Explanation is suitable and good.

Reply

Francis Daisy
11:24 Sep 03, 2021

Why thank you! You are so sweet to read and to comment on my story! Have a super day! :)A

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sharon Williams
17:16 Sep 02, 2021

Hello Amy. Critique Circle here. This is a such a sad story, It captured the onset of dementia well, and showed great empathy for the victim. It was clever of you to tie the writer's experience of her grandmother with dementia into the piece, it heightened how frightening this was for her. Well done and good luck.

Reply

Francis Daisy
21:21 Sep 02, 2021

Hi Sharon! Thank you for reading my story and for your sweet comments. Enjoy your day! -A

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Tamara Bowman
14:11 Sep 02, 2021

wow! your writing flows so naturally and beautifully, I specifically liked how you very vividly described the raw emotions involved in her mothers loss of memory and then using the repetition of "earrings on my fingers" to describe the fear of becoming like that too, making it really touching. keep it up!

Reply

Francis Daisy
21:16 Sep 02, 2021

Thank you for the encouraging words, coming at just the right moment... -A

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M. J. Riv
16:04 Aug 31, 2021

I could feel my heart break, the further I read. The mother, despite her failing memory, has the presence of mind to realize what is happening to her and fear what is inevitable. She is embarking on a heroic battle to maintain her role as a loving mother and wife. Unselfishly, they are her prime concern. I felt her love and the sadness that, in time, all will be lost.

Reply

Francis Daisy
02:45 Sep 01, 2021

Thank you for reading and reacting. Your comments mean a lot to me. 🌺Amy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beth Jackson
00:52 Aug 30, 2021

What a beautiful story Amy! I especially liked the idea of her husband being the keeper of the memories. It’s a gentle and beautiful way to describe one of the important roles loved ones play when someone suffers from dementia/Alzheimer’s.

Reply

Francis Daisy
02:09 Aug 30, 2021

Beth, Thank you! There is nothing more important than family. We just need one another. Always. A:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
22:01 Aug 28, 2021

Deeply atmospheric and poignant. It's not the same thing, but my husband has ADHD and struggles with memory issues--so his family of origin and I have to hold a lot of memories for him. We fell out of touch with a number of his family recently, and I see how it takes a toll on him. This portrays that loss well. Good work.

Reply

Francis Daisy
04:12 Aug 29, 2021

Stephanie, I am sorry to hear of your own struggles with this. It must be so difficult to live with a loved one suffering with memory loss. And then to compound this loss by losing your support system of extended family members must make life even more difficult for you both. I know it's not easy to live a life with disabilities. Many blessings for you and yours. XO, A

Reply

05:09 Aug 29, 2021

Amy, thank you for your kind words. Your empathy, even for a stranger, means a lot. <3 God keep you and yours as well!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Charli Britton
19:53 Aug 27, 2021

Love the take on this prompt Amy, you did a very nice job executing the story. “Have you seen (blank)?” Slightly confused as to why that blank is there. My one bit of criticism is in the first paragraph you over use "number six" I think at times you could leave out the word number, I am fairly sure we all know that six is in fact a number. I look forward to reading more of your work! :)

Reply

Francis Daisy
00:54 Aug 28, 2021

Charli! Thank you so much for taking a close read of my story and for making comments. I will definitely go back and take a closer look at that first paragraph for sure. I use (blank) as a place holder for the fact that she cannot remember (blank) and so (blank) just seemed to fit in the sentence. Do you have an alternate suggestion? I am not even sure I am going to submit this for the contest though as I am so intimidated by all the winners. I see who wins each week and I know I am not even close to the running, so at this point, I will k...

Reply

Show 0 replies
Francis Daisy
01:05 Aug 28, 2021

Okay, so, if you are here and see this reply - please check out the changes and tell me what you think? Thank you so much! :)A

Reply

Charli Britton
10:01 Aug 28, 2021

I went back and read it. Looks all good!

Reply

Francis Daisy
12:01 Aug 28, 2021

Thank you, and I did submit it to the contest at the last moment. At the very least, it is my $5 donation to a group of great writers! I do feel honored to be walking among the giants here... Thank you again for your help with my story! XO, A

Reply

Charli Britton
16:35 Aug 28, 2021

Yep! Of course. I hope it wins or at least gets shortlisted!

Reply

Francis Daisy
03:17 Aug 29, 2021

Oh, you are so sweet to say! Thank you! :)A

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 2 replies
Alex Sultan
21:38 Aug 25, 2021

I really like writing about memory. Such an interesting concept,, and your take on it here is great. Your use of short sentences complements the story really well! 'She would forget. I don’t want to forget. ' I stopped to read this line twice. It flows so well with the story in a chilling way, nice work :)

Reply

Francis Daisy
01:38 Aug 26, 2021

Alex, Thank you so much! :)Amy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Scott Skinner
15:45 Aug 24, 2021

This was a sad and honest reflection of what someone who is facing early signs of dementia would grapple with. The first line and intro paragraph immediately pulled me in, and I liked how you tied in the number 6 disappearing as the last line at the end of the story as well. It felt very neat & complete. I liked the details you provided about her family like how her youngest daughter covers for her, and the examples of memories you offered that she does remember - almost like highlights - felt real to me. I think the writing around the gra...

Reply

Francis Daisy
01:45 Aug 25, 2021

Scott, Hello! Thank you for the thoughtful feedback. I really appreciate all you have to say to help. What I am wondering is, now that I have gone back and reread the story about a half dozen times aloud, if a hyphen or ellipses would be better? As in: "No matter what you tell me... I will most certainly tell you that I don't watch that type of movie." I just always seem to read it with a subtle pause there. Just as I do with the other sentences. But, oh my gosh, how many times can I say "use my notes" in one sentence? Good call! Thank you...

Reply

Scott Skinner
03:34 Aug 25, 2021

I think commas could work too: "No matter what you tell me, I will most certainly tell you I don’t watch that type of movie." "Because, as I have now mentioned, I don't remember any of them."

Reply

Francis Daisy
12:17 Aug 25, 2021

LOL! I just had a flashback moment to elementary school when we learned about commas and I used, commas, like, all the time, and drove my teacher, absolutely, terribly, crazy! Now all of those red marks on my paper make me cringe when I think of using the comma! :) (evidently not the same when it comes to the exclamation point) Thank you again! :)Amy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Daniel R. Hayes
06:16 Aug 24, 2021

This was really good, Amy. You have been busy writing, and I think that's fantastic. Another genre change... my mind is blown! :) Like all your stories, I think this one will stick with me for awhile. I love the way you craft these stories, you truly have a talent my friend! Excellent job, I loved it :)

Reply

Francis Daisy
11:11 Aug 24, 2021

Squirrel? Hello Daniel! I guess I never noticed or thought about choosing a genre and sticking with it. I just go where ever my mind wanders off to at the moment, and where the prompt takes me. SQUIRREL! :)Amy

Reply

Daniel R. Hayes
15:18 Aug 24, 2021

I think that's fantastic. Some people have trouble writing stories in a different genre and I think it's great that you have that talent!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Eve Y
00:42 Aug 23, 2021

This story grabbed my attention right from the beginning. I loved how you gave the character personality. I especially liked the line, "Am I writing g or 6? Fuck it." I also thought it was very sentimental and when I finished the last line I really had to sit down and think about what I read. Great job and keep writing!

Reply

Francis Daisy
03:03 Aug 23, 2021

Eve, Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love that you appreciate the character and her personality. :) This piece is still in progress and so I was thinking on it throughout the day on what I can add in here and tuck in there to make it better. Now if only I can remember what those tidbits were... :)Amy

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.