Lies that turn into nightmares

Written in response to: Write a story about a white lie which spirals out of control.... view prompt

11 comments

Kids Fiction Inspirational

Cassidy was playing in the yard with her friend Harlin. They were running around when Cassidy had an idea. 

“Why don’t we play softball?” She asked.

“Ok.” Harlin said.

Cassidy ran inside to get the softball stuff from the basement. Little did Harlin know Cassidy had a secret. She wasn’t allowed to play softball in the yard in case the ball hit a window. Cassidy was a very strong hitter. There’s no way the ball will hit a window. She thought as she gathered the softball stuff from the basement. She ran back outside and called

“I’m hitting first!” 

“Ok fine.” Harlin said.

Cassidy grabbed a bat while Harlin grabbed a glove. Together the set up the bases and then Harlin got a ball. 

“Ready?” Harlin asked.

“Bring it.” Cassidy said.

Harlin pitched Cassidy the ball. It went turning through the air coming towards Cassidy’s bat. 

WHACK!

The ball went flying. Cassidy was so happy until she saw where the ball was headed. It was headed for a window.

“No no no. Please don’t let it hit.” Cassidy said.

Unfortunately Cassidy’s prayers were not answered. The ball crashed through the window.

“What was that!” She heard her mom yell.

“There’s a softball in here.” Her dad said.

Cassidy heard both her parents coming outside.

“Quick hide the stuff.” Cassidy said.

“Why?” Harlin asked.

“Because I’m not supposed to play softball outside in case it hits a window so I can’t let my parents know I was.” Cassidy hissed.

“Oh ok.” Harlin said.

Together they tossed the softball stuff into the garbage can area. Then they stood trying to look like they had nothing to do with the ball.

“Cassidy was this you?” Cassidy’s dad asked as he emerged from the house.

“Of course not dad.” Cassidy lied.

“Then who was it?” He demanded.

“Ummm. It was a girl. She whacked the ball up to the window and then took off.” Cassidy said lying again.

“Well what did this girl look like?” Her mom asked.

“She had umm brown hair and yellow glasses and blue eyes.” Cassidy said.

“All right let’s go.” Her dad said to her mom. “You two stay inside.” He said to Cassidy and Harlin.

With that, Cassidy's mom and dad walked calmly over to the gate that was around their driveway. Her dad opened it and he and her mom were off going down the street.

“Come on let’s go inside.” Cassidy said.

They walked inside and went up to Cassidy’s room.

Meanwhile CAssidy’s parents walked down the street in search for the girl their daughter had described. They walked and walked and finally saw a girl with brown hair, yellow glasses, and blue eyes.

“You there.” Her dad said.

The young girl turned around. She was no older than nine or ten.

“What is your name?” Cassidy’s dad demanded.

“It’s Eliza.” She said. “Eliza Monroe.”

“Well Eliza my daughter said that she saw you hit a ball to our window and then run away. Now we have to pay to fix the window.” He said. “What do you have to say to that.

“I’m sorry but…” Eliza started but Cassidy’s dad cut her off.

“You should be sorry because you’re either going to get the money to pay to fix the damage or we are going to sue your parents.” Cassidy’s dad said.

“But you can’t do that.” She said. “I didn’t have anything to do with this.”

“Oh yes you did, my daughter saw you.” Cassidy’s dad said.

“But I…” Eliza started again.

“No buts.” Cassidy’s dad interrupted again. “If you can’t pay we’ll sue you. What is your address and what are your parents' names?” Cassidy’s dad demanded.

Nervously Eliza started listing off the thing he had asked.

“Here honey.” Cassidy’s mom said, handing him a notebook. “Have her write it down so we can remember.”

“Thank you sweetie.” Cassidy’s dad replied.

“Eliza.” He said sharply. “Write down your address and your mother and father’s names in this notebook.”

“Oh oh ok.” Eliza stuttered.

She did as he asked and when she was done she handed the notebook back to him.

“Thank you. Now remember if we don’t have the money we need in two weeks we will sue you.” He said.

Then he turned and walked away with his wife beside him.

When they got home Cassidy’s dad said

“Harlin I’m sorry but you have to go home.” 

“Oh ok.” Harlin said. “Bye Cassidy!” 

“Bye Harlin!” Cassidy said.

After Harlin left, Cassidy's dad said.

“I found the girl who hit the ball.” 

“You you did?” Cassidy stuttered.

“Yes I warned her that if we don’t have the money we need in two weeks we will sue her. I also got her address and her parent’s names.” Cassidy’s dad said.

“Oh ok.” Cassidy said. 

“Now I want you to get ready for bed.” He said.

“But I haven't even had dinner.” Cassidy said.

“Dinner will be brought to your room.” He said.

With that he turned and walked out of the room with his wife behind him. Casidy sighed and got ready for bed. Her mother brought her dinner and she ate and then brushed her teeth and crawled into her bed. She closed her eyes and drifted off to sleep.

Two weeks passed and they had not received any money. Cassidy had gone to vist the girl (Eliza) one day and Eliza had burst out crying because she didn’t have enough money. Cassidy felt so bad so when her dad was ready to sue she blurted out

“It was me. I hit the softball and I didn’t want to get in trouble so I made up someone. I didn’t realize that there would actually be someone with the same description. Eliza doesn’t have enough money, please don’t sue her.”

“So you lied?” Her dad asked.

“Yes I did and I’m really really sorry.” Cassidy said.

“Well Cassidy that was very bad of you. You know that you are not supposed to play softball in the yard.” Her dad said.

“I know I’m super sorry.” She said.

“I think in order to make up for it you have to get a summer job to make the money to pay for the window.” he said.

“Ok dad but you're not going to sue Eliza right?” She just had to clarify.

“No I’m not going to sue Eliza.” He said.

Cassidy’s dad called Eliza’s parents (he had found their phone numbers on the internet) and straitened everything out. He also apologized for being so rude to Eliza when he first met her. Cassidy got a summer job to make the money and soon she would have enough! Long story short Cassidy learned her lesson that time. Never lie and tell the truth.

August 17, 2021 01:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

11 comments

19:34 Aug 17, 2021

𝕎𝕠𝕟𝕕𝕖𝕣𝕗𝕦𝕝 𝕤𝕥𝕠𝕣𝕪, ℂ𝕒𝕣𝕠𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕖! 𝕀 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕟𝕜 𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕙𝕒𝕕 𝕒 𝕘𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕥 𝕥𝕒𝕜𝕖 𝕠𝕟 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕣𝕠𝕞𝕡𝕥! -❤- 𝔹𝕖𝕝𝕝𝕒

Reply

Caroline Fonteno
22:02 Aug 18, 2021

Thank you! I used inspirsation from a tv show I watched once.

Reply

22:06 Aug 18, 2021

Coolio :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Graham Kinross
14:57 Nov 24, 2021

What TV show inspired you? This was good. It’s cool to know people’s inspirations.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies
Show 1 reply

Great story!

Reply

Caroline Fonteno
03:36 Aug 17, 2021

thanks!

Reply

Your welcome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
23:47 Aug 26, 2021

Good job

Reply

Caroline Fonteno
23:50 Aug 26, 2021

thanks!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AVA ARRAMBIDE
20:01 Dec 13, 2021

I liked the story

Reply

Show 0 replies
AVA ARRAMBIDE
20:01 Dec 13, 2021

Hi Caroline, it’s Ava

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.