1 comment

Thriller Teens & Young Adult Horror

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.


+


Unknown Number:


<Dear Kaisen Markos,


It is with deep regret that we at the Human Population Reduction Act Association (HPR2A) must inform you that you have been selected as one of the ten citizens who will be subjected to death tonight in the United States, as part of our ongoing efforts to reduce overpopulation on Earth.


Your gun will be mailed to your residence at precisely 8:00pm tonight. We kindly request that you end your life quietly and without any resistance, in accordance with the procedures outlined in the provided manual. Should any resistance or noncompliance occur, our officials will have no choice but to take necessary action.


We understand that this news may come as a shock to you, and we want to assure you that we do not take this decision lightly. Please know that you have been selected based on a fair and impartial process that takes into account a range of factors.


We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.


Sincerely,

Morris

Human Population Reduction Act Association (HPR2A)>


+


I couldn't believe what I was reading. At first, I thought it was some kind of sick joke or spam message, but the longer I stare at it, the more real it seems.


As I try to make sense of the situation, I realize that there is no way to escape my fate. The message is clear: I am going to die, and it will take place tonight.


My heart races as I read the message over and over again.


How can this be happening to me? I had always thought that I was doing my part to contribute to society and was making a positive impact on my community. I attended non-profitable organizations and volunteered every week, distributing necessities to those in need and working to help others out.


But now, it feels as if I did it all for nothing.


My life is being taken away from me without my consent, and I was told so through a single text. Not even an email or a phone call, but a singular, apathetic text.


A flurry of emotions swirls in me, ranging from fear and disbelief to anger and frustration. How could they just decide to end my life like this? Don’t I have a say in what happens to me?


The only thing I can do now is ignore the fact that I will die tonight, so that is what I do.


I delete the message and shove my phone in my pocket. The clock reads 5:30pm, so I only have around two and a half hours to live. I might as well make the best out of it and enjoy the remaining time I have.


I grab my keys and drive over to my sister’s house. Walking up the porch steps, I can’t help but feel as though my world is collapsing. I pause in front of the door, wondering where it all went wrong.


What would’ve happened if I had gone to the food pantry more often, or quit my job to work full-time at a non-profit? Should I have just lived freely and done whatever made me feel happy? 


I overlook my worries and pretend as though everything is perfectly fine. I’ll be gone in just two more hours—it’s that simple. There’s nothing else I need to mull on about, so I should just enjoy the moment. 


I finally bring myself to knock on the door twice, resting my palm against the cold, wooden door as I wait.


The lock soon turns with a click and I withdraw my hand. The door opens with a soft push and a woman with wavy brunette hair appears. Her face is the same as I’ve always known. Sharp, defined features, with freckles scattered across her cheeks and nose. A small smile tugs at the corners of her lips as she raises an eyebrow toward me.


I feel a prickling sensation behind my eyes, and I know what’s about to come. The tears form slowly, blurring my vision and clouding my thoughts. 


I wrap my arms around Kalhia in a tight embrace, causing the tears to spill involuntarily. They stream down my face in hot, salty tracks, dripping under my chin and onto her shoulder. I try to regain control over myself, but it’s all in vain. 


The tears continue to flow, pouring out all my sorrow and pain in the form of liquid. The more I try to stop them, the more they come, until I’m consumed by my own grief. My heart aches and I let out a strangled sob. 


Kalhia’s hands pat my back gently, whispering words of comfort into my ear. 


“It’ll be alright.” She says. “I’m here for you, Kai, and I always will be.” 


Though her words are meant to help me feel better, they only cause me to become overwhelmed with guilt. Our parents’ death had left us dependent on each other, but now I’ll have to leave her all alone in this world.


What's even worse is that I’ll be dying in the same way our parents did, which will have an even greater impact on her. My heart wrenches at just the thought. I bury my face into her shoulders, not able to let go just yet. 


After a while, I finally pull away from her, my eyes feeling puffy and tight. She smiles sadly as if she already knows what would really happen to me tonight. 


“I promised I would always be there for you, Kalhia.” I clutch her hands in mine, my fingertips shaking just slightly. “I promised I would always be there to protect you.”


An emotion I couldn’t decipher flickered through her ashy gray eyes. It looks similar to regret, guilt, or something else that buries in between.


“Don’t worry, Kai, you’ve done well. I’m still alive because of you”


I smile wistfully, memorizing her features. She leads me into the house, and we share a hearty meal at the table. 


The clock reads 6:25pm and her phone starts ringing. Her hand immediately goes to cover the screen and she shoots up from her chair.


“I’ll be back soon. Gotta take a call real quick.” She rushes to her room and leaves me in the kitchen by myself. 


I was always a curious kid, so it was obvious that I would want to know the contents of that call, including what made her act so abnormally. I approach her closed door slowly, positioning myself to make sure my shadow doesn’t fall into her room. 


I press my ear against the door, trying to concentrate solely on the sound of her voice.


“Yes. Kais… [omitted] place [omitted].”


I could barely make out my name in her hushed voice. Why is she talking about me? Does she know that I was going to die tonight?


I strain my ears and soon a man's voice can be heard from the other line.


[omitted] replace your [omitted] request is [omitted] kill [omitted] alright?”


I pause. 


What’s this man asking my sister to do? And why exactly was the word “kill” mentioned? A million questions flood my mind, but I can't even begin to articulate them. 


After they exchange goodbyes, I realize it’s time to leave. I rush back to my seat quietly and continue eating as if nothing just happened. However, my mind is completely absorbed with hundreds of questions about the mysterious phone call.


***


The clock strikes 8:00 pm, and a knock on the door signals the arrival of the gun. I hesitate for a moment before taking a deep breath and opening the package. 


The gravity of the situation hits me like a ton of bricks. I had always thought that I was in control of my own life, but now I’ve finally realized that my destiny was always going to be decided by someone else. The idea of dying for the sake of population control is still not something I could wrap my head around. 


The weight of the gun feels heavy in my hands, an ominous warning saying that there is no turning back now.


I think about all the things that I still wanted to do, the places I still wanted to see, and the people I wanted to meet. But now, all those dreams and aspirations feel meaningless. What was the point of living if it could be taken away from me so easily?


As the minutes tick by, my mind races with different scenarios and possibilities. Should I try to fight back and resist? Or should I comply with their demands and end my life quietly? The decision weighs heavily on my mind, and I know that whatever I choose, it would have severe consequences.


I stare at the gun, brushing across the smooth surface with my fingertips. I ask myself: how did the others feel when they were chosen to die, just like I was? What did they do? And most importantly, how did they do it?


I take a deep breath and try to calm my racing thoughts. My phone buzzes from my pocket and I pull it out. 


+


[Notification Center]


Unknown Number:


<Hello Kaisen,


Your allotted time has expired. We kindly request that you comply with our procedures, or we will have to dispatch an officer to ensure compliance. We appreciate your cooperation. 


Thank you for your service.


Regards,

Morris

Human Population Reduction Act Association (HPR2A)>


+


A sudden wave of anger washes over me. Without a second thought, I type out a quick response to this Morris guy that’s telling me to kill myself. 


+


Unknown Number:


<Hello Kaisen, …>

^^Reply:


<Hey Morris,


Thanks, but no thanks! I'm afraid I can't do that for you right now.


Sincerely,

Kaisen>


+


I clench my phone tighter, my arms visibly shaking. With a sudden burst of fury, I hurl the device toward the ground with all my strength.


A sickening crack fills the room as my phone screen shatters into several pieces, scattering across the floor. The tension in my body gradually starts to dissipate, replaced by a sense of release relief.


I inhale deeply, enjoying the rush of adrenaline coursing through my veins. It was a small act of rebellion, a tiny way to assert my control over the situation. But deep down, I know that it won't change the fact that my life is still in someone else's hands.


A few minutes pass and I lean against the kitchen counter, not knowing what else to do. A knock on the door startles me, a reminder that I’m still not entirely out of this mess.


I cautiously approach the door, unsure of what to expect.


Reluctantly, I open the door and come face to face with a person dressed in an HPR2A uniform. Their face is covered with a mask, obscuring my only way of identifying them.


“Hello Kaisen, you have failed to comply with the outlined procedures. As a result, appropriate action will be taken. Please refrain from resisting and follow the instructions given to you to ensure that the process is carried out swiftly and effectively.”


I unwillingly take a few steps back as the officer approaches closer.


Glancing around nervously, I grab the gun from the kitchen counter and aim it unsteadily at the person before me.


“Don’t come any closer,” I warn, attempting to appear tough. "You'll regret it."


Even though I'm pointing a loaded gun toward their head, they don’t seem threatened, and in fact, continue to approach me with ease. After reaching a just few feet before me, the officer stops.


They reach behind their back and I pull the trigger impulsively.


I slowly open my eyes, expecting to see the officer's bloody body lying on the ground. Instead, they stand there in perfect health, with no signs of injury or blood.


I frantically pull the trigger multiple times, but I'm met with a shocking realization—the gun is completely empty. My heart sinks as I try to process the situation.


“You really think there would be real ammunition in that replica gun we gave you?” The officer asks, amused.


They pull out their own gun and aim it at me.


Without hesitation, I lunge forward and tackle them, fueled by a mix of fear and anger. We tumble to the ground and a bullet fires astray.


My vision distorts and a high-pitched buzzing rings in my ear. The sound pulses with my every move, but I ignore the pain and pin the officer onto the ground.  


During our struggle, I managed to tear off their mask, giving me a clear view of the officer's face.


My heart stops as I realize that it's my sister, Kalhia.


I quickly retract my arm, afraid of causing any harm to her. My heart beats heavily in my chest as my mind puts together all the clues, revealing the hidden picture.


How could she?


Betrayal pierces through me and I lose my rationality.


"What the hell, Kalhia? Why are you doing this?" I yell. I had trusted her, confided in her, and yet she had turned against me.


She looks at me with a hint of sadness and regret in her eyes. "I didn't have a choice, Kai. It was either me or you, and you know who I had to choose."


I stare at her in disbelief. “So it was you all along. You chose me to die in your place.”


“I’m sorry!” She exclaims. “But I have a proper job and a family with kids, but you, you don’t have anything else to lose! I thought you would understand, Kai.”


“Don’t call me that.” I clench my jaw.


She ignores me and continues on. “You said you would protect me and keep me safe from harm. You promised, Kai. This is exactly your chance to do that. You wouldn’t go back on your own words, would you?”


All the nonsense she shamelessly spouts only feeds the fire burning inside me. We grew up together, shared our secrets, and stood by each other through thick and thin. I never thought that she would be capable of something like this.


I deflate in resignation and put my hands up above my head.


“Okay. I’ll protect you, Kalhia. I always will.” My voice cracks and tears flow down to my chin. “But it is possible for us to have one last farewell before I'm gone?”


She hesitates but eventually nods, a bitter smile on her face.


“Okay.”


She approaches me and I wrap my arms around her back, hugging her tightly as I did barely two hours ago. She hugs me back, burying her face in my chest, her body trembling. 


This is it.


I slip by hand into her holster and smoothly pull out her gun. I press the metal to her head, my fingers finding a familiar position in the trigger.


She looks up at me, confusion dancing in her eyes. Only then was it that she realize my trick.


“I’m sorry,” I whisper, tears falling down my face.


The sound of the gunshot echoes throughout the room as I watched her lifeless body fall to the ground.


I stand above her, my heart twisting as I confront the reality of what I had done. Despite the guilt weighing on me, I push my feeble feelings aside and wipe away my fake tears. Then, I kneel down and reach into her back pocket to retrieve her phone.


I don't know the exact number of her passcode, but I do have an idea. I try typing in a number that was significant to us—our parent’s death: 312024. To my relief, her phone unlocks.


With shaking hands, I open her messages and click on the most recent one. With a surge of determination, I send a message to the unknown number and wait anxiously for their response.


+


Unknown Number:


<Hello Kalhia, …>

^^Reply:


<Hey Morris, 


It’s me, Kaisen. I killed the officer who was trying to trade my life for hers. Will I also receive the same deal she would've gotten if she had succeeded in killing me?>


+


After a few minutes, her phone lights up with a notification. I eagerly open it, excited to be excused from death. But to my surprise, the contents of the message are completely different from what I expected. I read through the text, my heart sinking with each passing word.


I collapse onto my knees, utterly confused at the result. I can’t believe it. What did I do wrong? Was it always this inevitable?

My heart pounds rapidly while I try to assess the situation from multiple perspectives. In the end, no matter how I look at it, the meaning is all the same.


I can't believe that I have to go through this all over again. It's like a nightmare that I can't wake up from. I clutch my head, sobbing and screaming into the ground.


All I know is that I have to find a way out of this, no matter what it takes. But beneath the surface of this optimism lies the truth that there really is no escape from a predestined fate.


+


Unknown Number:


<Dear Kaisen Markos,


We, at the Human Population Reduction Act Association (HPR2A), have decided that you may be excused from your scheduled death tonight. We congratulate you on escaping your fate and your successful killing of our officer.


We are excited to inform you that your death will be postponed until tomorrow. Your gun will be mailed to your residence at precisely 8:00pm tomorrow night. We kindly request that you end your life quietly and without any resistance, in accordance with the procedures outlined in the provided manual. Should any resistance or noncompliance occur, our officials will have no choice but to take necessary action.


We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter.


Sincerely,

Morris

Human Population Reduction Act Association (HPR2A)>


+


May 08, 2023 01:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Mike Rush
17:42 May 14, 2023

Angela, Oh. My. Gosh. Wait! Welcome to Reedsy! That's how I should start. Now, let me respond to your writing. This is horrifying. Chilling. Big Brother at its very worst. But so believable. So well written. I think I knew from the phone call the sister was somehow involved, but I did not see her being the death officer coming. What an excellent twist. I also did not see him killing her coming either. That is so cold! The complexity of this piece is off the scale. He only gets one more day! What! I like that you left some stuff up to u...

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.