Chalice's Doorway

Submitted into Contest #243 in response to: Write a story where time functions differently to our world.... view prompt

0 comments

Fantasy Speculative

Chalice’s Doorway

The ancients knew something long forgotten. Stone doorways, standing alone, become portals. Only a brave soul will walk through one. You never know where or when you might end up.

 In ignorance, one town tore down its old high school, leaving the door frame to define space and time for itself.

*****

 Chalice finished high school and graduated with honors. With a job and full college course load, she set her sights on her future.

 Long, black hair hung to Chalice’s waist. High cheek bones and near oriental eyes kept people guessing as to her heritage.

Chalice’s Journal

January 9th, 2006, midnight

No one’s going to believe this. But it’s true.

Mom gave me a watch for Christmas. Its face is chartreuse. I thought it was an ordinary watch. But it did something really weird today. If it isn’t caused by the watch, then I think I found a time glitch.

This is what happened.

I don’t understand why the city would tear down the old high school and leave the doorway standing.

Today I noticed that the fog around the door was being sucked through the door. Curious, I walked up the sidewalk leading to the door frame.

Four steps lead to the ex-main floor of the ex-school. A little of the linoleum floor remains with a hump of dirt so weird people who go through the door won’t fall off the back.

Anyway, I went up the steps and looked through the space. Fog flowed through the arch. I took one step through the doorway, and the sun shone on trees and a path.

A green cat walked by. I swear! It was the same color as my watch face. I looked at my watch and noticed that it was 8:00 in the morning. The sun appeared to be higher than that. The air seemed thicker, refreshing and sweet. A bird sang. Not a bird call. It sang! I didn’t recognize the words, but I got the impression that they rhymed.

When the unicorn walked by, I freaked and raced back through the archway. When I arrived at school, my classmates asked if I was all right. I didn’t answer because I didn’t believe it myself.

When I’d gone through the door, it was 8:00. When I came out, it said 7:45. The face was light blue. I think I’m going insane.

January 11th, 2006, after work

A unicorn is kind of amusing. So I went back to see if I was nuts. My watch face was still blue. The hands showed 9:20 p.m.

I saw motion beyond. Snow blew past like a blizzard. Faintly, I heard the whistle of a train – not behind me, but out there in the storm. The whistle blew again louder and I heard the wheels clicking on the rails. The train lumbered through heavy drifts that covered the tracks.

I stuck my hand through the opening. The wind chill cut through my fingers. I pulled them back and glanced at my watch. The time read 10:00 and the face was orange. Drat, that messes with the colors I can wear. Not everything goes with orange.

January 13, 2006, shortly after noon

I worked at 3:00. My friends noticed that the watch changes color. I told them I can change the colors of the face. “Where can we get one like that?” The questions are tough to answer. Will my watch be a new color every time?

On the way home, I had to see what might be happening “on the other side.”

I walked up the steps. The scene shifted before my eyes. First, a jungle scene appeared. A panther crept between bushes. Long, thick vines hung from tall trees, and birds called. Normal bird calls – for a jungle, that is.

The scene changed. A double rainbow hung over a waterfall. The tumbling water sounded so awesome I had to go in.

Once inside, the sun shone warmly on my face. It felt like 80 degrees and the wind was gentle and sweet. Flowers grew everywhere. It made me think of Hawaii. I sat on the platform and watched fish jump in the river below the waterfall. I bathed in the rich aromas and the music of the falls and warmed myself in the tropical sunshine.

I wanted to stay forever, but I didn’t want to get fired.

When I returned to Midwestern January, I looked at my watch. It was the same time as when I’d gone in. The watch face was violet.

If I am crazy, I don’t care.

January 13, 2006, after work

“Did you go to a tanning place?” my coworkers asked.

“What makes you ask?” I said. They’d never believe I was in Hawaii for an hour.

It seems the places beyond the doorway are real. That means that anything that happens will be real. What if I’m in one of the scenes when it changes? Will I be stuck there? I’ll have to be careful which ones I choose and how long I stay.

P.S. Do unicorns hurt people?

January 14th, 2006, 4:00 in the morning

I couldn’t sleep. I can’t stop thinking about the doorway. I had to go back. It was drizzling, so I sat under the overhang of the building across the street, hugging my knees. It was like watching TV in the dark.

I saw the waterfall scene again, but not the jungle scene. The doorway doesn’t seem to keep a regular pattern.

Is the watch Mom gave me magic? Of course not! Mom is so ordinary. I mean, she’s a good mom, but she wouldn’t give me something magic…would she? Crap, I am going crazy!!!

The amount of time between scenes changes. It isn’t an hour or two hours or any particular time. Each scene lasts for a while and then it’s different. What would happen to me if I were on the other side when it shifted? Would I find myself in the new scene or would I be stuck in the old one?

January 20, 2006, after work

I’m going to watch until I see the waterfall. Then I’m going in. I have my laptop with me. If I’m still on this earth, I should be able to use it.

I stepped through the door. The air smells wonderful. I see rain clouds building. I hope there is some kind of shelter nearby. I’m drip-dry, but my computer isn’t waterproof.

I found a rocky overhang. The clouds poured rain for a few minutes and then the sun came back out. Everything sparkles with diamond raindrops. This place is amazing.

My computer only receives a signal near the doorway. I don’t know if I’m in the real world at all. I’ll see if I can find people. I hope this isn’t my last entry.

January 20, 2006, by the computer - February 10, 2006, by my count of days

It’s been three weeks according to the time we keep here. I watch the sun rise and set and count the days. But when I come back to the doorway to pick up a signal, the date reads the same as it did when I stepped through.

I don’t think I’m on Earth anymore. I sit on the linoleum of the ex-school to connect with the internet. The people are pretty superstitious, so I’m considered a witch or a priestess of the gods because I’m different.

When I first arrived, I followed the path to a village. The houses are simple without modern conveniences. The weather is nearly perfect and food grows on almost every tree.

I was obviously out of place in jeans and tee-shirt carrying a laptop computer. I couldn’t explain what my “village” was like in any way they could understand.

I told them about the doorway. Even when I showed them my computer, they couldn’t comprehend it. There’s no signal, so my story sounds like lies, or perhaps I was demented.

Keoni tried to believe me, but the others are suspicious. He smoothed it over by asking me to tell my stories around the campfire at the end of the day. So I was accepted as a storyteller.

Keoni took me to his sister for appropriate clothing. Once I put on the bright blue and green wrap-around skirt and the halter top Kai gave me, I looked like I was one of them. Once I get calluses on my feet, no one will be able to tell the difference.

I like living here. I like Keoni. I love picking fresh fruit off the trees. Stuff from the grocery store never tasted like this! Life is peaceful and I don’t have to worry about anything.

The only fly in the ointment is Mahina. She’s pretty in her own way, and she’s jealous that Keoni likes me. I think she’s stalking me. It’s a little freaky to be watched all the time.

I’m not sure I’m still on Earth, but as long as I can get to the door, I’m still in touch with my old life whenever I want to be.

January 20, 2006, by the computer – February 12, 2006, by my count

The people gave me my own hut. It’s made of woven branches and reeds for the walls with a thatched roof. The place gives shade without stopping the breezes. There are no cold days. The people are still a little afraid of me because I’m different. The women are teaching me how to live like they do.

I have to watch out for the taboos. You can’t let the shadow of the chief fall on you. A certain flower may only be picked and worn for funerals. The funniest thing to me is that the doorway is one of their places of refuge. If you commit a “sin,” you go to a place of refuge to be safe from punishment. It makes me wonder if some of their people have found a way to come to our world.

Keoni asked me about my computer. I explained to him that people in my world use these machines to record their words. He didn’t understand. So I brought him to the doorway. When I opened the computer, the screen lit up. I could almost see his raven-black hair stand on end. This time when I typed, words showed up on the screen. He freaked.

Now, Keoni thinks I’m a witch just like the rest. If he tells the people what I showed him, they’ll probably push me off the cliff into the ocean or hike me up the volcano. I used to think those movies about offering women to the volcano god was funny, but in this world, I think it’s a very real possibility.

Keoni made me promise that I would never show anyone else what I was doing. He was dead serious. He should see me go through the doorway. Now that would really make me a witch in this community!

January 20, 2006, by the computer – February 14, 2006, by my count

Keoni avoided me yesterday. I worried he was thinking of turning me in. It scares me to think he would end up fearing or hating me.

This morning, Keoni asked me to come with him to a special place. We found ourselves on a ledge overlooking the waterfall. The falls filled my ears with its liquid rumble. We watched for a while, then Keoni turned to look at me. He took both my hands and asked me to marry him. I didn’t answer right away. I want to marry him. How I want to! But am I willing to give up everything and stay here for the rest of my life? I don’t know!! I have to decide. I hate this!

Later on February 14, 2006. Yes, it’s still January 20 over there.

I. M. Is that you, Chalice? You always did remind me of an island native with that long, dark hair and those high cheekbones.

You must be writing this for Lit. class. Aren’t you in Business Calculus with me? Michael, remember? This is some heck of a story! Hey, if I could be on a permanent vacation, I’d do it! Then again – no TV or indoor plumbing, and having to carry water and cook without a microwave, no computer games, no cars. Bummer!

Michael, I remember you. I don’t need any of that stuff. At night, we all get together and have story-telling. Didn’t you ever go on a camp-out and tell ghost stories over the campfire? The food beats college food by miles!! If you were stranded in the most beautiful place ever, wouldn’t you give up the modern stuff and enjoy life?

I.M. I like modern stuff! I wouldn’t mind a good vacation, but I think I’d go crazy if I couldn’t have my stuff. How long could you go without using your laptop? I’ll bet you still have your watch. How do you explain THAT to the natives? More witchcraft?

I’m sitting by the doorway. The temperature is in the upper 70’s, and the sun is shining. I see that you have snow. It barely moves. I guess it’s the time difference. I don’t have to deal with angry customers or annoyed bosses. What’s wrong with a life like this?

I. M. You being accused of witchcraft and thrown in a volcano. Other than that – no sweat! Besides, it isn’t always winter here. We do get spring and summer – upper 70’s and all. Bring your computer back home, and live like normal people. Want to go to dinner and a movie with me tonight?

Keoni just asked me to marry him, and you want to take me out on a date?!

I. M. Let’s say that what you’re writing is real. You go out with me tonight and remind yourself of everything you’d give up. Dinner, a movie, cell phones, a fast car. One time. Don’t you owe yourself that much?

I’ll think about it.

January 20, 2006, late afternoon

I decided to take Michael up on his offer. I had to change back into my old clothes. My coat felt good as I stepped back into my old life. The winter chill went through my sun-warmed bones like a knife.

Michael chose the restaurant. The food was okay, I guess. But when I finished eating, I felt heavy, like I’d poured a can of grease down my throat. What I eat in Keoni’s world tastes clean and satisfying.

Afterwards we saw a movie. I used to love movies filled with adrenaline. Michael took me for ice cream, too. He shared the news from the college campus. To me, I was here four weeks ago; for Michael, the news is all current.

I can’t live like this anymore. I don’t want to go back into the pressure cooker and juggle my schedule for the sake of making tons of money. Nothing here seems as important as it used to. I want to go back.

January 20, 2006, by the computer

I determined to marry Keoni. I changed back into my tropical skirt and halter top to enter village life as if nothing had happened. I went looking for Keoni.

“Chalice!” he exclaimed. He put his hand to his mouth, shock all over his face.

“Are you okay, Keoni?” I asked. “I came to tell you I want to marry you.”

He covered his face with both hands and wept with great wracking sobs. I went to hold him, but he backed away. “Taboo!” he said.

I couldn’t understand why he was suddenly taboo, when just this morning he was asking me to marry him.

“Keoni, what’s wrong?” I asked.

“You were gone for so long,” he said in agony. “I thought you didn’t want to have anything to do with me.” He stopped to take a long, ragged breath. “I married Malina instead.”

“I was only gone for five hours! How could you have gotten married?”

“No, Chalice, you were gone for over a year.” He turned back to the village.

January 20, 2006, real world time

I came back into winter. I have to find a way to live this life again. I hate it!

January 21, 2006, afternoon

I’m sitting across from the doorway. I watched the train and a mountain scene. Everything seems so cold. I don’t want to go back to classes and bosses and customers, to bill-paying and idiot drivers. I don’t want the phone to ring while I’m eating a peaceful meal and find out someone’s trying to sell me lawn service when I don’t even own a lawn.

The scene changed again. It’s the one I first went into with the green cat and the unicorn.

Oh! OH – OH – OH!!! That’s it!!! I’ve got to get into this scene!

I raced across the street and sat down inside the door in the unicorn scene. I have to wait five hours. If I go away from the door, I’ll lose track of time. The green cat is a friendly thing. It crawled up on my lap and laid on top of my computer. Shifting, I pet it with one hand and type with the other. It slows me down, but comforts me while I wait.

I spent about three minutes last I was here. When I got back, the time had gone backwards fifteen minutes. If I stay here for an exact time, I can go back to Keoni’s world before I was there the first time. I’ll hide the computer. I’ll fit in from the beginning. My stories will be the kind that fill their hearts with happiness instead of fear.

Now. I’ve spent the right amount of time in this world. I wave at the unicorn, push the cat off my lap, and sign off – hopefully forever. I know where I belong.

Signed, Chalice

March 25, 2024 19:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.