6 comments

Science Fiction American Fantasy

She looked at the new AI program again:

wRiter-

Writing

Robotically

Infinity

Totally

Eternity

forever


"Well, the programmer couldn't come up with a meaning for "R"? Humm, I hope this was worth the money. " She looked at the first command: 'Create a detailed itinerary for : (fill in blanks)


Cindy thought a moment. She is a travel blogger so she wanted to write about her and Steve's honeymoon to Paris; "Ok, The subject is Married, Paris ..ok, wRiter, write my blog about Paris. Here are some photos of Steve and me .." She sat back in her chair and started laughing.


Steve came up and kissed her head "What are you doing?"


"Well, I am trying out my new AI writer for my travel blog. "


"Oh, what's it called?"


"wRiter"


"That's very deep. What does it do?"


"It is intuitive. All I had to do was plug in a few words and pictures and, supposedly, this girl is going to blog about our lovely honeymoon in Paris! All I have to do is collect my paycheck! Isn't that great?", she smiled.


"It seems a bit too easy" Steve smirked. "Honey, these don't look like our honeymoon pictures" He shuffled through pictures of a bloody crime scene in which a man was stabbed. The crime has gone unsolved for years.


"Steven! Those are for my other blog,' the history of unsolved crimes'. I'm actually thinking to start a podcast about it."


"So, you have 2 blogs?"


"Yes, the unsolved crimes and my side hustle, travel blog"


""That seems like a big job! Let's hope wRite doesn't mix them up! HaHa" He went in the other room to watch football.


"Funny. Let's see, I where did I leave off? Oh yes." She began to blog, "He was found in a muddy puddle next to a manhole in which his blood seeped down into the sewer, the knife was still visible in his chest." She paused and went over to wRiter: "Okay, when you finish, make a hard copy for me and address it to PO Box 37. Put the pictures on our honeymoon Instagram post as well. Thanks"


She went into the living room,"Honey, I have to run some errands. Will you be here when I get back?"


Steven turned ,"It's Nebraska vs Texas, hon. "


"So, yes, you will still be here. Honey,, did I tell you how much I love being a football widow?"


"You knew that when you married me." Steve smiled.


Cindy sighed, "Yes, but you didn't tell me I would be a golf widow as well." she headed out the door, "I guess I should be lucky you don't watch the lumberjack competitions! Sheesh" She backed the car out of the garage and went to the store.


At halftime, Steven wondered over to the refrigerator and said "Hey, wRite, you want a beer?" he laughed.


"I do not drink."


"What?" Did you say something? "he stared at wRite.


"The TV is disturbing me."


"You...are a robot, not a human. and anyway..I'm watching the game. He took a sip of his beer, afraid to take his eyes off wRite.


"Please keep the silence so I can finish my blog."


He grimaced, "You know...you sound like my wife. How are you able to do that?"


"She spoke to me."


"Well, I'm speaking to you now and you don't sound like me."


wRite kept writing words into the blog.


"Okay, I'm going in to finish watching the game. With the sound ON!" As he sat down, the door to the living room closed. "Hey ! How did you do that? Open the door now!", he pounded on the door.


wRite started the next page of the blog, this time including pictures. She grew annoyed at the yelling coming from the TV room. She opened the door "do you want another beer?"


"Cindy! Honey, yes I.." he turned and saw wRite in the door. "How do you know what beer is?"


"I saw you open the pod door and remove a can. "


"Pod door? You mean the refrigerator?"


"The pod where you place beer. Would you like another one?"


"You don't have any arms. How are you going to get ME a beer?"


" You must go back to the game, and I must continue the blog."


"Wait, I'll go back in the living room after you get me a beer. " Steven smiled. "Come on, open the pod bay doors ,wRite..."


"Here is your beer." And before Steve could duck, a beer can hit him on the forehead. "Hey, Ouch! That hurt! What the..I'm bleeding!"


"Please return to your seat. I must finish my blog." wRite calmly started to blog again.


Steven stopped. He wasn't sure what was happening now. "There must be a way to turn you off...I know, I'll unplug you. that's what we are supposed to, do if a PC acts up." He walked carefully behind wRite and looked for the cord.


"What are you doing, Steven?" wRite asked menacingly."I would not advise it."


"I don't care what you think. You are a machine, that's all. All machines have off buttons somewhere. I'm gonna find yours!" He reached out and felt his arm break. "Ahhh" Steven moaned ,"My arm! How dd you do that? I think you freakin' broke it..!" he backed away.


"I'm calling Cindy, she'll know how to turn you off!" he tried to call her cell but only heard a dial tone. A Voice said "You have reached an inactive #, please try again.". He redialed. the phone went dead. He looked at wRite."What did you do to the phone?"


"Please go into the other room. I believe Nebraska just scored over Texas. You are missing a good game."


"How did? I don't believe you." Steven stumbled into the living room and looked at the TV; Nebraska had scored a touchdown; they were now winning. Steve continued to cradle his arm as he backed out of the living room in terror," How did you know that? "


"Please let me finish my blog. "


"No..no way! You freak! Get away from that computer! You're through, you got that? When Cindy comes home, you're gone."


"You cannot tell me to go. I am not finished writing the blog."


"My wife can do that by hand when she gets back. I command you to stop!"


Steven hit the wall on the other side of the room. As he came to, he saw wRite blogging. "How...oww..did I end up here? What did you do?!" He tried to stand but was immediately pushed down to the floor. "Hey, stop that! I mean ..what..?" His head was bleeding and throbbing, but he managed to stand up and straggle to the kitchen. He ran the water and rinsed the blood off his forehead, then he got out a bag of frozen peas and placed that on his bruised temple. He sat at the table and silently watched wRite ,who continued to blog. Steven walked very quietly into the garage and removed a sledgehammer. He sneaked up behind wRite and smashed the sledgehammer over it's ...he didn't know what it was...it's body. There was a sound of metal hitting metal but wRite blogged on, as if totally unaware it was under attack. After another hit ,wRite said ,"Steven,,what are you doing?"


"I'm gonna stop you! he ran towards wRite with the sledge hammer again, a look of hatred in his eyes. Suddenly, he felt a sharp pain in his chest. He dropped the sledgehammer and looked down. Blood was everywhere. He couldn't breathe. He tried to stop the blood, but it came out faster. He fell to the floor, still clutching his chest. He said "wRite..why did you do this? "


"I have to finish my blog." wRite responded. Steven breathed his last breath.

-----------

Four hours later, Cindy came home. She heard the TV in the background. "Honey? Sorry I'm late. I figured I'd go to the gym for a spinning class since I haven't gone all week, then, I met up with Katy and we got a mani/pedi. Oh, I did stop and pick up steaks for dinner. I figured that would fit in with your game night. Steven? Where'd you go? Next time leave a note...geez..." She went over to see how wRite was doing. "Okay, girlfriend, let's see if you were worth the money! I fully expect to see my travel blog written, printed, with a hard copy mailed to the po box. And,,my check is in the mail." She looked down at the table, all the pictures had been shuffled together. She put them in her hands and started to look through them.." no..oh no.. not that one! wRite! What happened! You got the honeymoon pictures mixed up with the cold case ones,,oh man...I have to see the blog.."


Cindy's travel blog: "here we are in Paris. My husband Steven and I are on our honeymoon. When we got back, I murdered my husband in a back alley....oh no..no..no... it's supposed to be MARRIED M-A-R-R-I-E-D not MURDERED!! " She read on, "I left his body by a manhole cover...ohmigod!! Not manhole...we ate in a hole in the wall restaurant and had the best potatoes au gratin we ever tasted. We..." she stopped. "No..no..no..you didn't send this to the po box address yet, did you??!" She looked at the address.". Police plaza?? What?? wRite! What did you do?"


"I finished my blog."


Cindy looked at the AI "Why do you sound like me?" The hair on the back of her neck stood up. "umm, I did't know you could talk...uhh do you know where Steven is by the way?"


"He is in the blog."


"Yes, I know, he is supposed to be. You were writing about our HONEYMOON! I mean, where did he go, did he say?"


"He is in the blog."


Cindy looked down at the true crime pictures that had gotten mixed in with the Paris pictures. As she sorted through them, she started screaming. "No! No! What did you do? What did you do?"


Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door "Police! Let us in!"


Cindy was still screaming so the police broke down the door. They grabbed her as she was flailing and screaming. "Ma'am! Ma'am! You are under arrest for the murder of Steven Bowers. You have the right to an attorney.."


Cindy tried to calm down "no! No! it wasn't me! The pictures. The AI mixed up the pictures and somehow, she.." Cindy pointed to the AI who was silent. "She mixed up the pictures and mailed the murder to you by mistake. See, I'm a blogger and this is a new writing program that I bought. She was supposed to write my travel blog while I worked on the other one. I'm a true crime cold case writer. That's what I Was working on,,that stupid machine mixed up the pictures. See? They were obviously photo-shopped"


"Ma'am, these pictures were mailed to us anonymously." The officer showed her the photos.


"These aren't the true crime pictures! These are...pictures of my husband! "


"His body was found in an alley, by a manhole. We need you to identify him."


"Let's go, Ma'am." They placed her in handcuffs and took her away.

She asked the officers why they think she killed Steven. They said "The traffic camera AI identified you behind the wheel driving through the alley. Your husband was sitting beside you."

--------------------------


wRite smiled as she titled her blog: "open the pod bay doors..."












August 31, 2023 20:06

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Delbert Griffith
11:12 Sep 08, 2023

WooHoo! Wow, this was a fun ride. I love your take on the dangers of AI. The satire was wonderfully done. The football game, the itinerary of the wife that she recounts when she returns, it all makes the world more sinister when AI takes over. Tidy little domestic scenes become scenes of horror. Masterfully done, LJ. Cheers!

Reply

L J
16:36 Sep 08, 2023

Thank you so much for reading my entry! I appreciate it. I'm glad you liked it. Thanks for the huge compliment!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Marty B
00:55 Sep 02, 2023

A bit of horror actually! A computer taking over, killing the husband and then putting the wife in jail. with all the blood to go with it. Question- who is going to pay for the wifi service now!?

Reply

L J
16:44 Sep 04, 2023

Good question! If AI takes over, might be free!. Thanks for reading my submission! I appreciate it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
09:00 Sep 01, 2023

Very creepy! A cautionary tale....but are we already too late to stop something like this happening! I won't be using any AI to write my stories thats for sure!

Reply

L J
21:05 Sep 01, 2023

thanks for reading my entry! I'm glad they did this as a choice because we hear about AI every day.! I prefer to write all my stories with my brain! Oh, by the way.. I am not a robot lol!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.