The Last Supper Surprise Party: Murder/Mystery

Submitted into Contest #242 in response to: Start or end your story with a character who gets trapped inside a museum overnight.... view prompt

17 comments

Crime Drama Mystery

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

This is a complete satire, not intended to mock religion. I meant to enter this in: Write about a gallery whose paintings come alive at night. oops!


On the evening of April 6th, 30 AD, chaos ensued during an impromptu farewell dinner party. A hidden underground chamber hosted a jubilant soirée beneath the renowned Louvre Museum. The celebratory evening took a sinister turn as it transformed into a horrifying murder scene. The guests, driven by an overwhelming desire to uncover the culprit among them, were determined to solve the mysterious crime.


The night began when the Louvre gallery’s lights faded to black. Mr. Dahli flipped the sign on the door, reading closed. Greeting him as he stepped outside was a stunning display of swirling hues. Cobalt blue, incandescent yellow, and verdant green intermingled in the starry sky, resembling confetti. The stars twinkled like a celestial choir, harmonizing with his melodic whistle. Their mystical light illuminated the sky. He followed the otherworldly glow as it led him back home. Unease settled over him as he walked. He suspected he might have left the doors unlocked or the lights on.


Behind the museum's closed doors, three distorted clocks with persistent memories chimed seven or eight times, sounding garbled. The hands of the clock resembling molten lava melted across the front desk. The time dissolved and spread across the ornate chairs and marble floor.


Across the way, bustling activity filled the refectory of Monastero di San Lorenzo. The atmosphere was a mix of intense excitement and underlying unease, capturing the poignant moment. Fragrant scents of yeast, toasted grains, melted butter, roasted meats, and aromatic herbs wafted through the air, tantalizing and mouthwatering.


Shouting in the grand chamber, Andrew exclaimed, Almost eight! He fidgeted, holding a torch, and lit the remaining candles on the grand table. This useless lighter won’t work! He exclaimed, slamming it down on the table in frustration.


Moonlight streamed through the windows, casting a radiant glow on the refectory. The flickering candles created a serene ambiance despite the commotion in the chamber. To hell with it all, Peter mutters. He opens a bottle of Chianti and starts guzzling it from the lip of the wicker vessel, feeling annoyed. With red-stained lips, Peter exclaims, This is an absolute catastrophe.


John and Philip emerged from the kitchen, coughing and struggling to breathe, while a cloud of smoke engulfed them. The room fell silent. We still have bread, John says, cowering behind Philip, hoping nothing was flying at his head through the air. A raucous ensued.


Bartholomew stomped his foot. You need to pull yourself together. Guests will arrive at any moment. This night is supposed to be a celebration. Quit fighting like gladiators in the Munera.


Thomas and Matthew rushed to the door as the bell chimed to greet their first guest. Welcome, Mona. It brings me great joy to have you! Thomas said, escorting the introspective and ethereal figure through the door.


With an enigmatic smile hinting at hidden secrets and unspoken feelings, Mona thanked her hosts for the kind invitation. After Mona, guests flooded through the door. Peter appreciated the guests’ punctuality because the guest of honor was due to appear soon.


The young ladies of Avignon huddled in a corner. Nadira Mbali embodied the fierce spirit of independence by wearing splendid tribal patterns inspired by Africa. Her clothing celebrated her heritage.


Isabella Ramos’s distinct and striking features drew Nadira into deep conversations. They explored the complexities of womanhood and society’s limiting expectations. Isabella’s words were sharp and precise, dissecting human emotions with a scalpel. She challenged societal norms and conventions.


Sophia Calderón’s avant-garde Cubist aesthetic captivated guests. Her fragmented and distorted forms shattered conventional ideas of representation. The quirky style invited viewers to critically examine their perceptions of reality, immersing them in an intriguing and thought-provoking experience.


Eva Serrano radiated confidence and sensuality. Her unapologetic sexuality defied societal expectations of modesty and control. Eva fearlessly moved her body across the chambers like a dancer. She hobnobbed with guests while challenging preconceived notions of femininity and inviting them to confront their inhibitions.


Carmen Reyes emerged while concealing her face with a mask. Her fearless advocacy for women’s rights and empowerment was her prime topic of discussion. Against patriarchy, she wielded her words as weapons, her voice as sharp as her wit. In each debate, she advocated for gender equality. Carmen’s unwavering commitment to justice and the refusal of silence symbolized strength and resilience.


With a mesmerizing display of ethereal beauty, Venus, the goddess of love, revealed her presence. Her allure transcended the limitations of the mortal realm. The enchanting depths of her ocean-blue eyes mirrored the boundless compassion and understanding that resided within her soul. As she mingled, she commanded attention with her statuesque figure, which exuded sensuality and strength. A charismatic and enigmatic lad, Adam flirted with Venus by boasting about his creation. The confidence in the mastery of his anatomy and intricate details evoked awe and inspiration in Venus. Adam’s charm was undeniable, with piercing blue eyes that held untold stories. He witnessed her captivating charm and inner radiance, which mesmerized him. She offered solace and ignited the flames of passion within his heart. Venus was captivated by his brilliant mind, filled with insatiable curiosity and a humble demeanor.


Isabella Fontaine was a ravishing and imaginative woman. Her demeanor enchanted Alessandro Fiore. They bonded over their shared passion for art. As they embraced, their love and desire for each other became apparent with every gentle stroke of her hair. Their passion reflected the love that burns within their hearts, and their souls became forever entwined in The Kiss, heard worldwide.


The guests surrounded a group of dogs dressed in human clothing playing poker around a table. The dogs were all engaged in the game when a raven flew to the skylight, warning the guests that their guest of honor was nearing.


Peter gathered the guests in the middle of the chamber, and as the doors opened, everyone yelled, SURPRISE, Jesus!


Jesus paused, blushing with shock. He relished the moment, his kind eyes reflecting his deep compassion for everyone present. His serene and benevolent face radiated a sense of divine wisdom and love. Long, flowing hair and a well-groomed beard complemented his appearance. He moved across the marble floors elegantly, showcasing his spiritual authority and transcendence while wearing a modest billowing garment extending to the ground.


After removing the plum cloak draped over his shoulders, he adjusted the sash around his waist. Everyone present was crowded around Jesus, eager to touch the hem of his garment or bask in his presence. When he spoke, he filled the room with awe and reverence. His words carried a weight of profound wisdom and grace. His eyes sparkled with kindness, drawing everyone in. The atmosphere shifted as a sense of peace and hope enveloped the room.


Peter gathered the guests around the table, rallying them to make a toast. He held up his goblet and said, To the man who brings light and love wherever he goes. May he bless all with his presence on the road that he ventures forth on. The Louvre will miss you, Jesus.

To everyone’s dismay, John and Philip stood and announced that their dinner had gone awry. They’d only be serving bread and butter. James the Younger ran around filling everyone’s glasses with wine to ease the tension caused by the unexpected change in dinner plans.


Eliza Hawthorne stood out among the guests with serene strength and unwavering determination. Her piercing eyes, reminiscent of the golden hues of an autumn sky, mirrored her inner fortitude. Her hair, arranged in a bun, complemented her firm lips. They exuded an air of stoicism and resolve that belied her delicate features.

In his convictions, Henry stayed steadfast with a few words. He gazed at the crowd with eyes resembling the roots of an ancient oak tree that shaded their farmhouse. He silently stood beside Eliza as she extended her invitation with effortless grace. She declares, We propose to share the bounty of our garden, inviting everyone to partake in the fresh vegetables outside in our cart.


With his broad shoulders and hands roughened by years of manual labor, Henry showcases his physical prowess. They embodied rugged masculinity and muted strength as he reached for a piece of bread. Eliza’s hands, calloused from years of hard work on the family farm, coaxing life from the fertile soil, handed him the warm butter.


Laughter and chatter filled the room. Everyone enjoyed the simple meal and each other’s company. Wine flowed with the harmonious chatter, celebrating Jesus.


Emilia Munch interrupted the chatter by wailing a piercing scream, which reverberated through the refectory like shattering glass. Fear and existential angst etched anxiety across her porcelain skin. Her haunting beauty and piercing green eyes conveyed a profound sense of terror.


Everyone gathered around curiously to see a nude woman lying on a couch covered in blood.


Judas Iscariot declares that someone among them is the menaced assassin. The group exchanges nervous glances, unsure of whom to trust. Suspicions grow, causing the once warm and inviting atmosphere to turn cold and tense. Iscariot’s accusation lingers, casting a shadow over the joyous gathering.


With unwavering resolve and dignity, Margaret Whitaker started whistling an eerie tune as she rocked in her chair. Despite facing hardships, she exuded tranquility and grace. Her silver hair was pulled back tight in a bun, and her hands were folded in her lap. Though tired and worn from years of worry, Margaret’s eyes sparkled with muted intelligence as if she knew something. Her calm demeanor drew others to her, commanding their attention.

As the evening wore on, whispers of suspicion and curiosity circulated among the guests. Margaret’s enigmatic presence had drawn them all in, and unease settled over the room as they awaited her next move.


Emilia Munch wailed a piercing scream out of nowhere again. The scream reverberated through the refectory like shattering glass. Fear etched her porcelain skin with anxiety and existential angst. Her haunting beauty and piercing green eyes again convey a profound sense of terror.


With a sense of exacerbation, Mona Lisa wonders, “What is it now?” Her face changes, adorned with a tapestry of emotions that flows with each fleeting moment, captivating all who dared to bask in her presence. Mona Lisa possesses the uncanny ability to cloak her thoughts and feelings in an aura of mystery. Intrigued, all the guests surround her.


The girl with the pearl earring only wears one, stuttered Emila Munch. Behold, it is right there, she said, pointing to the lifeless woman. Underneath her body, a pearl sparkled, unraveling a clue. Munch’s discovery challenged the guests to confront their wildest fears. Emilia epitomized the situation with anxiety and the human condition. She reminded everyone of their shared vulnerabilities in the situation. The need for camaraderie and understanding in this tragic moment was undeniable, urging immediate action.


The girl with the pearl earring reached up to cover her bare ear. Her delft was sublime and mysterious. The girl’s modest, dark-colored gown and her long chestnut hair exuded strength and resilience. But her piercing blue eyes divulged her guilt, unveiling her hidden desire and rebellion against societal expectations.

Show us your matching earrings said the bulldog, wearing a top hat and a monocle. A terrier in a tuxedo, a dachshund in a sweater vest, and a golden retriever in a baseball cap chimed in. Where is your missing trinket, yeah? They quipped and resumed the game of poker to bet on whodunnit.


Admitting her guilt, Emilia, the intelligent and keen girl with the opal accessory, takes responsibility. She knew escaping this blunder would be impossible. Her eyes reflect the depth of her inner turmoil and dreams. Envy clouded my vision, distorting my perception of reality, she cried.


At a nearby diner, a police officer was consoling a young boy who had run away from home. Out of nowhere, his walkie-talkie crackled to life, notifying him of a homicide in progress. The officer rushed to the scene, apprehending the girl with the missing pearl earring believed to be involved in the murder. The situation’s urgency demanded swift action, and the officer quickly secured the suspect.


Jesus blessed her as she repented of her sins and was hauled off to Artemisia Gentileschi Prison for high-risk female offenders in Surrey. His compassion grew as he saw the remorse in her eyes, knowing she was just a victim of circumstances. As she left in handcuffs, he committed to visiting her and helping her turn her life around. Emilia looked back at the kind-hearted man with tears streaming down her face, grateful for his compassion during her darkest moment. She vowed to make amends for her past mistakes and to strive for a better future.


With a determined spirit, Jesus watched the girl with the pearl earring disappear out the door, vowing to guide her toward redemption. The scene touched the police officer’s heart, sparking a glimmer of hope in his chest. Perhaps the girl’s story will have a different ending with the Savior by her side.


A sense of unease lingered in Mr. Dahli’s mind as he rattled his keys in the museum’s front door. He meticulously inspected the premises, ensuring every door was locked and the lights were extinguished. When the last switch flipped, a surprise gasp reverberated through the room. The startled guests scampered, their footsteps echoing in the deserted halls.

March 20, 2024 05:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

17 comments

Jorge Soto
12:34 Mar 29, 2024

Glad to see the gambling dogs made the cut! My uncle kept a print above his fireplace haha. Great read!

Reply

E.L. Lallak
16:13 Apr 02, 2024

That's awesome!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
S.L Neptune
15:59 Mar 27, 2024

I love how you made a story off of a real historical painting. Very well done!

Reply

Liz Lallak
18:03 Mar 27, 2024

Thanks:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Paul Simpkin
08:18 Mar 27, 2024

Such a clever concept for a story. Full of imaginative ideas. Enjoyable read!

Reply

E.L. Lallak
14:12 Mar 27, 2024

Why thank you Paul:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Graham Kinross
02:50 Mar 24, 2024

I like the twist on this and that you weren’t afraid to tackle it when people can be sensitive about their religion. Well done.

Reply

E.L. Lallak
04:20 Mar 24, 2024

Yah, saying, SURPRISE JESUS, was interesting to write. HA! Thanks bud.

Reply

Graham Kinross
07:27 Mar 24, 2024

You’re welcome.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Darvico Ulmeli
22:40 Mar 23, 2024

Great imaginations. Like the idea. Had fun reading it.

Reply

E.L. Lallak
23:20 Mar 23, 2024

Thanks Pal:)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kristi Gott
06:22 Mar 23, 2024

Very immersive and compelling, with uniquely creative characterizations and an original concept approach. Pace, vivid imagery and descriptive details are very skillful. An imaginative approach for the story prompt.

Reply

E.L. Lallak
21:41 Mar 23, 2024

Thanks Kristi! This was a fun prompt.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
13:40 Mar 21, 2024

Ethereal details of a host of famous guests but I question the date. Jesus could have been there no matter what century. Thanks for liking my fable. Caught that but was wondering how all the others made it there before their time. Thanks for liking my 'When Will We Ever Learn '.

Reply

E.L. Lallak
18:32 Mar 21, 2024

Oh! April 6th, 30 AD, was the date of the Last Supper in the painting. Where the party happened.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
13:20 Mar 20, 2024

Your gift for sumptuous imagery really shines in this piece. So creative. I love the rich detail and the air of mystery in this piece. Great job !

Reply

E.L. Lallak
23:21 Mar 20, 2024

Thanks, Stella. You're a peach.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.