The Land of Opportunity

Submitted into Contest #207 in response to: Set your story in the kitchen of a bustling restaurant.... view prompt

10 comments

American Contemporary Fiction

Salvador leaned over the sink to rest his aching back.

"We need more glasses," shouted Steve as he pushed his way through the swinging door. Salvador filled another metal tray with glasses and lifted it into the dishwasher. He adjusted the bandana he had tied on his sweating forehead. The spray of hot water and the heat from the giant grills was almost unbearable. He only made ten dollars a hour. He was paid in cash no questions asked. Salvador was one of the lucky ones, and he knew it. He had a job and made enough money to rent a tiny apartment. Some of his friends who had crossed the border with him were living on the streets and had no work.

America was definitely not what he and his fellow travelers had imagined. He wondered daily if he had made the right decision coming here. Juanita, his wife, had to clean office buildings at night to afford necessities for their expected baby. He worried about her safety at work, and walking through their neighborhood in the dark.

But he was one of the lucky ones.

Salvador understood more English than he spoke. He didn't say. much and kept his head down and did his job. When he was given a break, he kept to himself and ate his free meal that came with the job. His one good meal per day. Some days his boss would give him extra to take home to Juanita. Most days he bought her food on his way home. Food to keep her and the baby healthy.

He loved coming home. Juanita had turned a tiny cheap apartment into a home. They slept on a mattress on the floor, but she had covered it with bright colored sheets and a comforter which made it inviting. They had a card table and two chairs she had found at a second hand store. Juanita had cleaned the owner's house in exchange for the furniture. They found a couch that had been put out with the trash. She cleaned and cleaned it until it looked almost new. They had a radio whose music blocked out the noise from the streets. There was a small crib in the corner half filled with baby supplies they had saved and scrounged for. When Salvador was home he felt loved, safe, and happy.

Days were long and exhausting; the kitchen was hot and money didn't go far. The lunch rush was the worst. El Tapito Restaurant was right in the middle of the business section of the city. Skyscrapers and office buildings surrounded them; that meant hundreds of hungry office workers. El Tapito was always crowded but lunch time was a nightmare. They couldn't get orders out fast enough, everyone was tense and impatient, and Salvador could barely keep up with the dishes.

Tuesday in the middle of the lunch rush, Gilbert, the head chef, grabbed his chest, shouted, and fell to the floor. All motion froze in the kitchen. As each waiter came in the door he became part of the eerie scene. Salvador rushed to Gilbert's side.

"Call for help!" he demanded. He felt for a pulse, there was none. Gilbert's face began to turn bluish. Salvador got into position and began CPR. The crowd in the kitchen remained frozen. Salvador continued CPR until he thought his arms would fall off. The sound of sirens made him smile. Paramedics rushed in and took over the patient. Salvador staggered out to the alley, sat on the curb and sobbed. He had taken CPR and University when he could afford to go. This reminded him of his life before America. Before the long trek, and the reality of poverty, past, present and future.

The back door flew open and one of the cooks shouted,"You need to get in here and help us. Do you know how to cook? Step up to the grill and I will tell you what to do." Salvador had no time to wipe his tears or think about the heat or the cacophony around him. He focused on the instructions he was receiving in his left ear. He just kept moving and drawing on strength he didn't know he had.

Finally the rush was over. Salvador turned around to see a mountain of dirty dishes. He began loading the first try.

The door to the dining room sprang open. The owner stomped into the kitchen. "Where is the man of the hour?" Everyone looked at Salvador. Salvador had no idea what man of the hour meant. The owner stepped up to him. "Let me shake your hand. I hear you are a hero. Not only did you know how to do CPR on poor Gilbert, but you helped cook lunch and here you are washing dishes. Starting tomorrow you are a cook. That means your salary is doubled. You will receive two meals a day instead of one." The owner was speaking so fast Salvador didn't catch it all but he could tell it was good news. "And furthermore, I will do the rest of the dishes and you have the rest of the day off." Everyone in the kitchen cheered.

Salvador practically ran home, carrying the two deluxe meals he had been given. He couldn't wait to share his news with Juanita. She would be able to stay home with the baby. Salvador and Juanita sat on their almost new couch and ate ravenously.

The next day Salvador went to work whistling and smiling. He was given a white coat like the other cooks, everyone in the kitchen greeted him by name. The boss thanked him again, and handed him an envelope. The boss read it to Salvador, Please bring your wife and come to see me in the hospital. Sincerely, Gilbert.

Salvador was nervous as he approached Gilbert's bed. Gilbert grabbled his hand and with tears pouring down his face, thanked Salvador for saving his life. "I understand you are living on Mason Street, that's no place to raise a baby. I own an apartment that just happens to be empty. You and your wife can have it free as long as you choose to live there. If it wasn't for you I would have died! When I get well I am going to make you the best cook ever. Perhaps we'll own our own restaurant someday."

As Salvador and Juanita walked hand in hand down the hospital corridor, Salvador thought, Maybe the opportunity here doesn't come from the land but from the people.

July 15, 2023 21:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

08:00 Jul 23, 2023

'Heartwarming' seems to be getting old for this story, but it's a must-say comment. Loved it! 'Maybe the opportunity here doesn't come from the land but from the people'. I just love that line. Perfect. (Would love to see an octopus story from you sometime soon😉🐙)

Reply

Joan Wright
17:29 Jul 25, 2023

Thanks so much, I'll work on that octopus story for you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Sarah Saleem
17:54 Jul 27, 2023

Very emotional story, the ending really touched me.

Reply

Joan Wright
21:16 Jul 27, 2023

Thanks so much for commenting. I'm glad you were touched!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Amanda Lieser
13:11 Jul 25, 2023

What a sweet story, Joan. I could certainly see all of the layers of these characters-their diverse and stories pasts, the way they hold themselves in the dignity of their work. Perhaps, when we least expect it, we are given the true call to action to change our lives and others’. Nice work with this one. I love a happy ending.

Reply

Joan Wright
17:28 Jul 25, 2023

Thanks so much. Love your comments.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michelle Oliver
00:14 Jul 23, 2023

So sweet and heartwarming. Opportunity comes from people who care enough to care. A lovely moral, a story that reminds us to all look out for our our fellow man.

Reply

Joan Wright
17:29 Jul 25, 2023

So glad you liked it. Thanks for reading it and tasking the time to comment.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
David Sweet
13:57 Jul 22, 2023

What a heartwarming story! Thanks for sharing. It is hopeful to think that there could be opportunities like this for desperate people. I see you are a retired elementary teacher. I retired last year from teaching HD and am also trying my hand at writing. Best of luck to you!

Reply

Joan Wright
18:06 Jul 22, 2023

and good luck to you as you delve into a new adventure. It's truly challenging, but a great way to stimulate your brain. Glad you like my story. I was working for "heartwarming".

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.