The Figure In The Streets Of Oaktrunk

Submitted into Contest #102 in response to: Write about a mysterious figure in one’s neighborhood.... view prompt

1 comment

Fantasy

This story starts in the quaint little town of Oaktrunk. The residents of Oaktrunk were mystical and extremely magical creatures, such as: Elves, Gnomes, Forest Pixies and Rock Pixies.


They used to live in harmony until the gnomes and elves turned against their supposed friends and attacked the pixies, leading to the extinction of pixies.


Until now!


You walk into the town of Oaktrunk and look around to what used to be a quaint town and now looks like a earthquake had repeatedly hit. There were cracks in the houses and a large crack down the middle of the one cobble path leading into the town. You see long vines that have grown a few single grapes and large patches of green moss scattered all over the town.


You hear muffled breaths along with muffled cries but you don't see anything out of the ordinary. Uncontrollably your feet move towards a patch of dirt that seems to have been dug out. You brush some of the dirt away with your hands which reveals a wooden trapdoor made out of oak with small handle made from carved oak wood.


The handle seems to have been made for pixies to go through for the fact that you could barely fit two fingers (middle and pointer) through.


Suddenly a cold breath runs from your neck down your spine, it feels like thousands of ice shards impaling your skin- in a flash you turn around only to realize that the cold breath was coming from a translucent figure from across the cobble path. The figure was ghost like and emotionless.


"Hello? Who are you? What do you want?" You say with a slight stutter.


"HELLO!" You yell with no stutter this time.


The figure says nothing and instead approaches you with a faster pace than you thought. You back away a few steps and hit a house made from the trunk of a great tree. The figure gets closer until it's only a few centimetres away- it passes right through you!


"Save them. SAVE THEM! SAVE THEM!" The figure said in a cold tone as it backed away from you.


"Save them? Save Who?" You reply very confused at this whole situation.


"The pixies of course!" The figure says followed by:


"Save them! Save Them! Before you're too late!" The figure says before vanishing into thin air.


Shocked, you freeze to your spot like you've been fully paralyzed- unable to move a muscle. In what felt like forever but was really one minute, you feel movement flow through your body and soon you regain your motion.


As soon as you're able to move again the muffled noises flow into your ears and turn into piercing screams. You manage stifle the noise by plugging your ears with your plump fingers. The problem is that the noise is already bouncing around playfully in your brain. You take out your plump fingers out of your ears and the noise slowly fades into silence. You're relieved and remember the figure's words as well as the small trapdoor you found earlier.


Hesitant on whether you should open it or not, you hear muffled voices again. Bending down to the tiny handle, you wrap your two fingers around the handle and try to pull- the first try is unsuccessful- the second time is unsuccessful- the third try is also unsuccessful coming to the conclusion that pulling the trapdoor won't work, you stomp very hardly on the trapdoor. It gives in- literally.


Underneath is a hole smaller than your foot, you know you're not going to be able to go down. You're deciding whether to try and squeeze through or leave Oaktrunk forever and forget about every little thing about this town.


In a moments notice a swarm of greenish-brownish pixies as well as some grey pixies.


These of course were the forest and rock pixies after being trapped, presumed extinct.


A gust of wind blows you to the ground; getting up is hard as multiple gusts follow. A large whoosh is heard and then a large dome with a hexagon pattern emerges. It seems like a great, mighty shield protecting the land of Oaktrunk.


They attack your face and gave you several scratches, especially around your two eyes and three on your lips. Your eyes and lips swell up to the size of raspberries, making it hard to see.


You can't see the pixies but you hear their little wings buzzing away into the distance- assuming they flew away into the forest and mountains you try to feel your way around to get a chance to talk to the figure.


"Hello! Ghost Person!" You say through swollen lips.


"Yes?" A quiet feminine voice said from behind you.


"Oi!"


"Yes?"


You hear another quiet feminine voice from behind you, this time you turn around and look the figure in the eyes.


"Gulp! I think I freed them!" You say scared, motionless.


"Indeed...indeed you have." The figure says.


"And...as a reward I will give you a charm."


"A charm, what for?" You say as it hands you a charm that very closely resembles a large oak tree.


"Thanks, I guess?" You say fighting the idea that you might be going insane.


"It will help you when you are truly in need."


"What's this force-?" You start but don't finish as the figure had disappeared once again.


You brush this off by chuckling and putting the charm in your jean pocket. There is a sudden glow coming from your pocket as well as a force pulling you to the ground, then nothing, the glow stops and everything goes back to normal.


"Yes, It does that when there is danger nearby." The figure's voice says.


"Oi! Stop appearing behind me!"


"And...what do you mean by danger?"


"It seems like everything is fine!" You say.


"It gets stronger when the person is close." The figure says just as the charm glows stronger again.


After the figure disappears the charm stops glowing and now you're even more confused and scared.


By this point you're even certain you're going insane and except the fate that was chosen for you. With the vision you have left from the unfortunate pixie attack, you decide to feel your way out of this quaint little town.


THE END

July 15, 2021 01:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Keith Manos
00:33 Jul 22, 2021

Using the second personal pronoun POV is an ambitious way to tell a story. The story has a definite arc, and this is the first time I’ve read about pixie characters. Very cool!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.