0 comments

Fiction

Pain

Pain is what falls like rain. Never ending like a train. It kills, it maims. It's got too many names. And it’s got fame. That’s just lame. It makes one cry. We all want to try, to get through that pain from time to time. That’s my line of rhyme. Pains got to make an impression, so it shows through depression. It’s like fear, it makes it feel like the millionth year. Seconds go by that feel like hours, we need to feel the power. But we can’t we’re stuck in a trance. Unable to fight through it, got to tell you the truths. We’re all dead inside, just like the tides. The water is rising, but we can’t swim cause we’re all dying. Pain leaves scars, deep as the stars. But we’re all beautiful just the way we are. Pain goes a little too far. Pushing us over the edge all the way to the dead. That’s the dread.



Honesty Brings Love

              “… and your family?” The officer asked her gently. He was young, nearly her own age. She stared at him from the hospital bed as he chewed on his pen, glasses askew.

              “My family is dead,” she answered, her throat burning and her eyes welling with tears. Why couldn’t she just be like everyone else, she thought over and over again, while staring at the ceiling answering everyone's questions. Every question being answered honestly, as they should know from the research they did on her; she couldn’t tell a lie. They found her half dead in the bottom of a ditch, all because of her honesty. Why did she have to be so honest with everyone that it had nearly gotten her killed, why did she have to be so honest that now she would end up somewhere that she didn’t want to be?

              “What about distant relatives?” He proposed, suggesting that there might be someone that she could go to. But she knew that no one in her family was still alive for they had all died of the same cause; their honesty. They had all been murdered for being too honest and the fact that they all faced the same cursed gift left them all dead. One day she would die too, maybe one day soon.

              “Dead too,” She whispered quietly, blinking and looking away from the officer who had made it something of importance to look right into her eyes. He had lovely eyes, she couldn’t help thinking, they were light green with blue specks throughout, making a lovely sea green hue. And yet, she couldn’t keep her eyes on him when she said this because she was ashamed of herself for being able to say such a thing so calmly, so easily. She hated the gift that her family had been given her and she hated the way that she had to live with it. To her it was just a curse and a bad one too. It had killed too many people and she did not want to be next, although sometimes she wished that she would just die so that she didn’t have to deal with curse anymore. “I have no one,” She said at last, breaking the silence that had filled the room in the few minutes that she had been deep in thought, thinking of her family and the many ways that they had died, and the curse of which sat upon her shoulders to live with.

              “Well, you’re too young to be going off on your own and you don’t have any money in the first place,” the officer said putting his little notebook away and tucking his pencil in his pocket. “Do you know anyone, anyone at all, who could take you in?” He said the words so gently and so softly that it was unlike anything of which she had ever heard from a man like him, being so tall and stocky.

              “No one I can trust,” she said biting her lip and swallowing hard. She felt as though she were swallowing a rock, large with sharp cutting edges. She knew she had no one, no one at all and that somehow, she would have to find a way to get through it, without ending up somewhere she didn’t want to be.

              “Girl, you are too young to be going off on your own,” The Officer said frowning in deep concentration. “I’m gonna have to call the Chief.” The girl froze, she did not want to be left alone right now and she did not want to listen to him talk about going to a home with strangers, whom would soon find it hard not to get angry with her for always being honest.

              “Wait!” She shouted, she didn’t want him to leave. It was comforting having someone else in the room with her rather than laying in the hospital bed alone, staring up at the ceiling, waiting for one of the nurses to come by and check in on her so she could say that she wanted the TV on or that she wanted something to read. She had no one to come and visit her but the occasional reporter or officer like this one, but she didn’t want him to leave, she felt different around this one. He turned to her his brow raised questioningly. “I don’t want to be left here alone again.” She was nearly crying now as she looked into his lovely eyes while her own fogged with tears.

              “Well… I suppose I can make the call in here,” He said, rubbing the back of his head nervously. She looked away carefully in time for him to pull the phone out of his pocket and dial for his boss.

              “But I don’t want that either,” She muttered to herself just loud enough for the officer to hear, “I don’t want to hear you talking about me ending up in some home with strangers or living on my own with you coming and checking on me every few days. I just couldn’t stand that.” Her voice rose as she spoke until she was sobbing, her head in her hands and the officer beside her staring bewildered and overwhelmed by the sudden onslaught of words.

              He paused, ending the call, and sat down in the chair beside her, putting his own head in his hands. “I suppose…” He began, muttering through cupped hands, “You could come stay with me. How does that sound?” He lifted his head at the same time as her to see that she was smiling, and a smile was beginning to form on his own face.

              “I would love to!” She exclaimed, and then the words seemed to flow out like a river, “Oh how I would love to. I really like you and well, you seem nice enough, you have a good personality, and you could come to like me too. I enjoy looking into your eyes, so green and lovely. They are mesmerizing and I just love looking into them. You are different you know; you make me feel comfortable when normally I feel so uncomfortable around the other reporters and well… your different.” She stopped, there was nothing more she could say but she felt as though there were more for her to say. The officer stood there staring at her seemingly hypnotized by her words.

              “And I thought I was the only one,” he finally said, shaking his head and grinning wildly, he stood and pulled her into his arms, “I thought I was the only one who felt that way. You can come live with me for now. But I still have to talk to the chief and such.”

              “I don’t care about that anymore just as long as I get to stay with you,” She said happily, she had fallen in love so easily, so quickly with someone she hardly knew just from talking to him for an hour. She smiled to herself happily. Oh, how she would enjoy getting to know him. And that was what her own honesty got her, and she never could lie but how happy she was just for her honesty.

January 16, 2021 03:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.