A Journey's End

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

1 comment

American Kids Happy

“Is this seat taken?”

“Huh?”

“May I sit here?”

“Oh, uh, sure, I guess.”

“Thank you.”

“Sure.”

“Going somewhere?”

“Um…yeah.”

“I thought so. That’s a pretty big suitcase you got there. Must be a long trip.”

“Yeah.”

“A little young to be embarking on such a journey, aren’t you?”

“I’m nine and half. I can take care of myself.”

“I see. Well, it’s nice to hear the young children of the day are taking responsibility for themselves. I don’t think my grandkids are nearly as mature as you are.”

“Thank you. I’m moving to Chicago.”

“Ah, a wonderful city. Been there many times.”

“Really?”

“Yes. I travel all over the country for work. I’ve probably been to Chicago a dozen times or more. Lots of adventure there…and lots of danger as well. You may want to consider that.”

“I’m not afraid of anything.”

“Oh, I’m sure you’re very brave. Headstrong little boys often are. However, the world is a very big place. Lots of ways to get into trouble out on your own. Even a courageous lad like you.”

“I won’t be alone once I get to Chicago. I’m looking for someone.”

“Oh? Well, that’s a relief. Here I was thinking you were running away from home.”

“I am.”

“Mm. Had a feeling. I did that when I was about your age, you know.”

“Really?”

“Oh, yes! I lived on a big family farm in Virginia, but I was tired of it all. Keeping a farm going requires a lot of hard work and early mornings. I hardly had time to be a kid. I wanted adventure. So I packed my things and sneaked out in the middle of the night.”

“Then what happened?”

“I made it as far as the train station and realized I didn’t have any money.”

“You went to a train station?”

“Hey, this was close to 65 years ago. Buses didn’t go as far, and automobiles hadn't been invented yet."

“Oh.”

“Yes. So anyway, I couldn’t afford to get anywhere. I figured I’d just be a stowaway then. I hopped into the caboose with all the luggage and hid inside a big trunk. Once I felt the train moving, I crawled out and there was the conductor, staring right at me.”

“Oh no.”

“’Oh no’ is right! He pulled me up by my ears and dragged me to the back of the train. I was too stunned to even plead for mercy. The train slowed down a bit as it passed through a grassy meadow, and with one big shove, the conductor pushed me off the back of the train!”

“What?!?! He kicked you off the train?”

“He sure did!” I went tumbling on the ground for a while. It made me very dizzy. Once I got my bearings again, I looked for my suitcase. It had broken apart, so I had to gather everything and tie it into a makeshift bundle. I didn’t know where I was, I had a nasty bump on my head, and had no idea where to go.”

“Did you give up and go home?”

“Heavens, no! In the 12 hours since I had left home, I had found the excitement and adventure I wanted, and I wasn’t going to give that up for anything. I just started walking.”

“Where were you going”

“In the direction the train had gone. I figured there must be something that way, or else a train full of people wouldn’t be going there. So, I kept walking and walking. When it got dark, I slept underneath a tree. And in the morning, I started walking again. I never saw anyone, not even another train. I was all alone. I was tired and hungry. And lost. I didn’t really know where I was going.”

“Did you find someone?”

“No, not exactly. Someone found me. A group of boys about 10 years older than me. They took care of me and in turn I helped them.”

“What did you help them do?”

“Rob houses.”

“But, but that’s wrong!”

“Yes, it is. But I did it anyway because it was exciting. And because those boys became my family. People will do anything for family, you know.”

“Yeah, I know. Did…did you ever go back home?”

“Yes, when I was 26 years old.”

“You were gone for that long?”

“I was. I was too ashamed to go home after I had run away. I had become a thief, a bad person. I didn’t think my family would want me back after that. But guess what? They did.”

“They did?”

“Absolutely. When I walked up to the farm for the first time again, my baby sister was sitting on the front porch, though now she had a baby of her own in her arms. She came rushing to me and gave me such a big hug I thought I was going to suffocate right then and there.”

“My family wouldn’t do that. I don’t have a sister. I don’t even have a papa. That’s why I’m leaving.”

“I see, so you’re looking for someone else in Chicago to be your family?”

“No, I’m looking for my real family in Chicago. My papa lives there. My mama told me a long time ago that he was a baseball player there. I just need to get there and find him. If I buy a ticket to a game, I know he’ll see me.”

"How can you be sure?"

“He’s my father! He must recognize me! And I have to find him! He’s the only one who—”

“The only one who, what?”

“He’s the only one who’s left to take care of me.”

“I thought you said you could take care of yourself.”

“Well, yes, but I don’t want to. I’ve never seen my papa. Mama says he went away to play baseball so he could take care of us. But we couldn't go with him. So we stayed home. But now Mama is gone. So I have to find my papa! I don't want to be left alone.”

“Oh dear. And I was trying to convince you to go right back home.”

“Huh?”

“I told you that story, I wanted you to see that running away was foolish. But now I see you really don’t have a choice.”

“I just want to find my papa.”

“Hmm. What’s your papa’s name?”

“John Henry Lloyd.”

“Wait, what did you say?”

“John Henry Lloyd. Do you know him?!?!?”

“Oh, sorry, no. But I follow the Negro baseball leagues with a passion. One of those boys I used to run with grew up to be a pretty good first baseman.”

“Then you could help me find him! If you know who all the players are, you can ask them about my papa!”

“Now, hold on just a minute. It’s a long way from here to Chicago. And I don’t travel anymore. I like Atlanta. It’s my new home. And I have no intention of leaving home again.”

“Alright, I’ll tell you what. When this bus gets here, I’ll take you to where I live. You can stay with me and I’ll find your papa.”

“You will? How? I told you, he’s in Chicago.”

“Yes, I will. I’ll send a telegram, a few letters to some team managers I know. Once I know where he is, I’ll send word that you’re here. And then we’ll see what happens. Does that suit you?”

“More than anything in the world. Thank you, Sir.”

“You’re welcome. And I can promise you, I won’t rest until we find your papa.”

“Really? Thank you. When we find my papa, I’m gonna tell him all about you, about how you helped me find him. What’s your name?”

“Henry Walker Lloyd. Your papa is my son.”

January 15, 2021 16:31

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

George Puscuta
10:54 Jan 21, 2021

I enjoyed the way Henry Walker Lloyd modulated his speech in order to be understood by a child and create report with him, there could have been a bit more foreplay between them showing how the child warmed up to HWL gradually, nice twist at the end. Cheers

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.