The Event that changed the world forever

Submitted into Contest #80 in response to: Start your story with a major news event breaking — one that will change the world forever.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Contemporary Drama

The event that changed the world forever

A short story

by

Michael Nicolson

I was looking forward to next year. My daughter was planning to have a baby. My first grandchild. All the family were here visiting me on New Years eve 2019. I felt sad when everyone left. I was alone again in my big house in the country. Four empty rooms. I was alone since my wife passed away. I should have moved. My daughter kept saying come and get a small house near me. You will be able to visit your grandchild easier. That night I made up my mind. I would sell the house in April when the weather improved. All that was about to change.

When the news first broke, at the end of January I was not worried. By February it became obvious that this was serious. The phone rang. I picked it up. It was my daughter Sandra.

“Have you seen the news dad? This coronavirus looks a real worry.”

“Yes just heard it on the news. The government is talking about lock down. No one will be able to leave their house. I hope it bows over quickly. Probably another virus like the flue.”

“I hope so dad, but I am worried.”

“Don’t worry I am sure everything will be fine.”

“I will ring you next week, take care of yourself. Love You, bye.”

She hung up. I put the kettle on and made myself a cup of coffee. Sandra worked in a big London hospital. She was a nurse. She loved her job working for the NHS. There was a buzz going round amongst the staff that soon the hospital would be full of coronavirus patients. Her husband was a doctor working at the same hospital. That’s how they met. Everything was perfect. Life was good till the news of the deadly coronavirus appeared on the news.

 The Prime Minister seemed optimistic that the government would soon have everything under control. No matter what the cost. Sandra was worried she spoke to her husband John at lunch break.

“We should go and visit my dad again soon. In case restrictions come in.”

“I agree, we have a two week break at the end of the month. We will go then. I like visiting him, he should move nearer, the we can look after him.”

“That sounds good. Better get back to work now.”

Two weeks later they were told all holiday leave was cancelled. The first few coronavirus patients started arriving. There wasn’t enough ppe or ventilators. Soon nearly every bed was taken. People were dying. Especially older people. The new travel restrictions were now in force. Only leave home for essential items like food or work. Everyone had to wear a mask. The staff in the hospital were working twelve hour shifts.

It wasn’t long before nurses and doctors were getting the disease. It was spreading like wildfire. Sandra became infected. Lucky she was young and fit. It took two weeks, then she had fully recovered. John was lucky he did not get it, but a lot of the other staff did. Years of cuts had left the NHS short of staff. Chinese people were abused. “It’s all your fault.” People shouted.

Things got worse during the winter. Then in the summer things started to improve. Cases started falling. The Prime Minister started giving daily briefings. In July he said he would allow all shops and pubs to reopen. It was a big mistake, it was too early. The main reason he lifted the restrictions was to save the economy. By the end of the year the virus was back. Stronger, more deadly than the first wave. Sandra rang her father every day. He was getting by, but feeling lonely and depressed. Lucky he had good neighbours. They checked in every day, did his shopping and made sure he was OK. The virus had spread round the world. Europe was badly effected. Thousands dying every day. By the end of 2020 millions were affected worldwide. Scientist were working day and night to find a vaccine. British scientists in Oxford were the first to produce one. It was quickly approved. In Germany they came up with the Pfizer vaccine. It was highly effective. Britain helped with the funding and ordered a million doses.

The vaccine was rolled out in the United Kingdom. The first doses were given to the elderly and most at risk. By early February 11 million people had been vaccinated. At last there seemed to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Britain was now a trillion ponds in debt. The economy was ruined. Thousands of people lost their jobs. The virus was cunning. It mutated, became faster at spreading. Some of the vaccines would prove less effective against the new variants.

Rumours started to spread that the Chinese Government had deliberately released the virus to destroy the western economies. The cases began to slow down by the summer. The decision on whether to open up the economy. Try and get back to normal had to be taken soon. The hospitality section was the worst hit. Many businesses would stay closed forever. Our lives would never be the same again.

Everyone was shopping online now. High streets were decimated. Some small towns were like ghost towns. Big cities, normally full of people were now empty. No planes were flying. The effect on global warming was beginning to show. Rivers were full of fish. Plant life was thriving. They say out every bad thing something good emerges.Perhaps God sent the virus to save the planet. People always seem to find a way of surviving.. After all we survived the flue epidemic. The influenza epidemic that swept the world in 1918 killed an estimated 50 million people. One fifth of the world's population was attacked by this deadly virus. Within months, it had killed more people than any other illness in recorded history. Now we get the flue vaccine every year. The same will happen with the coronavirus. Man will survive and overcome.

February 08, 2021 08:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.