0 comments

Adventure American Contemporary

Jack Turner – The lawyer – a loner, but always willing to help others just received a call to collect an item, but the item does not say whether it is animal, vegetable or mineral so he has no idea how large or fragile this item is.

Sarah Brindleburg – A landscape Architect a single woman in her late twenties, received a text on her phone to check out the area for the plans, but the plans do not really detect a specific area.

The taxi driver and the hit man must do his final job before he is free to rekindle his life, with his daughter, he has been living as a recluse for over 20 years of his life, the only job he has ever done is cleaning of a different kind.

The story takes place in the heart of the city, in the back of a taxi, Jack and Sarah hail the taxi together, neither of them realise that their jobs are each other, but all will be revealed in the end

SCENE ONE

INT: Inside the taxi cab, the driver discusses plans for his future, and is reading his text from an unknown source:

You say that you have a job for me,

Yes, I hear you,

Hope it’s not like the last time,

Send me the pictures, now.

And you are certain this would not hold any bars on my reputation?

Look, I have passengers coming, send me the details when you can and I’ll get back to you. Thanks.

Conversation ends.

Jack and Sarah both hail the taxi, and both open the door on either side of the vehicle as they get in and are hurled towards each other.

JACK

You don’t mind if I share this with you?

(Both laugh when he says this)

SARAH

It all depends on where you are going

(And she laughs back at him)

JACK

I know it is a bit of a long journey, but I'm heading on to Carnegie Drive.

SARAH

Well, that’s a coincidence, I’m going that way myself.

DRIVER

So, will you two be sharing this cab, I'm in a hurry?

JACK

Sure thing, man, if that is alright with you. (Turns to Sarah)

SARAH

Not a problem at all.

DRIVER

O k then, here we go.

was silence as the taxicab whizzed through the busy intersection, tooting the horn at passing vehicles, near miss an articulated lorry on the intersection, and coming to a standstill at some traffic lights, his body moving to and from to the rhythmic movement of the vehicle. Jack and Sarah moved too to the swinging motion of the car as it turned the many corners and slowly came to a halt.

SARAH

If I’m going to share a cab with you, can I ask your name?

JACK

You may, my name is Jack, and you?

SARAH

My name is Sarah.

JACK

Please to meet you, Sarah, I don’t normally do this

SARAH

Do what?

JACK

Share cabs, I’m a bit of loner

SARAH

Well there is always a first time.

JACK

I guess so

They look at each other without saying a word, she decides to check her phone and he decides to send another message on his. They exchange numbers at this point. The moving vehicle is gliding and weaving through traffic again.

SARAH

Driver, how much is this going to cost?

DRIVER

I can’t say for sure... you’ll have to wait until I get there.

SARAH

I only need to be sure, so I have enough money on me... (She turns to Jack) don’t you just hate it when you arrive at your destination and shoot; you just don’t have enough money on you to cover the fare.

DRIVER

Well, you see lady, it’s this computer system the company had installed the other day, you see... before, I could tell you the price of Lexington Avenue to Fulton Street, but now... I have to wait until the destination is completed, darn computers they’re everywhere...there is nothing you can do without the dreaded computers and don’t get me started on all those cameras they have installed all about...oh I can go on and on.

SARAH

Oh please don’t, I think I can wait until you get us there

JACK

I think he was about to give us a history lesson

SARAH

Tell me about it...I feel as if we have been driving for ages though, I just want to get to my destination.

JACK

It may seem that way but trust me; anything happens to you, I’m here.

SARAH

Even when you don’t know me... that is thoughtful of you, thank you.

JACK

We’re heading in the same direction, aren’t we, it’s the least I can do?

SARAH

So driver, I don’t mean to be a pain, but can you just give me a rough estimate, I mean, it seems like we’ve been driving for a while now.

DRIVER

Sorry lady, but rules are rules, and I cannot break them...it is just so typical, it always seems to be the women who demand to know how much everything is going to cost. Who am I lady, I’m just the cab driver? (being overly sarcastic)

SARAH

Well yes, it is your job, so I have every right to ask you whatever I want.

JACK

So how much would it be, because in away, she’s right, we have been driving for a while and so far, you are leading us to paths unknown, well unknown to me?

DRIVER

You’re just as bad as she is…Look, I cannot give you the cost right now... so why don’t you just leave me alone and enjoy the ride.

JACK

Fine, if that’s how you want to play it.

DRIVER

That’s how I want to play it.

SARAH

You can’t talk to us like that.

DRIVER

I can talk to you however I want, this is my cab and you are both in it.

SARAH (turns to Jack)

Can you believe this?

JACK

Just leave it, he’s just trying to be funny.

SARAH

Driver could you pull over, I think I’d like to get out.

JACK

What are you doing, you don’t even know where you are, and it is not safe to stop here?

SARAH

I’ll take my chances...driver, did you hear me?

DRIVER

I heard you and you are now beginning to test my patience... (At this point, is when the taxi driver received the photos of the two of them on his mobile) I don’t think …I can do that… not right now.

JACK

I think I’d like to get out as well...you can’t refuse both of us.

DRIVER

I can do whatever I like and I say, that both of you will have to stay where you are until I say so.

SARAH

Do I detect that you are holding us against our will?

DRIVER

You just will not stop, will you...going on and on and on.

JACK

So, are saying that you aren’t going to stop at all?

DRIVER

You have it one.

SARAH

What does this mean? (Turning to Jack for a response)

DRIVER

You and your big mouth...I won’t be able to continue this journey with the two of you questioning me left right and centre… (Speaking to himself) All I wanted to do, was do the job and be on my way.

SARAH

I’m sorry but who’s paying for this trip, how dare you refuse to let us out when we ask you to?

DRIVER

You again...don’t you ever stop?

JACK

You cannot speak to her like that… she has every right, we are paying citizens.

After the last words from Jack, the driver stopped the car, turned around from his seat and reached in his glove compartment for the pistol, pointing it into their direction.

SARAH

Look out! He’s got a gun

JACK

What the...

There was a sound of a single shot, aimed at Jack, he ducked but not in time for the bullet pierced him in the shoulder, there was a shout followed by a scream from Sarah, the driver smirked and continued on his way without looking back at them.

JACK

Oh my god why have you done that?

SARAH

I told you there was something strange about him.

DRIVER

Just be quiet, both of you... you wouldn’t stop, now I had to turn to another alternative.

JACK

A gun, that is your alternative? (Jack now struggling to talk while he tries to assess his damage).

DRIVER

Just be quiet I tell you, (he said this aiming the gun in their direction)

The cab was quiet, only the sound of the engine humming along, the driver behaved like a professional hitman, with one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the gun, they dare not move.

JACK

Are you ok? (Turning to Sarah)

The blood was already pouring on to the seats, Sarah looked shocked but did not want to make any sudden move, so in a whisper, she managed to gasp.

SARAH

You’re bleeding quite badly.

JACK

It’s not as bad as it looks, it’s just a flesh wound (tearing part of his shirt to make as a bandage to stop the blood pouring).

SARAH

What are you planning?

JOHN

I don’t know where he is taking us but my aim is, as soon as the car stops, I’m going to take it from there… I’m not going to let this happen to me again.

SARAH

What do you mean, are we being mugged a gunpoint, is that what happened to you?

JACK

No, nothing like that...but something similar.

DRIVER

Is no use you guys trying to make a getaway?

JACK

What makes you think we’re going to do that?

DRIVER

I’ve been listening to you.

SARAH

Eavesdropping never gets you anywhere.

DRIVER

Oh so you are trying to get all posh on me, I can see your lips moving so don't get any bright ideas.

SARAH

I wasn't.

DRIVER

Good.

JACK

What is so special about the two of us?

DRIVER

You’ll see when we get there, but in the meantime, keep quiet I’ve got a headache and I’m tired and want this to be over and done with.

SARAH

Well excuse us for cramping your style.

DRIVER

What did I just say?

JACK turning to Sarah

Leave it, you’ll only make matters worse...I don’t believe this is happening...I wonder what is so crucial about us… do you have any enemies?

SARAH

Not that I know of...I’m getting scared now.

JACK

At least we have each other and... (touching his pocket to indicate his mobile) and this.

DRIVER

Soon be there...not long now, thank goodness.

SARAH

I bet you must be proud of yourself...guys like you think you’re so macho with a gun.

DRIVER

Lady, did anyone tell you that you have a big mouth.

SARAH

And no manners too.

JACK

What are you doing (whispers to her and taps her on the knee) we cannot afford to upset him... there’s no telling what he would do next.

SARAH

I can’t wait to get out of here, if there’s one thing I detest is bullies, they have no place in this world.

JACK

Sarah...what has got into you?

SARAH

I can’t help it...who does he is...we’re like sitting ducks here?

DRIVER

If you don’t stop I can make it stop.

JACK

Just calm down...I’m here with you...we’re in the same boat, remember?

The car leaned to the left and then a right and then a spin, the driver looked in his rear view mirror at their terrified faces and slowed down only to speed up again.

SARAH

What are you doing now, (tears beginning to roll down her cheek) I’m being quiet... honest. (feeling alone and helpless).

DRIVER

Relax, I’m not going to harm you anymore.

JACK

Then why are you stopping...where are we?

DRIVER

I need to do something, important.

JACK

What is so important?

SARAH

You don’t have to tell us if you don’t want to.

JACK

No, I want to know, I can’t have my life hanging in the balance.

SARAH

I thought he told us to be quiet, there is no telling what he will do.

JACK

Well, he’s slowed down, look around you.

DRIVER

Enough! I need to make a call.

SARAH

Is this a joke?

JACK

Yeah, what’s this all about?

DRIVER

Questions… question …all I am hearing from you two... it’s enough to drive me crazy...I have a headache… I’ve had a bad day...I was called to do this job because it was to make my life easier...will you please give me a break.

JACK AND SARAH (looked at each other in astonishment)

The car had stopped; the engine still running as the driver turn around to face the two of them.

DRIVER

Don’t look so shock, I’m only human.

JACK

Yes, who’s just pulled a gun on two innocent people?

SARAH

Driving us in sane to the point of extinction.

JACK

And for what...because you have a lousy headache...who cares?

DRIVER

Watch it...you’re forgetting I have this. (pointing the gun directly at Jack).

JACK

Oh yeah...right...you know, I don’t feel afraid anymore, I think at this point I have got over my fear after all this (turns to Sarah while he says this, and nodding his head).

DRIVER

So, we have ourselves a wise guy, the destination hasn’t been reached and I desperately need to make this call...so if you don’t mind.

SARAH

Well I do mind, I do mind you holding me against my will.

JACK

It is ok, ( holding onto Sarah for reassurance).

SARAH

(She takes a deep breath and remains silent).

Jack looks into Sarah eyes and strokes her arm even more.

JACK

It’s alright I am with you.

DRIVER

Right, that is final… I have to continue with this journey, that’s if you two lovebirds don’t mind.

JACK

What did you say...we’re not here for pleasure as you well know?

DRIVER

I see you both getting acquainted with each other which is good...it makes my job that much easier.

SARAH

What, easier to dispose of us.

DRIVER

Correct. (No emotion).

JACK

Is that what this is...a game to you?

DRIVER

If you can call it that.

SARAH

Take no notice, Jack; he’s just trying to humour us again.

DRIVER

That’s right lady...you got that right.

SARAH

I wish you would stop calling me that, I have a name, you know.

DRIVER

And I don’t care.

JACK

Don’t speak to her like that, have you no manners?

DRIVER

As matter of fact, No!

The cab moved off slowly, then faster and then at a steady pace. He didn’t look round at all only focusing on the road ahead. The pistol was resting on to the dashboard in front of him. Jack and Sarah had other ideas.

SARAH

There’s nothing more we can do other than wait...you’re bleeding quite badly.

JACK

Its fine, it doesn’t hurt.

SARAH

Hey wait a minute, we can use that excuse to get away...look just follow my lead when I give the go ahead…I have an idea.

JACK

What are you going to do?

SARAH

Don’t worry...hello driver, I’m sorry to trouble you, again, but I think you better make a detour to the local hospital...he’s hurt quite badly, you see (at this point Jack is leant beside her pretending to be semi-conscious).

The driver looked in to his rear view mirror at them and slowed the vehicle down.

DRIVER

Didn’t your folks ever taught you to duck? (Mockingly).

SARAH

Is that all you can say, he can hardly lift his head, I’m telling you we need medical attention for him.

DRIVER

And I’m telling you he can seek medical attention when we get to my destination.

SARAH

Oh you are so cold.

DRIVER

That’s me lady, that’s why I got called to do this job, because I’m so cold.

SARAH

Don’t worry Jack, I’ll get you the attention you need.

DRIVER

Oh yeah, and how are you going to do that, lady?

SARAH

I told you stop calling me that.

DRIVER

Oh yes, (rather mockingly at her) you have a name… Sarah.

SARAH

I think I’d much prefer you to call me lady.

DRIVER

Suit yourself, lady (mockingly).

Sarah is seen stroking Jack in a motherly way and looking directly at the rear mirror so that the driver can see her, a tear falls on to her cheek, he sees that, and pulls the gears in top overtaking several cars on the way.

DRIVER

Don’t think I’m going all soft on you, because I’m not.

SARAH

I appreciate it very much; he’s hurt quite bad you see.

DRIVER

So you keep telling me.

SARAH

How are you feeling, Jack?

A murmur is heard coming from Jack’s mouth, slightly lifting his head to check if they are nearing the hospital.

JACK

Not so good.

DRIVER

What did he say?

SARAH

He said for you to come closer.

DRIVER

What for?

SARAH

Jack, what is it?

DRIVER

What is he saying now?

SARAH

He’s asking how much further it will be.

DRIVER

Just a few more minutes now, can he last that long?

SARAH

Not long now Jack, can you hold on for me, please?

JACK (winks to Sarah, she winks back).

SARAH

Are we there yet?

DRIVER

The hospital is straight ahead.

May 10, 2024 03:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.