0 comments

Teens & Young Adult Adventure Western

  I was looking on a moonless sky but the stars were as if you sprinkled paint on a midnight blue sheet. The sky looked incomplete without the moon. Suddenly my sharp ears pricked on hearing a shrub move. I should say I have got really good hearing sense. I could literally hear people talk even when I’m a mile away. I looked down bending on the bottom edge of my window. Then I saw the shadow of a person move through the front wall of my house from my backyard. It was dark and merely a blur. Then through whatever my eyes could catch up I think I saw someone standing in my backyard. It was a black image as far as I could see. Then I think I saw the face turn and look straight into my eyes. I suddenly hid behind the window. That was cowardice of me to do being a detective’s mentor…

       Then I heard the doorbell ring and my mom called me at the top of her voice, shrieking to come down and look who was at the doorstep. When I went down the answer to my confusions was standing. It was apparently my aunt who is a detective. The moment I saw her I stood for a second or two in confusion and stared at her but not being able to resist the urge of giving her all my love, I went forward and hugged her. Next to my utmost horror she pulled a hand from the side. There appeared a boy with curly hair and brown eyes. I guessed he was a 16 plus. He was wearing a blue sweatshirt as it was the middle of autumn and matching sweatpants, a pair of sneakers to go with. He smiled. His thin lips went for an inch and a half I should think. My aunt said, ‘This is Jeff. I thought he would make a very good assistant for me. His mom being a surgeon had to go to Alaska so she left him with me. You know I wanted to visit you so badly especially Lucy, I brought him with me. I hope you won’t mind….’ My mom hastened to embrace her sister, ‘No probs… it’s alright.’ Then I heard a voice from my back leaving my heart to jump, ‘Hello Detective Olivia Benson. How are you doing?’ it was the stern voice of my dad. ‘Great!! After seeing little Lucy Mr. Maxwell.’ I went red, ‘Olivia I’m not “little” anymore. I am fifteen.’ I was so used to calling her Olivia ever since I was three.

       We all went in at the dining room to an enormous supper await. My mom was so excited that her sister was home just in time for the Pop Carnival. She said, ‘Just in time for the Carnival on Friday night.’ They seemed to talk tons but I cross eyed Jeff. Somehow he didn’t seem nice to me. I interrupted the conversation, ‘So why didn’t you stay with your dad.’ He crushed his teeth and said, ‘He’s gone’. My aunt said at the same time, ‘They divorced.’ I could say he glared at my aunt and I couldn’t take it, ‘Don’t you glare…’ but a stern voice interrupted me, ‘Lucy, manners’ and with that the whole table was silent except the two beloved sisters.

       I saw the jerk move out of the guest room. Finally sometime with Olivia, I heaved a sigh of relief. I went and talked a bunch of things. Finally she said something, ‘We’re camping tomorrow.’ My heart was pounding. I thought she’d never say this . She said that we were going to the woods that we planned last summer but we didn’t have enough time visiting it . My time with Olivia came to an end once the curly haired monster arrived. I went to my bed and slept peacefully that Wednesday night.

       The next morning I woke up early got ready for the most awaited day for the past 4 months of my life. I was waiting by the door to see Jeff coming down with a backpack with my aunt. I started to throw a tantrum to only see him giggle and my father saying, ‘Either you go with them or stay.’ I would’ve stayed if it wasn’t for dear Olivia. We set up our camp not very far from the road in case we get lost. The whole morning went by and we had our lunch. We were to explore the heart of the woods that afternoon. As we went I held back Olivia and let Jeff walk a ten steps ahead. As he was wearing headphones, he couldn’t hear a thing. I wanted to have a personal walk with Olivia. I was astonished to hear the next thing she said, ‘I’m on a case.’ My eyes sparkled but then narrowed. I asked her the only thing that was running in my mind from last

night. ‘Why are you letting this brown eyed jerk be your assistant.’ She replied casually, ‘I thought a trio was good.’

       ‘You know me Olivia how I hate to share you with anybody but..’ she said, ‘Shhhh!!’ and pulled my hand down. We hid behind a bush. As I was about to open my mouth I heard a gun shot. I sat still. Olivia said, ‘They are illegally mining gold from the magnetic field of earth. That file is the proof. Wait till I take it. I know a way behind.’ she said pointing to a file near a cave. I was shocked, ‘You know a way behind? You said you never came here.’ ‘Well I was here once with Jeff.’ she said standing up. I glared at him but he gave a look as if he never cared.

       Olivia tiptoed slowly to the back of the cave which had a polythene sheet as curtains. She was gone for a minute or two and then I saw her hand coming from behind the curtain. She was almost within reach of the file when a hand as big as an elephant’s trunk caught hold of hers and pulled her out. I moved my eyes to the top to see a mountain like figure with elephant sized limbs, wearing a black suit and a bald head. I stood up saying, ‘Quick we gotta help her.’ I was mad at myself for saying it because why would I even want his help. He held my hand and brought me down and closed my mouth. For a moment I thought his hands smelled butterscotch. But then I pushed his hand off my mouth and stood up again. But one of the guards caught us both as he stood up with me pulling my hand getting ready to run.

       Then as the guard alerted the others they began to chase us. We ran through bushes and thorns and shrubs and creepers. They didn’t seem to slow down. It was beginning to get dark. They couldn’t see us. Jeff grabbed my hand made me climb a tree just like an ant would. Without making even a leaf shake. I opened my mouth to ask how was that but he closed mine again. Only this time I didn’t shout because I was the one who gave us away. That was so stupid of me. They began to switch on the lights from their torches. They didn’t care to look up the tree. And even if they looked I think they wouldn’t have found for it was such a branched one with two or three trees covering it all over.

       As we sat there for a thirty minutes or something my leg began to numb as they were curled for a long time. As I was about to shift a little when his hands slided to my hips and held me closer. His eyes looked as if he said, ‘Just so you don’t give away us hiding this time.’ He smelt butterscotch all over and I think I liked it, the smell, not him! Or maybe… I fighted with my heart. I saw his watch as his hangs were still on my hips. It was half past seven. The guards had apparently gone. I pushed his arms off me and began to climb down. I headed towards our camp. He followed me.

       He went in and packed his backpack. I asked him

Where are you going?

  I’m gonna get outta this woods

You’re gonna leave me here

        You would. But I’m not like you

I’m not leaving this place without my aunt

        You are mad enough to say that. She can come by herself alright. Now come with me.

You are the one who’s mad. She can escape the guards but not that giant machine..

        We have to get to the police. Come on.

You go. But I am staying here.

        Can you be sensible enough for once?

I am. You go out now probably that giant machine is gonna keep guards at the entrance.

        You like it or not. I am gonna get help.

He was gone for 10 minutes and then he came back and left his backpack down and sat defeated.

        Don’t start. You were right.

Yes. You are a jerk.

       I think he got offended on what I said. His face frowned and he turned the other way and lay on his backpack. For once I felt sorry for him. I said

I’m sorry.

        No you were right. I’m indeed the jerk who killed his father.

I thought you said..

       You wondered how I could climb the tree so well? One day I was mastering the art. I saw from the tree that there were gold miners. I knew it was illegal . The magnetic field would go down if you mine the gold in this place. So they saw me run outside and chased me when my dad came to pick me up in his car. They were excellent shooters. They shot my dad and he made a sign of go away, seeing me standing still. I ran for help. That was when I saw your aunt and I took her to the place.

I’m sor..

       Don’t be. I can’t take it.

Hey. I swear it wasn’t your mistake. You didn’t mean for it to happen.

       That’s how I forgave myself till now. But I can’t help your aunt being with Robert for even a minute.

Who’s Robert?

        The “giant machine” you were referring to.

I could hear he was crying. I tried to hide away my tears but I knew that he knew I was crying too. We both slept somehow and when we woke up it was 8 am. The autumn mornings were not usually bright and in this woods it was like 6 in the morning . I packed my backpack as Jeff took his and came out. I ran out and held his hand and said

I’m coming too

        Why would you wanna come with me. Go save your aunt.

Because I love you (I muttered inside my mouth)

        What?

I love you (this time a little louder)

       He held my hand a little more tighter and turned towards me to hold my other hand as tight as the one before. The next thing I knew both his hands ran through my cheeks as he came closer. I closed my eyes and felt his rosy thin lips touch mine tenderly, as soft as he could , he hugged my lips with his. I swear it was my first kiss. He moved back and held my hand again and said

        Let’s go. I have a plan.

I followed him without a word. He took me to the back of the cave Olivia went in. The gold barells were filled with clothes. He showed one and said

        You hide in this one and I’ll have that.

We soon hid and felt someone coming in. There was silk clothes all over me. I swear even if they opened it, it would appear like a dump of clothes. I felt I was being moved as the barells were transferred into the truck in which they were taking them. Soon the truck started moving. We were sitiing as quiet as mice. Then soon it was afternoon and they stopped for lunch. We had a sandwich in our backpack and nibbled it.Then again they resumed their journey. Then after what I could make out I guess I was travelling in a lift. They left the gold barells in a room I think probably the twentieth floor. Then after all was quiet we opened the barells to see aunt Olivia in they same room as we were. We didn’t make a noise as my sixth sense told that there would be guards outside. We went and untied her and released her plastered mouth. She said, ‘Go call the police ASAP. I’ll handle the guards.’ She knocked down both the guards with a punch. As we went outside we realized that we were at the carnival , it was evening and that there were guards all over the porch. Olivia and Jeff got into action. They told me to run over to the police. But one of the guards suddenly caught hold of my arm.

       I swung him over to the left and kicked his back. I took his gun and at once recognized that it was a silent gun. I shot a guard on his thigh another bullet apparently landed on his shoes. I shot him again and he was down to the floor. My sharp ears caught the lift coming up. My sixth sense told to grab the others and hide. I told Olivia to take the stairs and run up. I grabbed Jeff and took him into the same room where we came from. All the guards were on the ground. We opened two barells and sat inside not having enough time to cover ourselves. We sat as silent as mice again. I didn’t even dare to breathe as I heard thuds of footsteps coming through the porch. I was damn sure that it was Robert. He came into the room we were sitting in. He put his eye on each one of the barell of gold. He came to mine at last.

       I swear I went hot to a 6000 degrees. I didn’t even blink my eyes. I was keeping my eyes wide open. He came and gave a smirk and headed towards the door to my utmost relief. Then to my utmost horror he opened the lid of my barell! I was sitiing there crouched in. He held me by the neck and lifted me to the wall. Jeff came out of his barell at once and headed towards Robert to attack him. With one move of his elbow he knocked Jeff so hard he couldn’t even get up. He threw me to the ground and I was listless. My spine hurted like it was breaking but fortunately it didn’t as I felt through with my hand. He then headed towards the door and went to the porch. He was walking towards the lift. We both got up somehow and went after him. He was standing at the edge of the turn in the porch. We walked slowly and seemed to have the same idea in mind. We looked at each other for a second and sprinted towards him. He had no idea what we were about to do. Then with a jump to a three feet we kicked him with our legs using all our might, my right leg covering his right side and Jeff’s left leg covering his left we knocked him off from the twentieth floor and he fell with a loud thud on top of a tree. Olivia arrived with the police just in time. They took the gold to give to where it belonged.

       After everybody cleared out of the place Jeff took my hand and took me to the top of the building. The whole place was lit in carnival light at night. He said

       It looks just like you

He came closer, held me by my hips and brought it closer to his, and again did the same magical thing which seemed to last forever. We sat there and watched the carnival and obviously slept there with stars under our heads. Olivia was busy managing the police that she had left us a text not to fight and enjoy the carnival.

       The next morning we woke as the sun’s bright rays shone on us. I swear my hair was crazy. But he said

        I never told you back. Now that I want to say. I love you to the Moon and to Saturn..

Hey isn’t that Taylor Swift’s lyric.

       I think it was made for you.

I blushed as I stood up. He put his hands on my hips but this time it slipped through under my shirt. He pulled me closer and said

       You look as beautiful as this early morning sun.

And did the soft tender hug to my lips for the third time. I think it would’ve lasted forever if it wasn’t for Olivia. She was surprised at what she saw. She just smiled and said, ‘Let’s go home’. We blushed at each other and went after her.



May 06, 2021 15:17

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.