1 comment

Fantasy Coming of Age Fiction

My dear Autumn,

I am hoping that you are happy as you read this, that you feel like you belong for once in your life. Taylor and I are so sorry for any discomfort or sadness we have caused you in your childhood years, we just didn't want to lose our only daughter...our only child. Looking back on our choices, I can admit that we were wrong to try to keep you hidden from the legacy...from your future. I am also sorry that Taylor might not reach out to you for quite awhile, I do not know where she is as shortly after the legacy took you she left home one day and hasn't come back...that was over 8 months ago. I am afraid that my choice to do what I know was the right thing has caused a rift between not only between you and I but Taylor and I as well.

You deserve to know my innermost thoughts behind this whole situation, which is part of the reason why I am writing this letter. The day I adopted you from the Children of the Streets Orphanage was...as cliche as it is one of the happiest days of my life. You were such an adorable child who grew up into a stunning young woman, I just hope that one day I am able to see the incredible adult that you will develop into.

I am hoping you viewed your childhood as a happy one, Taylor and I certainly tried to raise you the best we could on our humble incomes as teachers. I think it is because of the fact that I am a Science teacher and think as a Scientist that does not excuse but somewhat explains my skepticism at your abilities. Your magical potential cannot be explained by nature's laws, the very laws I have taught and continue to teach to others for over 15 years now. 

Taylor and I both should have realised earlier that you were very different to your peers, of course every parent thinks their child is special and unique...but you were unique in an exceptional way. It was in your 8th year when we realised that you had never gotten hurt as a child, not even a scratch or bruise...we had never even seen you bleed. Of course, if we had actually seen you bleed we would have observed it's golden sheen which would have forced us both to admit that you were a legacian, you were born with the magical traits that less than 1% of the human population were born with. Traits that ensured that you belonged to the Legacy, the ultimate mix of scientists, inventors, protectors and teachers that rule over our world and ensure the peace.

Taylor had been in the kitchen, bopping along to the latest chart toppers on the radio as she brewed our morning coffee. As the kettle boiled she had done a particular large hip swing along to a bass drop causing the scalding water to pour over her skin. Fearing at least second degree burns, she had stuck her arm under the cold water of the kitchen tap only for you to walk in the kitchen and silently move her arm out from under the water. Within seconds of holding her arm, a soft pastel light has glowed softly between your fingers, a minute later when you released her arm...she was healed. 

I know in the hours after this, we had both probably seemed almost interrogative like...we didn't mean to be, it was definitely a result of conflicting emotions. I for one knew what your powers meant for our situation, I knew that I would never live with you again...that I would never hold you in my arms as soon as you took your rightful place at the legacy. Taylor knew this as well which is why she fought so hard to keep you with us. As you got older and started rebelling, the tensions between us all started intensying and as you are well aware, high emotions trigger your magic.

Please know that I do not blame you or hold any grudge against you for the magical accidents that occured over these years. Taylor and I should have been more mindful of our situation...of your situation. Even the smallest petty fights during adolescence which may seem insignificant to the older party can hold a much deeper meaning for the teenager, as you know.

Words cannot even begin to express my apologies and regrets at the way Taylor and I handled your magical abilities, the way that I was so dismissive and she was so against them. We probably made you feel like an outsider...like you were alone in the world and I will regret that for as long as I live. I regret my ignorance and overall handling of the situation. 

I love you Autumn and I always will. I know you will make a incredible Legacian and I hope that one day you will allow me back into your life, in whatever way the Legacy will allow. When you accidently set fire to your final exam in year 10 Taylor and I could not protect you or your abilities from the world anymore. The Legacy were there within the hour as you know, only allowing you 30 minutes to pack up your things and say goodbye to us. I had to tell them the truth of your abilities and your orphan origins Autumn, I know Taylor tried to lie but there was simply no point...not only had roughly a hundred students seen you set that paper on fire with you hands but the schools security cameras had as well. 

I hope that you are happy and are enjoying your training. I must confess I know almost nothing about the Legacy, you know as much as I do about the mystery and anonominity surrounding their organisation. A mystery you are now apart of. I wish you the best Autumn, you will always be my precious daughter, someone I love more than life itself. 

One day I am sure we will meet again, if you get this letter which I handed in at legacy reception it means that there is hope that I will one day be able to talk to you again, to perhaps see you again. Make yourself proud Autumn, do everything you do...for you, not others. As soon as you make yourself proud, as soon as you know your own path...everything else will fall into place. Follow your intuition, your gut and your heart and head will follow.  

Love as always, your two Mothers,

Angela and Taylor

December 02, 2020 11:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Hannah Gates
11:16 Dec 10, 2020

Great story I really enjoyed it and it felt like it was from the author's heart. It's probably my sub-par intellect but I was slightly confused at first as to whether it was actual fantasy or just kind of allegorical about a girl who made some not so great choices. Maybe to improve it, could have more incidences showing her magical powers, so she comes even more alive. Maybe a bit more detail about the conflicting emotions you mention- like how did she really make you the author feel? But I really liked it, it was quite clear and direct and ...

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.