The Prince and the Jarl

Submitted into Contest #203 in response to: Write a story during which two conversations happen simultaneously.... view prompt

2 comments

Fantasy

This story contains sensitive content

WARNING: This story features several mature topics, up to and including implied threats of forced marriage/unwanted romantic attention, implied threats of violence, and an antagonist who is crazy. With that, let us begin.

“Jarl Hal, please, this is madness!” A great oaken door was hurled open as an irate young man garbed in armor marched out of the room. His blue eyes brimmed with rage beneath furrowed brows, a snarl on his lips. His fair hair was in disarray. His suit of plate and maille clanked as he walked through the stone walls of his fort. Behind him, a harried looking woman his age in rumpled white robes scurried after him. 

“I refuse to let that craven whelp Iohannes Pietrovich seize Vorarlberg unfought!” He replied, venomously. “The World Eater will feast on my soul before I let him take what is mine.”  

“Prince Iohannes, are you certain it is wise to antagonize Jarl Hal waverider in this manner?” A tall warrior clad in shining maille cast a gimlet eye at the stone fortifications of the port city of Vorarlberg. The once tall towers and proud walls that had stood for centuries had suffered under the onslaught of cannonfire, many parts having cracked and shattered. Still, the defenders held out for their ruler, returning fire at the attackers with surprisingly accurate cannonfire of their own. Prince Iohannes looked at his old friend and gave a smile drenched in  insanity, his amethyst eyes blazing with chaotic energy. 

“Of course it is Tolys!” The prince beamed. “How else can I convince him to marry me if not by besieging his city and forcing him into battle?” He shook his strawberry blond hair out of his eyes and reached a hand up to brush snow off of his Imperial purple cloak. 

“His army is over 3,000 strong. I beseech you, send for your kinsmen and allies-”

“Absolutely not Helga!” Jarl Hal spun around and slashed the air in front of Helga with a gauntleted hand. His secretary jerked back, eyes wide. 

“My Lord, please, be rational,” Helga pleaded, bringing  her clasped hands up in front of her. Jarl Hal scoffed and turned around, walking towards the Great Hall. After a few moments Helga followed, cringing as she heard her Lord’s response. 

“Being rational would be to sit on my arse and wait for my family to prop me up while I allow my people to suffer under the predations of my bitterest  rival,” Jarl Hal claimed. With a swift gesture, several armored men in fur lined cloaks stood to attention, faces grave and solemn. 

“Muster our host and make ready the ships!” Jarl Hal commanded. “By midday tomorrow, I want to be under sail to Vorarlberg!” The men before him beat their chests with a fist. 

“Your will be done, Jarl,” they intoned, bowing their heads and striding away to fulfill their duties. 

“You are aware that the good Jarl is going to butcher you for this,” Tolys noted, idly examining his curved saber with emerald eyes. Prince Iohannes laughed merrily, eyes glued to the crumbling walls of the besieged Vorarlberg. 

“He will not succeed,” The Prince declared giddily. “Afterall, how is he going to kill me if he is married to me?” Tolys side eyed his overlord and took a few steps away from Prince Iohannes. 

“Forgive me my Prince, I was under the impression Jarl Hal despised you and wanted you dead,” the soldier said. A thoughtful look appeared. “I was also under the impression that the good Jarl was married already.” Prince Iohannes giggled, bringing a pale hand up to his face. 

“Don’t be silly, captain! Everyone knows that trying to hurt and kill someone is a sign you love them!” Prince Iohannes ignored the comment about Jarl Hal being married and turned to the attendant beside him. 

“Inform Mother, Father, and Grandfather that by the Full Moon I will have a husband,” the Prince informed the aide, handing her a sealed roll of parchment. The lowly servant nodded, fear written across her face. As soon as the Prince turned away from her, she walked to where their horses were gathered with forced calm, taking deep breaths. Tolys rolled his eyes. 

“Jarl Hal, the man is an utter madman! You know what he will do to you if you are captured.” Helga mentioned, scribbling missives down on a sheet of parchment held on a clipboard in front of her with a quill. Jarl Hal snorted from where he was examining maps of the region on a table. 

“How defeatist of you to think that I would let myself be taken captive by that lunatic,” he remarked idly. Suddenly he smirked, eyes darkening with malice. 

“And bold of you to assume that I wouldn't take the opportunity to unman him.” Helga looked up and raised an eyebrow. 

“My Lord, everyone between the Kingdom of Umanar and the High Realm of Eckvar knows that the grandson of the Tsar is in love with the Kaiser’s nephew-who, by the way, would be more than happy to supply you with reinforcements.” 

 ”They are also well aware that the Prince is completely bereft of reason, yet somehow he is still in line for the Taridian throne,” the Jarl noted. “Quite simply, no one who actually matters cares enough to help me send him to his gods and let Them deal with Iohannes.” 

“They do not care because Prince Iohannes’ father and grandfather are alive and well,” Helga replied. “They certainly will change their minds when Prince Iohannes becomes Tsar and decides to make war on all his neighbors.” Jarl Hal made a rumbling noise from his chest. 

“Aye, and he’ll start by marrying me against my will, even though I already have a spouse,” he growled. Once again a malicious smirk flitted across his face. 

“But not if I sacrifice him to Votan first,” he whispered, voice dripping with sadistic glee at the thought. 

“With all due respect my Prince, His Majesty the Tsar has maintained the safety and security of the Motherland by keeping good relations with our neighbors. Considering he is on record for being quite cordial with the Kaiser of the Kearls, the uncle of your heart’s desire, I am doubtful your union would ever last longer than a few moons,” Tolys huddled beneath a moss green cloak, brown hair flying in the wind. The smile Prince Iohannes gave him froze his blood. 

“I love how much you care about me, but what I love even more is you supporting me in all my endeavors!” Tolys took a step back as the Prince’s smile widened, showing off teeth that could easily pass as fangs. Piercing winds swept through the area, slicing through flesh and bone. Prince Iohannes looked on, unaffected. Tolys frowned. 

“My Prince, you know I am loyal to you, but I am just stating the facts: even if you succeed in this quest of yours- and the Jarl’s military expertise places that in question- there is no guarantee that your hypothetical marriage will last longer than a year at most. The Kaiser is a known family man and dotes on his children, nieces, and nephews. If you should manage to restrain Jarl Hal long enough to take him to a shaman that will bless your union-a feat in of itself-Kaiser Alaric will give Taridia the same treatment he gave to Umanar, such that at the end of it our fields will be pillaged, our cities sacked, and our people slaughtered and enslaved. To this day, the Umaneans still have not recovered from his wrath. Your grandfather will sooner have you killed and the Jarl returned with  ten years worth of taxes as Weregild and sincere apologies  rather than face Alaric’s army, and frankly, I would not blame him.” A shiver ran through Tolys at the memory. Suddenly, Prince Iohannes was right in front of Tolys, staring into his eyes. Amethyst flames met emerald, and the soldier looked away in discomfort. The prince brought a hand to grasp the chin of his subordinate. 

“Finally, prepare letters to my family-primarily my uncle and to Stigander-informing them I have the situation well under control,” Jarl Hal dictated, holding up a stack of parchment in his hands. All around, soldiers and servants bustled about, transporting food and weapons to where six longships and a galley were moored at harbor.  Helga nodded, already doing as she was bid. Suddenly she looked up, face paling. Jarl Hal noticed this and turned to her, raising an eyebrow. 

“What is it?” He inquired. Helga gulped. 

“My Lord, His Imperial Majesty the Kaiser had sent a messenger weeks ago that he and his Court were going to visit you here at Herron Hall.” She shot him an apologetic look. “He will be here in three days, along with your new spouse.” A dawning look of realization bloomed on Jarl Hal’s face, followed by a grimace of frustration.

“The Erlking take it all.” He pointed at Helga. “When he gets here, inform him of my sincere apologies and beg his indulgence, I should be back in a week with Iohannes’ head.” The secretary stared at the Jarl, sputtering.

“My Lord, with respect, I-” a guard bearing the insignia of a sea bird in flight on his left pauldron interrupted them with urgent steps. 

“Jarl Hal, we are ahead of schedule and will be ready to sail in a few hours,” the guard announced. Jarl Hal all but threw his papers down  and strode away towards the ships, a wild grin forming on his face. 

“Excellent news,” he declared. An aura of malicious intent began to form around him, everyone around him giving their overlord a wide berth. Helga sighed and returned to her paperwork, a muttered prayer falling past her lips. 

“Prince Iohannes, your infatuation with Jarl Hal has turned to madness!” Tolys finally admitted, staring ahead at the ruined walls of Vorarlberg. By now Taridian cannon fire had broken down the outer defenses, forcing the defenders to withdraw to the inner wall as Taridian infantry advanced forward. In the distance thunder roared from the Taridian fleet blocking the harbor, exchanging fire with the Kearlic ships at anchor. With trembling hands, Tolys sank to his knees and grasped Prince Iohannes’ hand bearing a golden ring upon it. Giving said ring a small kiss, Tolys gazed at his Prince in despair. 

“You are a Prince of Taridia, your actions risk a war that could doom us all. Please, by Ausra and Laima, I beg you, cease this needless war! There are plenty of men and women that would gladly be wedded to you, Jarl Hal is not one of them even if he were not already taken. Please, your grandfather has given us over forty years of peace with Karlheim, do not make all his efforts be in vain. Please,” Tolys begged, “In the name of our years of friendship, do not go down this path. Do not go on this path of madness.” For a moment, Prince Iohannes was silent, staring off into the distance. Neither of them moved. With sudden breath, Prince Iohannes turned to Tolys and with both hands raised him up. Prince Iohannes placed both hands upon Tolys’ shoulders and leaned their foreheads together. Snow fell all around them, the autumn snow melting into the ground. Finally, prince Iohannes spoke. 

“You know I can not do that, Tolys,” his words were laden with sorrow. “I have come too far, done too much, and sworn too many oaths to my patron god Veles to stop. Every day and every night ever since I met him, I have loved Hal, and being away from him hurts. It hurts that he is not with me, it hurts to know he is so far away, it hurts to know he is in the arms of another,” Prince Iohannes sobbed, tears running down his face. Tolys brought a hand up to wipe the tears from his face. 

“Hal is in my mind, he is all I can think about. For too long have I been denied him, now I have to have him.” Prince Iohannes’s grip on Tolys tightened, and a familiar insanity burst into new life in Iohannes’ words and eyes. 

“I must have him, can’t you see? He is the only one for me. You could place all the most beautiful men and women in the world in front of me, but still I would only choose him. He is meant for me, and I am meant for him.” Prince Iohannes shoved Tolys away without warning, turning on his heel and walking away, his cloak swishing with his movements. His parting words were colder than all of the ice and snow of Winter. 

“I will have Hal, one way or another, even if I have to fight everyone for him, including him and his current lover.”

“One way or another, Hal will be mine.” 

“Rest assured Helga, I will be back in a week with another victory under my belt and Iohannes’ head on a spike,” Jarl Hal informed Helga, confidence oozing from him. His helmet was held in one arm, his other hand resting on the hilt of his sword. As the setting sun cast fiery rays of light across the world, Hal’s host of several hundred made their final preparations before sailing out to lift the siege of Vorarlberg. Their arms and armor turned to fire in the light of dusk. The dragon headed prows of the Kearlic warships glared balefully about, already waiting to strike fear into the hearts of their enemies. 

“May Njord and Nehalennia guide you safely to Vorarlberg, and Votan and Tiwaz grant you victory,” Helga responded, an ink stained hand clasping her hammer pendant. Hal’s face softened. 

“Don’t worry Helga, I will return, I promise you.” Hal gave her a small smile, and the sight of it temporarily banished her fears. 

“Myself and everyone here will await your return,” Helga told him, a slight incline of her arm gesturing to the many servants come to see the host off. Jarl Hal nodded, and turned on his heel to begin walking to where his flagship, the galley named The Helm of Awe, awaited. He tilted his head as a thought came to him. . 

“And don’t forget to tell my new husband that I will return safely!” 

“Yes My Lord!” The final thing Helga heard Jarl Hal said cast a shadow of unease upon her shoulders. 

“Iohannes you bastard, get ready, because I am going to kill you.”

Finally, the small fleet began to cast off, the crews bringing out oars to begin the trek to relieve their besieged comrades. From where she was standing, Helga saw where Jarl Hal stood at the prow of his ship, his teeth bared.  Suddenly, a cold wind blew from the east, filling the sails of the fleet and speeding them onwards. Thus, they begun their journey forth, to battle and war.

June 20, 2023 02:03

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tamarin Butcher
14:31 Jun 29, 2023

This is a very strong first submission, Joseph! It was very effective to see the same situation from two perspectives. It's almost difficult to decide who the protagonist is--they are BOTH making decisions not in the best interests of their people. Keep submitting, please!

Reply

Joseph Peck
20:33 Jun 30, 2023

Thank you for your kind words! I appreciate it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.