0 comments

Fantasy Fiction

Penelope doesn't know what drove her to this point, was it love? Infatuation? She couldn't say, all she knows now is her fiance's blood was on her hands.  She couldn't stand by blindly letting her fiance's wrongs ruin the lives of others. Standing before his lifeless body the emotion drained from her eyes. Someone bursts through the large wooden doors to the room. She hears the sound of footsteps approaching her muddled together with the words he said to her "Thank you for being by my side to end it all."

She didn't have any feelings towards those words, feeling a hollowness inside. A hand gently touches her shoulder saying "you did good." Penelope didn't care those words meaning nothing for her; her vision began to blur and it wasn't before long for her to realize her time had also come. Hearing voices call her name, what she wants is to rest, finding nothing for her in this world.

Penelope opens her eyes, finding herself back in her room, feeling groggy and indifferent. She knew she had come back as she always did to relive this tragic hero story. Have long been done and want this book to close. However, no matter what she did differently or whether she tried it doesn't change wanting to give up. She yawns as her maid Giselle walks in holding a tray and walks over to her bed.

On the tray was her breakfast and an envelope she had no interest in opening.  "Did you sleep well, Miss Penelope?" Penelope nods, picking up the envelope "What's this?"

"A letter from Baron Rochester" Giselle answers

"Of course it is." Penelope says under her breath tossing it to the side and begins eating her breakfast.

Giselle rambles about how nice it is to see that Penelope isn't lacking in suitors, and asks her what she thinks. "I think this French toast could use some more cinnamon," Penelope says with visible disinterest.  "That's exactly what I was thinking good choice" Giselle says excited

Penelope takes a sip of her orange juice "Does this juice have pulp in it?" she questions and Giselle answers "Of course not, you could never have too much lace."

Penelope looks over to Giselle waiting for her to stop gushing over wedding details and how beautiful of a bride she'll be. After Giselle was done she helped Penelope to the bathroom; to get ready to head for the capital. Asking her when she'll give up her position of being a royal guard to the crown princess looking at her hand. However, Penelope doesn't answer knowing that it's not her choice.

After getting dressed she heads down to the front of the manor where the coach waits for her. Her sister Kathrine already sat inside and the both rode to the capital in an uncomfortable silence. Penelope couldn't be more relieved to get off the coach; stepping out she narrowly escapes getting run over. Having gotten saved by Cassandria Cresantias the daughter of the duke.  Penelope ends up becoming friends with her for the 56th time, after basically getting dragged into a cafe against her will.

Afterwards, she finds herself heading over to a cozy looking corner shop; until the next scene is to be played out. Entering the old shop the shopkeeper sees the finely dressed Penelope and wonders if she'd wandered into the shop by accident. As there was nothing interesting enough for a young woman of her noble standing in his quaint shop. 

However, that didn't deter her saying that she was just looking around so as not to mind her. The shopkeeper thought it's just another noble that's going to browse around and then not buy anything like it's some sort of exhibition. To his surprise, Penelope picks up a book asking him how much for it. The shopkeeper found it intriguing saying that it looks like the book had finally found its owner. Telling her that it was 7 hilts. Which was relatively cheap considering its real value. 

Penelope walks out of the shop confused, not sure what had happened or what possessed her to buy this book. Shrugging it off as at least she has something new to read while she's in this new loop. However, she didn't really pay attention to the fact that the shop keeper had acknowledged her outside of anyone outside the usual loop.

Penelope heads over to her next scene as she walks over to the  jewelry store to buy a brooch for her brother whose birthday is coming up soon. As before, a gentle man asked the shopkeeper to wrap up this brooch she’d just chosen. Here they go again, as the scene plays out as before, she tells him that she was about to pay for the brooch. He rudely starts walking away, she tells him that it's un-noble to steal from another person like that. Then he turns to her and says it's not stealing if he was the one that paid for it. Usually she doesn't have to say anything at all as it will just be the same.

Yet it all played out differently, she stares waiting for him to walk off before saying his line with indifference. However he felt her stares and turned to look at her asking if she's got some sort of business with him. Penelope sighs not realizing what is happening, saying he swooped in on the brooch she was about to purchase. The young gentleman replies that he hadn't noticed. Penelope sighs again saying out loud, of course he didn't in a sarcastic tone. Looking back at him to see his surprised face uttering the word excuse me. Telling him that he's excused before she walks out of the store before the young gentleman could process what had happened to call out to her. 

Penelope heads down to another jeweler as she was in search of the brooch she'd lost to marquis Everton’s son. The man, though annoying, became her friend and fiance before she realized everything was a lie. Honestly glad she snapped out of whatever trance everyone else seems to be trapped in. Knowing in her right mind she wouldn't want to be friends with such a disrespectful prick. He was going to end up being her worst enemy in the end either way, as he’ll end up using and betraying not only her but everyone else involved. Not sure why she even thought that forgiveness was an option after what he did. 

In her next performance she's to walk down the baker's alleyway and almost get mugged by some wimpy robbers. Although she can take them herself remembering the self defense she'd taught herself throughout the loop. Although with the loop reset so does her body, along with the muscle and agility that came along with it. However this is where she encounters Cassandria again. Passing by on her carriage and seeing what happened comes to help. Having been saved by her twice in one day, seeing her wield a sword telling her thank you. Cassandria offers her a ride back to her residence and just as before she accepts. 

Penelope goes home and walks in then she hears Giselle begin to scold her telling her that's why she needs to take guards with her. Penelope ignores her setting the book down and putting the brooch down; she heads to the bathroom to freshen up.

Afterwards Penelope hides the brooch somewhere in her room so her brother doesn't find it. However, she knows no matter where she'll put it he'll definitely find it. Penelope sits in her bed and begins to read the strange book she'd bought. Surprise washes over her when she realizes that the story in it detailed her life. However, she notices something has changed; the scene where her and her soon to be fiance are at the jewelry shop.

However, after that everything else was just as she remembered, she remembered. Making her question what made that one so different and what made the change. Giving that something had to have happened feeling like this was her ticket to end this nightmare of hers. Going to see what happened at the Marchioness's luncheon with this change.

When she went there something different had indeed happened, which 1. she was now in the Marchioness's good graces. She's not sure whether or not that's entirely good or bad and 2. Apart from her soon to be fiance still being aloof to her; he was actually acting decent for once.

Penelope is not sure what Grace had fallen upon her over night. However, after looking in the book and seeing the scene also changed there she's determined to cut whatever string of fate she'd been tied to. Wondering if this strange book had anything to do with it. Giselle thought something might be wrong with her, seeing her grin from ear to ear laughing to herself.

Penelope found herself going back to being a guard at the palace after her leave ended. In that week alone before going back she'd changed several scenes. One of them had gathered illegal documents with baron Fletcher and other nobles signatures on them and delivered them to Duke Cresentias under his daughter's name. Due to the plot Cassandria is given the memories of doing this and gets all the credit.

Another is that she helped viscount and viscountess Wilreign reunite with their long lost son, after an anonymous tip off of where he would be and the person who had him. All moving according to the plot with only a few minor changes. One thing she couldn't understand is how she still manages to get engaged and why her fiance is suddenly following her around.

Someone might think they're a happy couple but they're not and she's annoyed by it. However, over time she'd come to enjoy his presence a little more leaning into his advances while fighting with herself. Knowing that if she does, she'll go right back to square one, giving the plot what it wants.

Nevertheless, she found herself slowly giving in; she comes to learn that there was something she didn't notice about the plot that made her fiance the way he was in the previous loops. It's much darker than she would have been led to believe and that she's connected somehow. Realizing that she has to kill the man she loves regardless.

Now back at the scene she dreads the most, seeing her fiance's eyes dark but with a hint of remorse and melancholy. As if he knew what was bound to happen. He nods as she places a hand to his chest saying an incantation she refused to cry but the tears weren't stopping. The tears rolling down her face as he places one last kiss on her forehead she hears those words. "Thank you for being by my side even to the end." It's different almost like a good bye but now he was sadly at peace. His body drops to the floor with her tears washing over him.

It was done, her heart thumping viciously in her chest as she remembered the incantation he whispered in her ears when they hugged. What she'd thought all along was a mind control spell, it was actually a blessing to keep her from the darkness spreading through them both.

Her heart beat faster knowing that her time was slowly coming to an end as well. With him being dead the blessing had worn off the chains of the darkness constricting her heart, feeling it hard to breathe. She sat down next to her dead fiance running her hand through his hair. " I hope we have a happier ending in the next loop."

Penelope's vision begins to grow fuzzy and her body heavy, she lays down next to her fiance feeling sleepy. Someone bursts through the doors calling her name. Penelope smiles with her last thought being "Don't cry, we'll meet again." Before everything goes black.

Penelope hears voices as she begins opening her eyes again looking to see Cassandria, and Giselle looking down at her. Asking her if she's alright and glad that she finally woke up. She wonders what happened as this has never happened in any of her prior loops ever. Penelope tries sitting up feeling her body being very heavy; when she looks over at her desk by the window. She sees her fiance sitting there peacefully sleeping, Giselle says that he'd been looking for a way to break whatever curse was placed on the both of them.

It seemed to have worked. He slowly opens his eyes and Penelope feels like she could burst into tears. "Kass" she says and he looks over and rushes to her side. He held her face in his hand feeling relieved and over joyed bringing her into a sudden hug. She can't believe it either, crying that it really was the end, it was finally over.

July 20, 2024 02:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.