The unforgettable night.

Submitted into Contest #93 in response to: Write a story about a character who gets lost at a carnival or festival.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction High School


I really wished all of this was a dream. My ex, the party, the outfits, everything. Even my parents. This was complete chaos.


 Let me take it back a little. A week ago, my friend invited me to her homecoming party. I have never been to a party before. My friend was one of the popular kids and, I was a nobody. She was constantly asked to attend parties. She partied almost every week. Me on the other hand, my parents kept me locked up. They always said that they were “ Protecting me from the world” but that's all just an excuse.


The real reason was that they didn’t want me to go into the world find a guy, and have my heart broken. But little did they know, it was already broken. Anyway, I was shocked when she asked me because she was wayyy too popular for me and people would talk. She said that I wouldn’t matter and just brushed it off.


During the one-week period, I did my best to get good grades, tried to be a good daughter in front of my parents, and got a part-time job to buy an outfit. After a few days of doing that, I popped the big question to my parents. Their answers were unexpected. They both agreed that I did very well this past week and I deserved a reward. 


After that, I purchased my outfit and got ready for the party. My friend, Haley came to pick me up. She dropped me off at the Bus Stop which was a little far from the party and left. She was too scared to go into a social setting.


I looked on my phone to find the address and started walking to what I thought was the address, turns out I was at the wrong address. After searching for a couple of minutes I realized that I was lost. After sitting in front of a convenience store for 5 more minutes I got a text from the friend who invited me to the party She realized that I wasn’t at the party location and sent me the right address for the party.


I was exhausted after my trip but I didn’t want my trip to be useless. The party location was a few blocks away. It took about 10 minutes to get there. When I got there, the house was lit! There were decorations everywhere and the house was so big that over 200 people could probably fit in there and still have some leftover space. As I was about to enter, I started to panic and tremble. I was contemplating whether or not I should go in. But in the end, I went in.


When I went in, I was shocked by how organized the party was. I thought it was going to like how the parties in movies are. Everyone had their own specific seats. I thought that I was in a restaurant. I was assigned to sit at table 4. As I began to sit down I realized that the person at table 5 looked familiar. After I found out, I felt uneasy. I stared at him for 5 minutes straight and a light bulb went on. 


Then I unconsciously say, “it’s you isn’t it”, and he responds “Wow, you still recognize me”, then, “I say, how can I not, we have so much history together”. If you haven’t figured it out this was my ex-boyfriend. We used to be neighbors. I had a huge crush on him. Then one day, out of nowhere he confessed to me. I was shocked at first but then, I was relieved. He was my first love, took my first kiss, and he was just amazing. But after a couple of years of dating, my parents told me that we were moving. I was so heart broken. I left without telling him and never called him again.


{Back to the present}. I was going thru a state of shock and a sudden rush of emotions. What do I do in this situation? I was mentally freaking out and didn’t know what to do so the only thing I could think of was to rush to the bathroom and text my friends. Not knowing how long it would take, I sent her a message. A few minutes later, I decided to call her. She said, “Why are you calling me” in a sharp voice. Then I said “ So I ran into my ex and I started talking to him and now I don’t know what to do. Should I run away, continue the conversation, or ignore him” She told me to ignore him. She used that method on all four of her ex-boyfriends. The only difference was that she didn’t like or love any of them. I said my thanks and ended my call. 


I decided to text another friend and asked her for advice. She told me to be honest about my feelings and tell him how I felt. When she said that I was shocked. I joked saying that after she got a boyfriend she became a relationship expert. She sent a smiley face and wrote “maybe”. I decided to take her advice and left the bathroom. Right when I stepped out of the bathroom, there was someone in front of the bathroom door. I looked up and I saw the face of my ex. 


Right when I was about to speak, he kissed me on the lips. I was honestly overjoyed. The last time I kissed him was about a year ago. It felt nice to be able to kiss him again. As I slowly began to open my eyes, I saw my parents from the corner of my eye. I quickly pushed my ex away. I walked towards my parents asking them what they were doing here. They told me that they have been following me since it was my first time in 7 years since I have been to a party.


They told me that they were shocked that the first thing I did was kiss a guy. My parents yelled from across the room to my ex, asking him what his reason was for kissing me. When he turned around, they were astonished to see that it was our old neighbor. I was having very deep thoughts, trying to come up with an explanation for what they had witnessed. 


My ex clearly didn’t get the vibe and said that he was my ex. My parents turned around like one of these people who find out that they have been lied to in soap operas. They looked at me will boiling rage. They looked at me like I was someone they never knew, like someone who had stolen their daughter's identity. They asked me how long we dated and I could lie.


My dad yelled, “So you went out with a guy before. And that guy was our neighbor! How come I didn’t realize it. You would always go to his house and stay there for hours.” My mom was standing there crying. Everyone at the party was watching everything that was happening. It was like we were filming a soap opera. A couple of people were recording what was going on their phones.


I was under so much stress and didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know what to do and how to react to this. I hated social situations and being watched by so many people. My vision slowly became blurry and the last thing I heard was my parents calling my name.




May 14, 2021 23:29

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.